• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

All new setup - advice please

Hi everyone, I've been using this site already to look at my options. Amazing amount of info and community!

I'm in the lucky position of building a new house and finally being able to spend a bit on a completely new AV setup. (I've suffered through the years of Samsung all in one HT, used for music ughh)

The key for me is that I want an awesome stereo setup combined with home theatre.

I've already bought my speakers as below -
Fyne F502SP floorstanding L + R
Fyne F500c center channel
2x Fyne F3-12 Subwoofers
2x Kef T101b for rear surround

I've already settled on a Denon x3700h (lowest model with full preouts) to drive the home theatre side of things but am looking for recommendations for the Stereo setup.

I've been looking at Integrated Amps with HT bypass but without DAC so that i can run something like a Topping D90Se into the amp for my stereo setup and that everything plays nicely together.

The options for amplifier so far are the following.
1. Rega Aethos
2. Heed Lagrange

(Thoughts most certainly welcome!)

I'm also limited with what options are available here in New Zealand.

I'm aware that none of the 2 amp options above have XLR inputs (is that bad for the D90se? Is RCA ok?)

Also looking at the reviews here around the Denon x3700h and family which score fairly high... would I actually be gaining much in the extra stereo setup with integrated amp and external dac etc or would I just be better going for the x8500h for doing it all?

Help please! :) - I've spent hours pouring over reviews but haven't got much hifi experience so not sure how much more I get by going for an integrated amp etc in the mix.

Will appreciate any advice!

Oh, and our open plan area is fairly large at 8x6 metres.

Cheers

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd say, enjoy the Denon in stereo mode and take advantage of the room correction it brings. That will do more than any DAC or amp will ever do.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

EdTice

I'd say, enjoy the Denon in stereo mode and take advantage of the room correction it brings. That will do more than any DAC or amp will ever do.
I'm of the same opinion. If absolutely needed, the X3700H can have the L/R driven off of a separate amplifier, but my guess is that it won't improve things much. A separate "stereo" system (quotes due to the use of subwoofers) is a PITA to integrate with the same speakers, involves a host of remote controls (since CEC over HDMI isn't available), and won't have room correction unless spending almost as money as the AVR. AVRs have a two channel stereo mode for a reason. And if you accidentally use a mode like PLiiX and like it better than two channel stereo, you don't have to tell anybody!

Holmz

Major Contributor
  1. What is so fine about fine speakers?
  2. How many people/seats will be watching?

OP
S
I'm of the same opinion. If absolutely needed, the X3700H can have the L/R driven off of a separate amplifier, but my guess is that it won't improve things much. A separate "stereo" system (quotes due to the use of subwoofers) is a PITA to integrate with the same speakers, involves a host of remote controls (since CEC over HDMI isn't available), and won't have room correction unless spending almost as money as the AVR. AVRs have a two channel stereo mode for a reason. And if you accidentally use a mode like PLiiX and like it better than two channel stereo, you don't have to tell anybody!
Thanks for the reply! - The subwoofers are there for the home theatre only - I invested a lot in the L + R speakers and want to make sure I am doing them justice :) - I've just started to really enjoy listening to high res music (DSD and the likes with my headphone setup) - also enjoy fiddling around with audio and have heard the difference a good dac makes in the headphone world. From everything I read on here, most people seem to bag the AVRs for the stereo quality level when compared to separates. That is what made me start down the path of looking for a good pre-amp or integrated amp with HT bypass, to allow me to have the AVR running home theatre and then having a virtually separate Stereo setup with higher quality components. Is there much sound quality difference between an AVR like the Denon x3700h and a separate setup like I am suggesting? For example if was using a Topping D90se into a Rega Aethos Integrated amp for Stereo listening.

If there really won't be a big difference to my ears, then you are totally right and I would just settle for the AVR to start with, could even look at going for a x8500h (They are on sale here in New Zealand at the moment)

From what I have been reading, is one of the main reasons people suggest the AVR due to the Room EQ? - If so, and I really wanted to go down the separates path, is it then worth investing in a minidsp with Dirac?

Really appreciate your input. Thanks :)

Last edited:
OP
S
  1. What is so fine about fine speakers?
  2. How many people/seats will be watching?
1. The Fynes sounded great to me in the showroom, to me over others I have also listened to Elac Solanos and Vela, Dali Oberons, KEF R5 - a few others I can't recall.
2. Lots

Holmz

Major Contributor
1. The Fynes sounded great to me in the showroom, to me over others I have also listened to Elac Solanos and Vela, Dali Oberons, KEF R5 - a few others I can't recall.
2. Lots

“Lots” mean a center channel is worthwhile,
For 1 or 2 people, not so much,

OP
S
Hey - I actually went in a completely different direction and got a Linn Selekt DSM with full Surround/HDMI options with built in power amps. Unfortunately I have had lots of problems with it, by what looks like mainly issues around CEC/HDMI - The shop have been working through the problems with me, but might need to return it and fall back to the plans I had originally above!

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hey - I actually went in a completely different direction and got a Linn Selekt DSM with full Surround/HDMI options with built in power amps. Unfortunately I have had lots of problems with it, by what looks like mainly issues around CEC/HDMI - The shop have been working through the problems with me, but might need to return it and fall back to the plans I had originally above!
FWIW this is a common story regarding CEC/HDMI, particularly with the boutique outfits....the big boys like Yamaha, Denon, Marantz tend to be the most reliable in this regard.

Top Bottom