• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What type of amplification do you use if you use one or more subwoofers?

What type of amplifier do you use if you use one or more subwoofers?

• Stereo amplifier w/out xover

Votes: 18 15.0%
  • Stereo amplifier with integral or external xover

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • AVR with LR speakers set to small

Votes: 35 29.2%
  • AVR with LR set to large

Votes: 11 9.2%
  • Software crossover and decoding with multiple or multi-channel amplifiers

Votes: 26 21.7%

• Total voters

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I want trying to find out how ASR members use their subwoofers. If you have multiple systems, please answer the question for the system where you listen to music predominantly and/or treat it as your main system. Please use your vote even if you posted your the answer.

By amplifier I mean the type of amplification you use to drive the main speakers. If you use stereo active speaker please consider them as stereo amplifier. (In effect they are two mono-block amplifiers.)

By xover I mean an active crossover device (analogue or DSP) either external to the main amplifier that feeds the LR speakers or an integral HP filter that is inbuilt to the main amplifier. Please exclude the amplifier that powers the subwoofers.

By software crossover I mean a digital device that is programmable, like a DSP unit.

Thank you for your help.

PS. Maybe you will consider voting on my other poll on subwoofer xover frequency?

Last edited:

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
I do crossover in software using a multi channel DAC. Voted for option #2.
I do crossover in software using a multichannel DAC. Basically, a 5.1(3) system with 5 channels plus 3 subs. No AVR, no stereo amp.

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I do crossover in software using a multichannel DAC. Basically, a 5.1(3) system with 5 channels plus 3 subs. No AVR, no stereo amp.
I added another answer that I hope will cover your case.

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I do crossover in software using a multi channel DAC. Voted for option #2.
I added an option to address your case.

anotherhobby

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
System1: Denon AVR-X430H w/ internal 60 Hz crossover to single sub and using Audyssey room correction
System2: miniDSP Flex internal crossover at 80 Hz feeding 2 different stereo amps (one for mains one for dual subs) and using Dirac room correction

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
System1: Denon AVR-X430H w/ internal 60 Hz crossover to single sub and using Audyssey room correction
System2: miniDSP Flex internal crossover at 80 Hz feeding 2 different stereo amps (one for mains one for dual subs) and using Dirac room correction
As I said on my poll description please vote according to the value on the the system where you listen to music predominantly and treat it as your main system.

LarryRS

Backert Labs Rhumba Extreme preamp to PS Audio BHK Signature 300 monoblock amps driving Magneplanar 3.7i's and MartinLogan Dynamo 1100x's. Subs have built in crossovers and ARC room correction.

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Backert Labs Rhumba Extreme preamp to PS Audio BHK Signature 300 monoblock amps driving Magneplanar 3.7i's and MartinLogan Dynamo 1100x's. Subs have built in crossovers and ARC room correction.
That is option 1, in case you have not voted.

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Amplifier?

Plate amps and monoblocks don't get counted.

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Amplifier?

Plate amps and monoblocks don't get counted.
By amplifier I mean the amplifier that powers the main speakers. Please exclude the amplifier that powers the subwoofers.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
I voted 5 as it's closest, but hardware DSP crossover and multiple amp channels in the same box.

OP
sarumbear

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I voted 5 as it's closest, but hardware DSP crossover and multiple amp channels in the same box.
Thank you for voting. I am intrigued. What is that device?

D

Deleted member 43441

But but but… I have three subwoofers, and I use them in different ways. For home theater and music in my preamp… speakers set the small, and the same for two channel which I usually listen to in pure direct mode. As long as speakers are set to small in pure direct mode there is subwoofer output from the pre-pro.

I also use an XLR switcher to switch between my tube preamp and my pre-pro. That way I run the single ended out to the subs and let the subs do the crossover, and the XLR outs to my amps.

Choice is good at times.

Edit;
My vote was AVR LR speakers set to small

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom