• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of WesionTEK Khadas Tone Board DAC

PuX

does it require any drivers? can't see any downloads on their website. also, does it support ASIO?

I'm only asking because the format support is so impressive, usually generic drivers don't go beyond 24 bit 96 khz:
PCM: Up to 768KHz @ 32bit
DSD: Up to DSD256 @ 1bit

Nango

Major Contributor
Here you will find under "download" the driver for windows. They also sell internationally direct from their shop (free-shipping)!!

If I wanted to run this with an USB-Powerbank which delivers 1.8A, will this be enough amperage pls?

Reactions: PuX

bunkbail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Here you will find under "download" the driver for windows. They also sell internationally direct from their shop (free-shipping)!!

If I wanted to run this with an USB-Powerbank which delivers 1.8A, will this be enough amperage pls?
They only need 0.5 A, so yeah.

gvl

Major Contributor
Why use a USB power-bank? Is the expectation that a battery is inherently cleaner than a switcher?

Nango

Major Contributor
Not that reason, it is simply due to higher flexibilty, I might listen in different rooms or far away from the wall socket. The power bank has two 5V outputs, usually one drives the DAP and one drives the Allo Digione that feeds into the DAP by coax.

I just bought one of those Khadas Boards due to the good meassurements here and will test it against an Allo Boss and a Teac P90 I normally use.

What I did not found on their webshop is the headphone and iem they also promote on the web. And I hope they dont come up in a couple of weeks the new version like Allo.com did with its Digione.

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Posting THD+N versus frequency using 90 kHz bandwidth instead of 22.5 used in the dashboard (it better includes harmonic and noise response of higher frequencies):

Khadas Tone Board DAC USB THD versus Frequency Measurement.png

As I noted this is of course without a case. A metal case may improve things a bit if the noise sources are external.

miero

Posting THD+N versus frequency using 90 kHz bandwidth instead of 22.5 used in the dashboard (it better includes harmonic and noise response of higher frequencies).
I miss some important information:
1) USB or SPDIF?
2) at 0dBFS volume?

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Posting THD+N versus frequency using 90 kHz bandwidth instead of 22.5 used in the dashboard (it better includes harmonic and noise response of higher frequencies):

index.php

The AP is defaulting to very coarse frequency steps again with 5/6 steps only between 6.5KHz and 20KHz. What's the deal with that?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
The AP is defaulting to very coarse frequency steps again with 5/6 steps only between 6.5KHz and 20KHz. What's the deal with that?
It is a log sweep so runs out of steps toward the end. I can make it linear, add more steps, etc. Unless we are investigating something there, I opt for the faster sweep. :)

PuX

I wonder why there is no case for it.

it should fit in a box like the one used for Grace SDAC or JDSLabs OL DAC or O2 amp. they'd have to find a way to mount it inside and create a custom back panel for the inputs/outputs.

I bet they could sell a finished version in much greater volumes than a board. only a very specific group of people buys boards.

Veri

Master Contributor
Their main market was another (pi-like) product. The tone board is plug and play as standalone or add-on, but a case for it alone is being worked on (was not their highest priority). I guess you could say it was an unexpected home-run :) better performance in smaller pcb space than the Topping D50, very nice indeed.

I agree we need a case though, not to mention amir saying performance could actually be better when shielded from outside interference.

rajapruk

Forum Donor

View attachment 16463

As I noted this is of course without a case. A metal case may improve things a bit if the noise sources are external.

How is Topping D50 in this regard?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
How is Topping D50 in this regard?
It is in the review thread of D50:

index.php

Scales are in dB so here is the previous graph with the same dB scale:

1539628997774.png

The bandwidth are different so don't compare > 10 Khz spectrum.

rajapruk

Forum Donor
Thanks Amir. D50 is more well-behaved in high frequencies than Khadas Tone Board (without enclosure) is my interpretation, even if graphs are not comparable, right?

Last edited:

Nango

Major Contributor
It seems they are the same board, the generic version doesn't have the VIM headers soldered on but they can be added later if needed. If you plan to run it standalone just get the generic version.
The VIM has possibility of setting the spdif to output, the generic is only input, no output, according to their https://www.khadas.com/tone-specs.

Last edited:

Jos

Stack & Sync: this DAC seems to be the ideal candidate to stack & sync for multichannel usage. I could not find any details on this possibility yet.
Since I have a lot of ripped SACD MCH (5.1) music, I was thinking of building a mch DAC with Network access to my NAS and with Analog mch outputs as well as HDMI output.... It seems almost impossible to find such a device that is comparable with the OPPO 205 feature set.

Top Bottom