• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Emotiva MC-1 Review (Home Theater Processor)

Rate this AV Processor

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 92 36.8%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 126 50.4%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 25 10.0%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 7 2.8%

• Total voters

Repdetect

Forum Donor
That's really bad if it is the case. No way a center speaker creates the same modal response as the left or right. And certainly not the ceiling.
It's NOT the case.

raindance

Major Contributor
It probably has similar functionality to REW's EQ window, wherein PEQ filters can be automatically generated to move a measured curve toward the direction of a target curve with some level of accuracy. This is pure speculation on my part, therefore totally worthy of being on the Internet.
Hahaha!!! Actually, funny enough, there used to be some processors where the room measurements were only used to set speaker level, distance and crossover, with no auto-EQ. The "purist" version. You were welcome to screw up the sound yourself :).

I did some searching and found test results (Audioholics) that confirm my suspicion that the UMC-200 I have been using (and am quite happy with) was also down sampling to 48kHz when using bass management/room EQ. See link below (measurement section).
https://www.audioholics.com/av-preamp-processor-reviews/umc-200-a-v-processor

The UMC-200 does however incorporate a true "Pure Direct" mode, which the MC-1 apparently, sadly, does not.

The UMC-200 also includes a 7.1 analog input section which I use when playing my OPPO BDP (its also the only way I have of playing native DSD). The analog inputs are a disappearing feature on most gear these days. I was planning to keep the UMC-200 in the system for this reason, using a switchbox to swap inputs to the main power amp as needed.

good idea?

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I really like to ship this unit to its owner and move on folks. I am so far behind in reviews given the stuff I still have to do around the house.

If I was @High End Refugee I would want to know the actual performance of my unit with the subsonic filter disengaged. Of course I would also want more thorough investigation of what happens when various processing is engaged as that is a rather critical aspect of AVR performance but it doesn’t sound like that is in the cards.

Michael

MerlinGS

Forum Donor
It's NOT the case.
Are you sure? Do you own one and did you test the eq process? The AT 300, which is an "upgraded" version of the MC 1 (it includes XLR outputs), is setup that way. Also, the manual for the MC 1 seems to suggest it also works that way:

"The MC1 has three sets of manual EQ settings (EQ 1, EQ 2, and EQ 3.). Each of these sets offers several parametric equalizer filters for each set of speakers."

As you may note, it does not state that it offers "several parametric" eq. filters for each speaker, instead it offers it for each "set of speakers"; i.e. grouping of speakers.

Fahzz

Forum Donor
Quite a few reviews by Amir showing Emotiva is shooting for the "good enough" crowd, at least in product development. Not sure on their website and marketing lingo, as it has been a while since I've looked them up.
My question is why would someone who can afford enough speakers to run a 13.2 (or 10.1 etc.) system be even remotely interested in this thing? Why not just make it a better 7.2 unit, for around the same price? I've been looking for something like that for years.

Miker 1102

Forum Donor
According the the manual, bass management is active even when in "Pure Mode" for digital signals

Pure - applies the least possible processing to both analog and digital sources. Bass Management and distance correction are still applied with digital sources, but not with analog sources, and EQ is bypassed.

Direct - delivers the source signal with minimum modification, while still applying system equalization, and room correction, to both analog and digital sources.
My understanding of this is that the unit would always be resampling the input to ouput at 24/48.. effectively digitizing everything. I have a Sony that does this and I really like the sound but they sell people that they are playing these "high res" files back with perfect fidelity when they are not. Seems like lying to me.

Miker 1102

Forum Donor
And that's were I lost it. Not that I care about reproducing ultrasonic noise that my ears can't pick up persay, but just the raw fact that this thing is still doing some sort of (unadvertised) internal DSP even in Pure/Direct/BypassThatDSP Mode.

