• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Focal Alpha 65 EVO Review (Studio Monitor)

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 12 3.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 42 13.1%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 206 64.2%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 61 19.0%

• Total voters

bennybbbx

Addicted to Fun and Learning
it seem important that use the rubber feet that they stand on the wooden case and not on the plastic on side. wood and plastic have diffrent tenperature coefficient so they do sometimes click when temperature change. on my speakers the wood case is 2 mm higher as the plastic and when the rubber feet is not used the plastic is sit on stative and the wood of the box have no contact to stative. not easy to explain.
In the focal manual stand that the alpha evo speakers should position from 40 cm - 3 Meter away. so i put them 55 cm away and measure on both kali and focal step response. there can see focal faster rise time. better can see in 1.5 cm away bass/woofer step response. that some part hold the 100% is good because the perfect step response should look as a rectangle. on the 55 cm distance the focal have strange step response. there come first a negative impulse later the postive from tweeter. but also focal faster. maybe they sound even more better when they are better https://audiojudgement.com/loudspeaker-step-response-measurement/
time aligned.
step response overlay 55 cm.jpg

step response 1.5 cm overlay.jpg

Attachments

• kali step response 55 cm.jpg
    kali step response 55 cm.jpg
    243.8 KB · Views: 60
  • focal step response 55 cm.jpg
    focal step response 55 cm.jpg
    244.8 KB · Views: 63
  • impulse response 1.5 cm overlay.jpg
    impulse response 1.5 cm overlay.jpg
    253.5 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Sry, but i dont see any biger difference in timing of woofer.
And thats worst case, how look the 104?

Last edited:

tomtoo

Major Contributor
But what realy is mind blowing. How can a speaker has more distortion at lower level?

dfuller

Major Contributor
But what realy is mind blowing. How can a speaker has more distortion at lower level?
As has been stated earlier in the thread: Focal thinks it's a defective tweeter. Amir has a replacement unit in for testing at some point.

Sry, but i dont see any biger difference in timing of woofer.
And thats worst case, how look the 104?
Don't encourage him.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
you ask wy 5 khz are not enough. i do many tests with 6.5 inch kali lp6 speaker. in this example

We aren't doing this again...

Please don't keep starting this up at every chance.

DLS79

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Where is a moderator when you need one!

heflys20

LOL! Anyway, whatever happened to Focal sending a new speaker?

Edit: Never mind I see he received it and needs time to test it.

dfuller

Major Contributor

YARE

Don't know when the test of the newly delivered Alpha 65 Evo will be?
There "will be" a test if someone sends him a unit or simply buys him one, else you won't see any Alpha 80 Evo's tested.

dfuller

Major Contributor
There "will be" a test if someone sends him a unit or simply buys him one, else you won't see any Alpha 80 Evo's tested.
Amir got a second unit from Focal to test because of the anomalous distortion behavior.

dfuller

Major Contributor

YARE

Nobody was asking about the Alpha 80.

"that comment says 65 for me", you can edit btw.
It was definitely a typo.

Attachments

• DB859E8D-1A36-47AB-991E-AB65EC8FBBA9.jpeg
    DB859E8D-1A36-47AB-991E-AB65EC8FBBA9.jpeg
    158.4 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:

xaviescacs

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I needed some active speakers for my living room, for the TV really, and bought the younger brothers of these, the EVO 50, by 450 € the pair. They are driven by a Sabaj A10h. I must say they are wonderful. I've set -1 db for highs as they are a bit too much for my taste, and -2 db for bass, just to follow that rule of the rear wall, more or less. I hate uncontrolled bass, and I must say these monitors are very good in that regard. With them, orchestral music feels very natural, and the double basses sound like they should and not like electrical amplified basses. Timpani sounds very clear too. I would describe their sound in my ~ 25 m² living room as very clean, without artifacts, at least for my untrained ears. Before I've had a pair of floorstanding audiovectors in the same room and in comparison they sounded as if the sound was reflecting everywhere, bringing more energy but not much more clarity than the built in speakers of the TV. With the EVO, it's night and day. Really happy with the purchase. Thanks ASR, again.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
At long last, I managed to find time to test the new factory sample of Focal EVO 65. I am pleased to report that the distortion I saw at 86 dBSPL is not there:

index.php

On the left was a repeat of the measurement on sample #1 to make sure I could repeat it. As you see, I did. On the right is the new factory sample and it doesn't have this issue at all. I will be sending my sample to them for investigation.

I edit the review and upgraded the rating for the speaker. Seeing how quickly and positively the company responded to my testing, I am doubly impressed with this speaker and company.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
LOL! Anyway, whatever happened to Focal sending a new speaker?

Edit: Never mind I see he received it and needs time to test it.
It was such bad timing. Our home flooded right after I received it. Then my speaker measurement space became plumbing central to deal with the flood. Was going to test it a couple of weeks ago but then we flooded again. I still can't walk through the space but could do the distortion test and hence above. My apology to you all and the company for not getting this done sooner.

Top Bottom