• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Need a cheap streamer for outdoor patio speakers

Jdunk54nl

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I recently switched my yamaha avr that had zone 2 capabilities to the htp-1 which does not. This leaves me with a need for a cheap music streamer for my outside patio/pool area. It doesn't have to be anything nice and would prefer something less than $100. An Aiyima A07 amp is used to power them so this will need to feed that either via RCA or AUX.

It needs to be able to stream spotify and airplay. Those are all that we use and we aren't switching at this time. The wife prefers spotify over the others and that is that.

Right now my front runner is the google chromecast audio. You can still find some around and they are $49. Another choice is the Allo mini boss player, but that seems harder to use compared to the google chromecast audio. It needs to be easy to use for others, not just me.

A smart speaker with aux out would work too, but it can't be an amazon device, nothing against them, just others in the family have them and would "steal" the audio. I've played that game.

Digital Mastering System

I love my numerous chromecast audios. Use their own analog for less than critical uses or team them with a good dac via the optical and you are set. I use them with Roon, TuneIn, and other apps. Works great. I don't understand the other 'streamers' out there that cost more. What's the advantage again?

Smitty2k1

I love my numerous chromecast audios. Use their own analog for less than critical uses or team them with a good dac via the optical and you are set. I use them with Roon, TuneIn, and other apps. Works great. I don't understand the other 'streamers' out there that cost more. What's the advantage again?
My only gripe with the Chomecast Audio is the lack of gapless playback of my media files. Raspberry Pi with PiCorePlayer solved that. Use both for my in-ceiling speakers at home. Chromecast Audio is great for the streaming services.

Nfalck

My only gripe with the Chomecast Audio is the lack of gapless playback of my media files. Raspberry Pi with PiCorePlayer solved that. Use both for my in-ceiling speakers at home. Chromecast Audio is great for the streaming services.
I started with a CCA, then a Raspberry Pi 4 worth USB output, now using a Bluesound Node for streaming to my DAC.

Sound quality is basically the same for all via digital out, and i think the CCA is the best option for Spotify streaming. I heard a slight improvement in detail on some tracks in Tidal using the RPi, but honestly that might have just been in my head. My problem with the RPi running Volumio was that it kept glitching in Tidal Connect, which is how I stream. For Spotify, i think it would work just as well as a CCA (but not any better).

The value for me of the Bluesound is that:
a) it outputs some songs in a higher bitrate to my DAC (in particular MQA songs) and I feel i can hear a difference, although it isn't huge
b) works great with Tidal Connect, doesn't crash when switching from one track to another as the RPi/Volumio setup did, and
c) most importantly, the ease of use for my family. The buttons on top of the new Node that can be set to play different radio stations or playlists with the touch of a button are a great feature.

but i know that's more than yours looking to spend! I'd go with the Chromecast Audio.

OP
Jdunk54nl

Jdunk54nl

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I ordered a chrome cast audio yesterday.

The outdoor speakers are JBL SP6CII (one is starting to have the surround break apart) in ceiling under the patio and then yamaha outdoor NSAW150W speakers pointing at the pool. One Yamaha and one JBL are wired in parallel for each side to present a 4 ohm load to the aiyima amp.
So nothing that is going to matter with higher bit rate stuff, too many other issues. But for outdoor use, they have music and work just fine.

Top Bottom