Bonkers.
Agreed. But they are all like this as far as I know.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
There is a thread on the Emotiva Lounge about the MC-1 highlighting its features and some of the problems. While there you can look at the RMC-1 FW thread for a long list of issues, some of which are still not fixed 2+ years after it started shipping to consumers.

digicidal

Major Contributor
There is a thread on the Emotiva Lounge about the MC-1 highlighting its features and some of the problems. While there you can look at the RMC-1 FW thread for a long list of issues, some of which are still not fixed 2+ years after it started shipping to consumers.
Emotiva gear, like so many "budget friendlier" alternatives, always seem incredible on paper; but when you actually try to live with it - not so much. My 8801's may not be SOTA by any stretch - but they have always had 100% of the marketed functionality, meet their specs (which are admittedly not incredible), and have never failed to turn on in the 8 years I've owned them.

In the same amount of time, I've had a number of Emotiva products serviced under warranty - or thrown away out of warranty. :confused:

My understanding of this is that the unit would always be resampling the input to ouput at 24/48.. effectively digitizing everything. I have a Sony that does this and I really like the sound but they sell people that they are playing these "high res" files back with perfect fidelity when they are not. Seems like lying to me.
I think it resamples any digital input >48kHz to 48kHz. I dont think it digitizes the analog inputs unless the BM and/or EQ is turned on. That is also the way my UMC-200 works.

I do wonder what it does with something like an 88.2kHz signal. Does it resample to 48kHz or 44.1kHz?

D

Deleted member 19122

Pioneer MCACC(and I belive YPAO from Yamaha) did not down sample hi rez files as of there last ownership under Onkyo.Newer stuff coming out from Pioneer I don't know for sure but traditionally MCACC didn't downsample hi rez

Pioneer MCACC(and I belive YPAO from Yamaha) did not down sample hi rez files as of there last ownership under Onkyo.Newer stuff coming out from Pioneer I don't know for sure but traditionally MCACC didn't downsample hi rez
My son has a Pioneer AVR that's about 4 years old. It does resample to 48kHz when using EQ. If my memory is correct, so did the first version of Audessey. Dirac is the only system that did not AFAIK I cant speak for the Yamaha gear.

Last edited:
You can look here to find all the problems that the UMC-200 had:
- https://www.avsforum.com/threads/official-emotiva-umc-200-thread.1491348

I would assume the MC-1 may be suffering from similar problems ...
The majority of the listed "bugs" were addressed after a pair of firmware updates. Most importantly was the bass routing. The unit still has a few flaws IMO, but they are minor for me.

I would expect firmware updates for the MC-1 as well. I do have a problem understanding how Emotiva (and others as well) let this stuff out the door without enough prior testing to discover these bugs before the consumer does.

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
same with the xmc-2. Why people continue to look at Emotiva I dont know. Value? Maybe but if the product fails and they dont fix it after years, how much is that used in determining its "value".

Sprint

Forum Donor
My son has a Pioneer AVR that's about 4 years old. It does resample to 48kHz when using EQ. If my memory is correct, so did the first version of Audessey. Dirac is the only system that did not AFAIK I cant speak for the Yamaha gear.
I have a Yamaha processor and I can check that. I do not use any EQ though. I once checked with my Apple 4K TV and Apple was down sampling to 48KHZ. I will now check with my PANASONIC Blu Ray and see what is happening.

same with the xmc-2. Why people continue to look at Emotiva I dont know. Value? Maybe but if the product fails and they dont fix it after years, how much is that used in determining its "value".
I think what you are saying pertains mainly to Processors. And within that group, then biggest offender is the gear that is not sourced from Tonewinner. The power amps and the loudspeakers are mostly well accepted.

On the value front, If the MC-1 serves the customers purpose as my UMC-200 did/does. They are bargains at the price.

The UMC-200 was $599 when new. The MC-1 was $999, but with the double Emobucks it was $799. I used the $200 credit to help pay for the Vaulta Atmos speakers, which I also like quite a bit.

Last edited:

Sirphatsalot

I noticed hidden in the menu under the "Trims" tab, there is an option for "DRC" (Dynamic range control). The default setting is Auto. I wonder if turning this off affects any of these measurements.

unnamed.jpg

Top Bottom