• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Can someone check my math?

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I keep having this ominous feeling I'm using the right triangle calculator incorrectly.

My listening position is 144" from L/R. Im trying to determine proper position of front height speakers, which Denon/Auro say is 30 degrees above. My seated ear height is 44", so tweeter axis of front heights should be 127"?

It may matter that speakers have a dip in vertical response, not really sure how much effect it would have at that (or any) height as long as I can get them angled correctly once mounted

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    90.4 KB · Views: 58
OP
T

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
math looks correct. it's high because you are pretty distant from your mains.
don't mind the vertical if you angle them

Any tips on getting the angle correct? Maybe it's just me but the cabinet shape makes it difficult to accurately determine from eyeball alone.

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor
Any tips on getting the angle correct? Maybe it's just me but the cabinet shape makes it difficult to accurately determine from eyeball alone.
You could use a laser pointer. It’s what I use to do final alignment adjustments. This is the tool I use as it also gives distance measurements.
Laser tape measure
1644766300855.png

dasdoing

Major Contributor

you can tape a string close to the tweeter and hold it tight while at LP. should be easy to eyeball a 90 degrees angle between the string and the cabinet front

dasdoing

Major Contributor
you can tape a string close to the tweeter and hold it tight while at LP. should be easy to eyeball a 90 degrees angle between the string and the cabinet front

also you can atach the string to a microfone stand at LP and earheight. than you can actualy meassure the 90 degree angle at the speaker

OP
T

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
also you can atach the string to a microfone stand at LP and earheight. than you can actualy meassure the 90 degree angle at the speaker

I'm not sure I'm following - wouldn't the 90 degree angle be where the wall meets the floor?

Hipper

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Have you been having modern art lessons?:)

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I keep having this ominous feeling I'm using the right triangle calculator incorrectly.

My listening position is 144" from L/R. Im trying to determine proper position of front height speakers, which Denon/Auro say is 30 degrees above. My seated ear height is 44", so tweeter axis of front heights should be 127"?

It may matter that speakers have a dip in vertical response, not really sure how much effect it would have at that (or any) height as long as I can get them angled correctly once mounted
The angle is supposed to measure the degrees between the tweeters of the base layer and the height layer from your ears' vantage.

The height layer's tweeter center needs to be 83" above the base layer's tweeter height center. assuming the base layer tweeter is exactly the same as your ear height (a=44"), and the distance from your ear openings and the L_R tweeters is b=144".

dasdoing

Major Contributor
The angle is supposed to measure the degrees between the tweeters of the base layer and the height layer from your ears' vantage.

The height layer's tweeter center needs to be 83" above the base layer's tweeter height center. assuming the base layer tweeter is exactly the same as your ear height (a=44"), and the distance from your ear openings and the L_R tweeters is b=144".

hence the 127" he concluded

Top Bottom