• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Integrating subs to main speakers with PC software.

Excalibur

Hi,

i've been wanting to add subwoofers to my main speakers for a while now. Now that i have gathered (i hope ) all the necessary equipment im asking you for help me to install all together.

I use PC for listening music from Tidal. Other software installed:

Foobar, EKIO, dePhonica, REW.

Hardware:

PC, plenty of amplifier channels, eight channel DAC, behringer 202hd, behringer ecm8000, 2.5 way speakers, 2x diy subs.

The idea is to use crossover / DSP software and cut low end from the main speakers and add the subs. Then add some EQ and other DSP candys if needed.

First problem is how to stream music from Tidal to crossover / DSP software and then to DAC? Anyone try this?

Thank you.

RichCh

Just to share some ideas, I am aware two possible opitons:

1. User JRiver as main player, which has DSP crossover, EQ and other DSP "candys" built in by default. Also, it has a virtual audio driver so you can as an output of the Tidal windows app. The signal path will be: Tidal(windows app)->JRiver(with DSP)->DAC

Pros: Easy to setup, MQA supported (by the Tidal windows app)
Cons: JRiver is paid software (but worth every dollar), lack of remote song/album selection (can use Remote Desktop, but not very user friendly)

2.Still use foobar2000 as main player, add "foo_dsp_xover" plugin (as DSP crossover), other DSP plugins (such as MathAudio, PEQ etc) and Upnp plugin (to enable foobar2000 as a upnp player/renderer); Install LMS (Logitech Media Server) and install Material Skin plugin, upnp bridge plugin and Tidal plugin, then add foobar2000 as one of the LMS Player; play Tidal through LMS. The signal path will be: LMS(Tidal plugin)->foobar2000(with DSP)->DAC

Pros:All free software; remote song/album selection is more user friendly (using LMS Material Skin) or even can use native Tidal Android App to do remote song/album selection by using an Android app "LMS Connect"
Cons: Setup is more complicated , need to use multiple software and plugins; some foobar2000 plugins (such as "foo_dsp_xover) are quite old (still work but may not have active support and update); Convolution are not supported directly (but can be used through general vst plugin);No MQA, only lossless.

Another note, both option can ensure the digital stream is bit-perfect until DSPs kick in.

OP
E

Excalibur

O
I like your first option more as i use foo_dsp_xover and is realy outdated.
I was hope to go this way:
Tidal - EKIO or dePhonica - DAC
Anyone use this combination?

RichCh

I think that's doable, please refer to this thread for detail:

Based on this thread, you need ASO4All and Virtual Cable Hifi as a bridge to send to signal from any player (Tidal app, Jriver or fb2k) to EKIO.

Another consideration is volume control, what's you plan to control the volume? using software or the DAC? if using software, you might need a player software (e.g. Jriver) between Tidal & EKIO as Tidal app's volume control may not be as good as others.

Also, LMS->Fb2k->EKIO->DAC is another viable option.

OP
E

Excalibur

I manage to play music now from Jriver to EKIO thanks to great thread from user ualazmak. Thank you :)

The problem is that i must set the input volume in EKIO to -25db otherwise i get clipping.
And there comes some clicks and pops from the speakers.
Any idea what could be wrong?

OP
E

Excalibur

I changed sample rate from 196kHz to 96kHz and it sounds ok now. Testing...

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
O
I like your first option more as i use foo_dsp_xover and is realy outdated.
I was hope to go this way:
Tidal - EKIO or dePhonica - DAC
Anyone use this combination?
DePhonica has no WDM driver, so you need to use something like ASIO for all and a VB virtual cable to make it work. JRiver, however, does have a WDM driver so you can stream Tidal or Qobuz to it with no problem. From there you can stream to a software crossover. I am using Dephonica because it has an Asio Sink Driver to accept the output of JRiver. Dephonica is freeware, btw. I use it in conjunction with JRiver to cross over my sub, and it works just fine. It goes from DePhonica to my Octo DAC 8 Pro via its ASIO driver.

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
EqualizerAPO

- no need to stream to it, as it acts as the APO
- you can do almost everything with it

This is the best strategy.

For then the subwoofer is well integrated regardless of the media player, including using YouTube. Everything in Windows will properly use the subwoofer.

Erici

Forum Donor
EqualizerAPO

- no need to stream to it, as it acts as the APO
- you can do almost everything with it
I vote for Equalizer APO. If you go that route, the Peace interface makes it much easier to configure.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I vote for Equalizer APO. If you go that route, the Peace interface makes it much easier to configure.
The advantage of getting JRiver in the middle is not only can its eq be used, but JRiver also makes Vst plug-ins like multichannel Dirac Live usable. JRiver even has a convolver, so any of the room corrections softwares like Audiolense or Accourate which need one become available as well.

gr-e

The advantage of getting JRiver in the middle is not only can its eq be used, but JRiver also makes Vst plug-ins like multichannel Dirac Live usable. JRiver even has a convolver, so any of the room corrections softwares like Audiolense or Accourate which need one become available as well.
EqualizerAPO has VST support and a convolver too.

Top Bottom