• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Minidsp Flex Review (Audio DSP)

Rate this product:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 4 0.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 16 2.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 117 20.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 435 76.0%

• Total voters

ah-ra

YESS....! This is what many of us have been waiting for! Thanks for the review Amir!
A 2x4HD in a nicer package with even better (sota) performance. The 2x4 is already a great kit as audio interface with DSP and X-over function. Happy to see this one measuring even better.

This shows what the future in "high end" (not high price) audio will look like. The in room sound quality in room you can achieve with this unit is the future and room EQ can no longer be ignored by so called "audiophiles".....

Wouldn't it be great to have a quality implementation of this in a slim line AVR...?

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Very very good news...

Now just need to decide if I get the balanced or unbalanced version - all my kit so far is unbalanced (Turntable and amp), but future amp may well be balanced. Obviously mini dsp will replace current DAC.

Sort of waiting for the next topping (PA7? PA9?) to decide.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Now add HDMIs, codecs support and more balanced outputs, turning it into a full featured AVP, and I would be interested.

Tangband

Major Contributor
In my personal experience I'd say the advantages of Dirac Live over what can be done manually with the Flex are very much in the ease of use rather than performance category, although for the majority that simply won't have the inclination or aptitude to do more manually there will effectively be a performance benefit too.

Edit: it's perhaps worth highlighting that the version of Dirac Live available for the Flex will not optimise subwoofer integration in terms of time delays or crossover filters though. All it will do is smooth the combined response of the main speakers and subwoofer(s), which in itself is of course very useful but not fully optimal.
Perfect subwoofer integration can be done with this mini-dsp , because you have a two way digital crossover in stereo inbuilt. Ofcourse you need both extensive listening and measurements to do that. But it can be done:).

As an example, one can use two passive loudspeakers and two subwoofers in stereo without inbuilt crossovers and very easily implement a 36 dB/oct crossover at , if you want, 80 Hz , both low pass and high pass in the active dsp domain. :)
ofcourse you need two amplifiers to. Dirac room correction is something one can implement later .

Even better soundwise is , in my opinion the fully active approach - as an example a DIY construction with purifi 6,5 inch woofer and a good waveguide tweeter crossed digitaly with no passive components at all, with LT correction in bass can easily be transformed to a full range two- way digital crossover system 30-20000 Hz. Time-corrected. All that can be done with this unit.

suttondesign

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Anyone planning to use this for an active crossover for a LXmini or any other Linkwitz speaker?
Yes. LXmini. but not until the version with digital outputs is released. It is listed in the manual, and the minidsp site says it is coming soon. That would allow me to use a SOTA dac after the processing in the minidsp.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I have an ADC already with like 115dB SINAD. Should be more than enough to show if the channels are identical.
Isn't the thing able to route back the processed data over USB? If you suspect the sample rate conversion, you can test this out with the full digital path as well.

kongwee

Major Contributor
This was the one I've been waiting for since the announcement! Thanks for reviewing it this fast. The result is even better than expected, this is a brilliant piece of kit!

Whoooo. Hyped, hyped, hyped.

Edit: I have one question before I pre-order. I don't use long cable runs. Is there any advantage to the higher output voltage of the balanced version? Otherwise I see no reason not to get the RCA version for home use.
From the product description, my guess they are not good at implementing differential. So I bet RCA on this product even it has higher noise than XLR in spec. For me, I will travel to listen for this product if I want to buy.

capslock

How can THD bei good and IMD mediocre unless it's a resampling thing? A nonlinear amplitude transfer function will cause a related degradation of both THD and IMD in a predictable manner.

Top Bottom