• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which DAC measurements do you like to see next?

bunkbail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I'd be pretty confident the Khadas will sound exactly the same as the D30 and the Mojo, TBH. You might be better off sticking with the R2R-11, or searching for something else with audible distortion that you're likely to enjoy the sound of.
Unfortunately that's not an option. The R2R-11 has pretty high noise floor and it causes audible hisses when connected to my speakers (for my streaming setup). The Mojo does do a good job for it but I don't want to plug it in 24/7 only to make the battery go kaput in a few months. Just a side note, I do believe that good measuring DACs can sound better than the R2R-11 coz I've listened to several that I like much better than it (Hugo 2 and DAVE to name a few). Granted I didn't do any ABX testing and whatnot, but it still doesn't change the fact that I do like good performing DACs.

Mojo is a much better sounding DAC than D30 by the way.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Unfortunately that's not an option. The R2R-11 has pretty high noise floor and it causes audible hisses when connected to my speakers (for my streaming setup). The Mojo does do a good job for it but I don't want to plug it in 24/7 only to make the battery go kaput in a few months. Just a side note, I do believe that good measuring DACs can sound better than the R2R-11 coz I've listened to several that I like much better than it (Hugo 2 and DAVE to name a few). Granted I didn't do any ABX testing and whatnot, but it still doesn't change the fact that I do like good performing DACs.

Mojo is a much better sounding DAC than D30 by the way.

What was your opinion of the sound of the D30? Would be interested to hear your subjective impressions/comparisons of all these DACs actually... :)

bunkbail

Forum Donor
What was your opinion of the sound of the D30? Would be interested to hear your subjective impressions/comparisons of all these DACs actually... :)
I tend not to give any subjective opinions coz they are mostly unpopular around here. But since you're directly asking me for one, please spare my life coz it has been awhile since I used the D30 and I don't remember exactly how it sounded. I'm not that good using words and all I can say is that it sounds boring. It doesn't excite me as much as the R2R-11 and Mojo. I tried to embrace it and exclusively used it for a week straight (using Gustard H10 as headphone amp + HD660S/M1060) and when I went back to either R2R-11 and Mojo I realized I missed them so much. Coming off the top of my head, with those DACs I can vividly hear guitars plucking as if they're around my head, but with D30 they sounded hazy and not as impactful. And the treble are harsh too, some tracks were sibilant where they are not as bad on the other 2 DACs. There are a few other things that I didn't like how it sounded but couldn't recall right now.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I tend not to give any subjective opinions coz they are mostly unpopular around here. But since you're directly asking me for one, please spare my life coz it has been awhile since I used the D30 and I don't remember exactly how it sounded. I'm not that good using words and all I can say is that it sounds boring. It doesn't excite me as much as the R2R-11 and Mojo. I tried to embrace it and exclusively used it for a week straight (using Gustard H10 as headphone amp + HD660S/M1060) and when I went back to either R2R-11 and Mojo I realized I missed them so much. Coming off the top of my head, with those DACs I can vividly hear guitars plucking as if they're around my head, but with D30 they sounded hazy and not as impactful. And the treble are harsh too, some tracks were sibilant where they are not as bad on the other 2 DACs. There are a few other things that I didn't like how it sounded but couldn't recall right now.

Thanks :) Certainly not planning to pick you apart. Do the Mojo and R2R-11 sound different from each other to you? (Feel free to PM if you don't wanna post these dirty secrets publicly here haha)

bunkbail

Forum Donor
Thanks :) Certainly not planning to pick you apart. Do the Mojo and R2R-11 sound different from each other to you? (Feel free to PM if you don't wanna post these dirty secrets publicly here haha)
They are more similar than different, these differences are subtle but very noticeable to me. Mojo sounds cleaner, more neutral/natural and have wider soundstage to my ears whereas the R2R-11 sounds sweeter in the highs, vocals sound more blissful, more forward sounding, better imaging and layering and overall sounds more lifelike. BUT, weirdly enough these differences are more or less gone if I do level-matched blind testing at high enough volume but came back after I do sighted comparisons. Brains are strange. That's why I hang around here :p.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Please review the Audio-GD R2R DACs, R-28, R-1 or R-7. Thanks
I have an audio-gd in for review. I think it is the R28.

VonGoethe

It is very nice looking. Too expensive for me to buy it but I just sent them an email to see if they will provide one for review.
Have a look at the Tempotec Sonata iDSD Plus: http://www.tempotec.com.cn/en/2-Product/Sonata/SonataiDSDPlus/index.htm
The Hidizs DH1000 was apparently developed together with Tempotec. According to Tempotec, they have developed the board, Hidizs the case.
On Aliexpress, you can order the Temptec for just $129.00.
I'm waiting for mine, which I could order for $85.

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Have a look at the Tempotec Sonata iDSD Plus: http://www.tempotec.com.cn/en/2-Product/Sonata/SonataiDSDPlus/index.htm
The Hidizs DH1000 was apparently developed together with Tempotec. According to Tempotec, they have developed the board, Hidizs the case.
On Aliexpress, you can order the Temptec for just $129.00.
I'm waiting for mine, which I could order for $85.
Thanks a bunch. I searched and found it on DHGate. They have a 35% discount for the next 7 hours and $20 coupon. So all in all, it cost me $99.61 with free shipping from China! A lot cheaper than the $300 price from the original outfit.

VonGoethe

At first I could not believe it - looks like a high margin for Hildizs.
I'm looking forward to your measurements.
The topping NX4 DSD is also on its way to me.
When both are there, I will share my impressions.

The reviews on Head Fi look promising: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/hidizs-dh1000-sonata.22963/reviews

Since the components are similar to my Onkyo Granbeat, I'm looking forward to the comparison.

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Yes, quite surprising to see the identical product sold at much lower price.

I sent hidizs people email about a review unit and they did not even reply to my message. :( So clearly they are not providing any value-add on service front either.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@richard_crl032 if I were you I'd simply buy the pro3z since you were already quite happy with using it. Why spend more? :)

Getting the matrix and/or a fancy power supply is really just buying into people's wild claims on forums, neither of this has been verified to really make a difference, you are betting a lot of money on questionable information.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/matrix-x-spdif-2-a-singxer-su-1-killer.855159/page-7

Hi Veri,

Just ordered the matrix spdif2 from www.matrix-digi.com to shipment to Singapore and guess will be 2-3 weeks to know if it is a keeper or I have to order the pro3z from diyinhk when on-loan one is returned to its owner ... guess just have to experience it for yourself to know but usb-spdif bridges are NOT made all equal for sure !

Installed the Topping D50 playing dsd analog from my Android headunit via USB Audio Pro/Onkyo HF Players into my Alpine PXA-h900 processor with unfortunately AD conversion before the needed cross-over, slope, TA, gain setting etc, processing which took their tolls and the sound quality was obviously inferior to converted dsd to 44.1kHz PCM to the PXA-H900 via the pro3z optical/spdif.

I had decided that this is the way to go unless I get loaned chord qutest at 7 times more price of D50 to try against if quality of the quest can compensate this mentioned toll of added DA and AD conversions which I doubt.

Cheers,

Richard

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/matrix-x-spdif-2-a-singxer-su-1-killer.855159/page-7

Hi Veri,

Just ordered the matrix spdif2 from www.matrix-digi.com to shipment to Singapore and guess will be 2-3 weeks to know if it is a keeper or I have to order the pro3z from diyinhk when on-loan one is returned to its owner ... guess just have to experience it for yourself to know but usb-spdif bridges are NOT made all equal for sure !

Installed the Topping D50 playing dsd analog from my Android headunit via USB Audio Pro/Onkyo HF Players into my Alpine PXA-h900 processor with unfortunately AD conversion before the needed cross-over, slope, TA, gain setting etc, processing which took their tolls and the sound quality was obviously inferior to converted dsd to 44.1kHz PCM to the PXA-H900 via the pro3z optical/spdif.

I had decided that this is the way to go unless I get loaned chord qutest at 7 times more price of D50 to try against if quality of the quest can compensate this mentioned toll of added DA and AD conversions which I doubt.

Cheers,

Richard

Hi Veri,

Ordered at Usd375 with free shipping last nite and Matrix-digi.com just sent me fedex tracking # this morning for arrival on 18 Oct 10pm and not later.

Was looking at several ebay sellers also with free shipping but same usd375 with shipping arrival of end Nov to early Dec and wonder how to can compete.

Just sharing on preferred direct buying from matrix-digi.com for their products and that it will be earlier then previously mentioned 2-3 weeks for initial feedback on subjective SQ by ear with pro3z which I hope help others on just spdif bridge application .. will burn in at least 24 hrs upon receipt.

Cheers.

Richard

poimandres

Looking forward to your tempotec review. Amazon has them for under 100 from Hidiz.

Tene

Looking forward to your tempotec review. Amazon has them for under 100 from Hidiz.

Beware though, the ones sold by Hidizs on Amazon are the Sonara iDSD (not Plus) which is a older version with only 1 chip.

Actually Tempotec has a history with OEMs, they were already behind the Serenade DSD years ago which got rebranded quite a lot. As for the Sonata iDSD Plus they were already showcasing them in China even before Hidizs announced the DH1000.

Right now Hiby, Hidizs and Tempotec are all part of the same family so you can be sure they share the same hardware for different markets, I wonder why Tempotec started selling things internationally though since it's Hidizs' playground.

Top Bottom