• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AKG K271 MK II Chinese Review (Headphone)

Rate this headphone:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 159 89.8%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 17 9.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 1 0.6%

• Total voters

DanielT

Major Contributor
Thanks for the test Amir!:)

Now I'm not a "headphone guy" but in addition to sound quality, I would definitely go for how nice headphones are to wear. Of course it is subjective so Amir can not "test" it, but like Amir does here , pointed out, a little note in passing,I think is perfectly ok. :)
Amir:
I tested, these feel quite cheap. But due to large cups, they are reasonably comfortable.

Maybe a "sweaty ear test" he he.:D

Material in the headphones, however, I think should be stated, that is, type of fabric or leather (artificial leather or genuine).

pavuol

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yep, thanks Harman for that. Thanks for closing the Austrian factory and losing all that accumulated knowledge. Thanks for downgrading just about every part of AKGs headphones, from the quality of the plugs, the cable, the hinges, the pads and clearly it seems, the drivers too. Thanks for shutting down the availability of spare parts for the 'pro' lines where you used to be able to ring a guy and get anything you needed, right down to the elastic suspension strings for any product, no matter how old.
But hey, we still have service manual available, from when, 2008..? :facepalm:

Seriously, Amazon listing this as "Professional Studio Headphones" with this sort of out-of-box FR seems just crazy to me.. (no matter what "version")

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for this review. I listened to the original K271 20 years ago and it sounded and measured way better than this. Perhaps there has been successive degradation of quality.

@amirm, is it possible to RMS average L and R and show the Austrian and Chinese-made models in the same diagram?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
But hey, we still have service manual available, from when, 2008..? :facepalm:

Seriously, Amazon listing this as "Professional Studio Headphones" with this sort of out-of-box FR seems just crazy to me.. (no matter what "version")

AKG lists it as a professional studio headphone. I think it is much more useful as a monitor headphone than a hi-fi headphone.
They have other line-ups for that.

I (and I don't think any serious studio owner) would ever think of using it for mastering.
It's just a cheap throwaway headphone that due to its construction can take a beating.

I just got in a DT240Pro... it says professional monitoring headphone on it.. costs € 66,-
There really is nothing professional about it other than the coiled cord and price.

Razorhelm

Any ideas what is causing that abrupt response change at 700hz? I have a set of coaxial speakers with a very similar looking effect in my measurements of them.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
It is a resonance, could be in the driver and/or cup.
This can be seen in the GD and impedance plot.

heraldo_jones

These were my first pro headphones. I must admit that the stock sound is better in perception than the graphs show. Also with the Oratory eq correction they are vastly improved. Mine were the austrian made.

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
These were my first pro headphones. I must admit that the stock sound is better in perception than the graphs show. Also with the Oratory eq correction they are vastly improved. Mine were the austrian made.

There are measurements of the K271 made in 2002 which looks far better than the ones reviewed here.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I think anyone would be well advised to put there money elsewhere than these. Seems the £100- £200 market is as much of a wild west as the high end market.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
There are measurements of the K271 made in 2002 which looks far better than the ones reviewed here.
Maybe the older (mk1) had a somewhat different sound ?
The mkII was launched around 2009 (as far as I can see).

Tyll's measurements (K271-mkII) with (roughly) Harman target drawn in and the needed correction for Tyll's incorrect compensation.
So the green line is actually the horizontal line and the measurements are relative to the green line.
Schermafdruk van 2022-02-03 11-43-06.png

Note 5dB/div where Amir uses 2.5dB/div.

index.php

Looks pretty similar.

and don't forget @oratory1990 measurements.

I haven't measured it nor am I ever planning to. It's not a hifi headphone.

Last edited:

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The measurement I have in a magazine from 2002 is similar to that attached for the K271 Studio. Better bass and smoother treble.

Attachments

• E4ED8140-5EDB-4498-96B7-0A6E32A52BEE.jpeg
    E4ED8140-5EDB-4498-96B7-0A6E32A52BEE.jpeg
    133.9 KB · Views: 102

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OMG, that FR is hideous. I bought these about six months ago from Amazon, returned them immediately due to their poor quality build. It's made of plastic and the ear pads were extremely uncomfortable. Glad I did not waste my money on this.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
The measurement I have in a magazine from 2002 is similar to that attached for the K271 Studio. Better bass and smoother treble.

The mk1 is no longer available though so the measurements are not representative for the current mk2 version.

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The mk1 is no longer available though so the measurements are not representative for the current mk2 version.

Yes agree about that. My point was that the K271 model has not been improved upon but rather the opposite. Perhaps in several steps from mk1 to mk2 and from Austrian to Chinese manufacturing.

Last edited:

nyxnyxnyx

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Yep, thanks Harman for that. Thanks for closing the Austrian factory and losing all that accumulated knowledge. Thanks for downgrading just about every part of AKGs headphones, from the quality of the plugs, the cable, the hinges, the pads and clearly it seems, the drivers too. Thanks for shutting down the availability of spare parts for the 'pro' lines where you used to be able to ring a guy and get anything you needed, right down to the elastic suspension strings for any product, no matter how old.
wow.... I've heard pieces and bits about the downfall of AKG's quality throughout the years but I didn't expect it to sound so.... terrible in this fashion.
Can you tell me your previous experiences with AKG back when they were still a dominant force in the headphones market? I've had a few vintages AKG and while I never truly liked any of them I found out that they were highly appreciated back in the days.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe the older (mk1) had a somewhat different sound ?
The mkII was launched around 2009 (as far as I can see).

Tyll's measurements (K271-mkII) with (roughly) Harman target drawn in and the needed correction for Tyll's incorrect compensation.
So the green line is actually the horizontal line and the measurements are relative to the green line.
View attachment 183841
Note 5dB/div where Amir uses 2.5dB/div.

index.php

Looks pretty similar.

and don't forget @oratory1990 measurements.

I haven't measured it nor am I ever planning to. It's not a hifi headphone.
Wow, and Oratory also says the following on his pdf file re the EQ for this headphone:
disclaimer.jpg

So that's another negative point for this headphone. Gees, not good, oh well.

Top Bottom