• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Full Noob seeks guidance - Which Amp?

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
For streaming to older units I use Chromecast Audio....any NOS still available down there? OTOH I have used the bluetooth adapter from my car before, it wasn't horrible but prefer the advantages of wifi (fidelity, distance as well as direct streams over the net).

OP
L

LilSizzle

For streaming to older units I use Chromecast Audio....any NOS still available down there? OTOH I have used the bluetooth adapter from my car before, it wasn't horrible but prefer the advantages of wifi (fidelity, distance as well as direct streams over the net).
I was thinking Chromecast Audio too...they got for about $200AUD here. Wow.

Also, I'm a full newb baby. NOS? All I get is Fast & The Furious.
Screenshot 2022-02-08 at 12.22.28@2x.jpg

OP
L

LilSizzle

Could I run a standard google Chrome Cast into the HDMI on maybe?

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I was thinking Chromecast Audio too...they got for about $200AUD here. Wow.

Also, I'm a full newb baby. NOS? All I get is Fast & The Furious. View attachment 185057
New Old Stock....still some here but at a lower price. The supplies are dwindling here (US) last I looked, and were going for 90-100, used ones sometimes were asking 50-60. So I just checked and there was one for 50 so ordered a spare :) Still, a big difference from the clearance sale when they were closing them out of USD 15 each (retail I think was 25 or 30). Do you use android? Not sure google works with others for control....(google home app)

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Probably. Never had one. I like to use mine with older gear, so the option of analog or optical connection on the Chromecast Audio units have some options.....

OP
L

LilSizzle

New Old Stock....still some here but at a lower price. The supplies are dwindling here (US) last I looked, and were going for 90-100, used ones sometimes were asking 50-60. So I just checked and there was one for 50 so ordered a spare :) Still, a big difference from the clearance sale when they were closing them out of USD 15 each (retail I think was 25 or 30). Do you use android? Not sure google works with others for control....(google home app)
Wild price hike. Yeah, I'm going look into getting a standard ChromeCast and connecting via HDMI. I run full Apple Ecosystem so there is also the option of a cheap old Apple TV with optical out or an Airport Express. I'll look into that first.

Yeah - about $70 for one of these - Airport Express with AirPlay 2 support.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

tlin

Just to help out - Chromecast Audio mentioned earlier is a discontinued item that's a tad hard to find on the used market at this point. Chromecast Audio was an "audio only" device (no HDMI) whereas the Chromecast pucks you find today are to help turn a "dumb TV" into a "SmartTV" (apps and video streaming for services like Hulu, Netflix, etc.)......which isn't what you're looking for.

Some newer audio-video receivers (AVRs) come with "Chromecast built in" (so you can still "cast" your music from your phone/tablet directly to your receiver which serves the same purpose as the now discontinued Chromecast Audio). Here's an example (sorry, I didn't dig around on the AUS sites for ya'). Apple devices don't play well with Chromecast which is why the same receiver I linked for you also has AirPlay (and Bluetooth).

Cheers, good luck, don't forget to have a few drinks before all the dancing and keep the pics coming as your setup evolves.

:)

bloomdido

I'm a little baby when it comes to understanding what this means. I'll do some research if it starts to apply.
Basically we were speaking about two ways to integrate subwoofers: one just by sub's built-in crossover (which is usually done in stereo systems) and another by using a receiver (common in home theatre setups).

bloomdido

First, I wouldn't say receiver is the way to go - one gets less for the price if it's not 5.1 setup and all that wiring would take some time.

One thing I think OP could do is try to integrate existing amp with two A1s and the sub. The amp's power could be not enough for filling the room just by two A1s but it could be ok with the sub. It's better then to use sub's crossover to make the amp work only with higher frequences (pass signal from amp to sub's "speaker in" first and then from "speaker out" feed it to floorstanders)
If this doesn't provide enough sound power, buy Aiyima D03 from Aliexpress. Aliexpress is generally the way to go for inexpensive class D amps. D03 has bluetooth. The only problem with D03 from Aliexpress is that shipping could take 15 days or so.

OP
L

LilSizzle

Hello friends,

I went to collect the Integra Amplifier dtr-7.8 for $150 AUD. When I arrived I tried out the remote and it wasn't working. 10minutes later we gave up and he pulled out another Amp. A Pioneer VSX-519V-K so I just gave him $80 and went on my way. Got it home, plugged it all up with the Polk speakers and it works. Though it ain't that powerful, cranking it up to about 70/100 to get a good listening volume. Worried about blowing its top and over heating.

Stereo RMS Power80W per channel x 2, into 8 Ohms
Surround RMS Power110W per channel x 5, into 8 Ohms (1KHz, 0.05% THD)

In surround it sounds horrible. A lot of hiss.

I've read and learnt all about wattage, Ohms, speaker resistance and etc. So I can see that 80watts in 8Ohms 90db resistance speakers probably isn't enough.

What do people think?

I can now see that the Class D Amps are going to be too small in power to drive the speakers how I want them.

Just found a HK 3490 Stereo Receiver that has all the bells and whistles I'm looking for - $180 AUD.
2.1 Amp.
Digital Inputs.
Wow.

Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Just found a HK 3490 Stereo Receiver that has all the bells and whistles I'm looking for - $180 AUD.
That's a good one. 4 Ohm capable. A service manual is here. That could be handy one day. It has the nice and big beefy output transistors for that 4 Ohm capability. This is a good one.
Continuous Average Power (FTC
120 Watts per channel, 20Hz – 20kHz, @ <0.07% THD, both channels driven into 8 ohms.
150 Watts per channel, 20Hz – 20kHz @ <0.2% THD, both channels driven into 4 ohms
harman-kardon-hk-3490-2852016.jpg

OP
L

LilSizzle

That's a good one. 4 Ohm capable. A service manual is here. That could be handy one day. It has the nice and big beefy output transistors for that 4 Ohm capability. This is a good one.
Continuous Average Power (FTC
120 Watts per channel, 20Hz – 20kHz, @ <0.07% THD, both channels driven into 8 ohms.
150 Watts per channel, 20Hz – 20kHz @ <0.2% THD, both channels driven into 4 ohms
harman-kardon-hk-3490-2852016.jpg
Yeah. Nice to know it gets a . Also, the Integra was huge. Weighed 20kgs. This is 10kgs. Much happier with that.

DanielT

Major Contributor
Congratulations on your new home!:)

I had done this. Amp with enough watts. Clean watts.

In connection with moving in, before furnishing, think through how I get it together with the acoustics in the living room, the listening room. To fix it when I have a new room.

No neighbors nearby? As much as your wallet allows, out with lots of subwoffers in the room.Killer sound requires killer bass. :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom