• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AKG K271 MK II Chinese Review (Headphone)

Rate this headphone:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 159 89.8%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 17 9.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 1 0.6%

• Total voters

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This is a review and detailed measurements of the AKG K271 MKII manufactured in China. It was kindly donated to me for testing by an overseas member. I am not sure what it cost. The one listed on Amazon goes for US $139.

AKG K271 MK II Review Chinese Manufactured Headphone.jpg

Just like the standard version of K271 I tested, these feel quite cheap. But due to large cups, they are reasonably comfortable.

Note: The measurements you are about to see are made using a standardized Gras 45C. Headphone measurements by definition are approximate and variable so don't be surprised if other measurements even if performed with the same fixtures as mine, differ in end results. Protocols vary such as headband pressure and averaging (which I don't do). As you will see, I confirm the approximate accuracy of the measurements using Equalization and listening tests. Ultimately headphone measurements are less exact than speakers mostly in bass and above a few kilohertz so keep that in mind as you read these tests. If you think you have an exact idea of a headphone performance, you are likely wrong!

The K271 has a self-adjusting mechanism which makes it hard to put high pressure on the test fixture. There was fair amount of variability in how I seated the unit. I did manage to get better fit/channel matching than the previous version.

AKG K271 MK II Chinese Measurements
Let's start with our usual frequency response measurements:

AKG K271 Measurements Frequency Response Chinese Manufactured Headphone.png

The family resemblance is quite strong to previous K271 I measured. Then again there are differences such as lower amplitude between 2 and 4 kHz. Overall it is flawed with not only deviations from the target but glitches here and there:

AKG K271 Measurements Relative Frequency Response Chinese Manufactured Headphone.png

The variations will make it difficult to develop an EQ by eye due to shapes not matching typical parametric EQ curves.

As with previous version, distortion is through the roof at lower frequencies:

AKG K271 Measurements Relative THD Distortion Response Chinese Manufactured Headphone.png

This sample has a problem around 3 kHz which the other one did not. Absolute distortion level is such:

AKG K271 Measurements THD Distortion Response Chinese Manufactured Headphone.png

Group delay is much messier than the other version:

AKG K271 Measurements Frequency Group Delay Chinese Manufactured Headphone.png

And impedance variation is higher as well:

AKG K271 Measurements Impedance Chinese Manufactured Headphone.png

This measurement is less subject to fitment on the measurement rig so may be pointing to variation in design.

Sensitivity is pretty much the same:

Most sensitive chinese headphone review.png

Listening Tests
I reported the previous version sounded OK without EQ. This one did not although I have been listening to my reference headphone all day which I was not when I tested the other. The sound as is, is dull, lacking bass and detail. Not offensive as a result but nothing I would want to listen to. I pulled up the previous EQ for the K271 and made a number of adjustments to it for this sample:

AKG K271 EQ Equalization Parametric Chinese Manufactured Headphone.png

Once there, the sound was very good. Bass though was insufficient and as is, would crackle and distort. There was also a resonance of sorts that would make string instruments sound strange at times. Still, I could enjoy the headphones on reference tracks such as what you see above.

Conclusions
There are enough vagaries in headphone measurements that I can't swear the Chinese manufactured one is different than what is produced elsewhere. Going by what we have in hand, there seems to be degradation both objectively and subjectively. EQ is quite helpful though in taming them and turning this headphone into something quite usable.

Overall, I can't recommend the Chinese made AKG K271 without EQ. With EQ, I can make marginal recommendation.

-----------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

Attachments

• AKG K271 MKII Chinese Frequency Response.zip
    24.7 KB · Views: 118

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
To import this PEQ profile into 'Equalizer APO', use:
Preamp: -11.6 dB
Filter 1: ON PK Fc 25 Hz Gain 11.1 dB Q 1.0
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 124 Hz Gain 11.0 dB Q 3.0
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 688 Hz Gain -3.0 dB Q 4.0
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 3800 Hz Gain 7.0 dB Q 2.0
Filter 5: ON PK Fc 9400 Hz Gain -4.0 dB Q 3.0

Otherwise, see my PEQ guide.
..................................................................................................................
For those who don't have PEQ-capable app, and want to use GEQs instead:
See my GEQ guide for 10-band, 31-band, and 127-band GEQ profiles.

peniku8

Forum Donor
That's gotta be among the worst responses I've ever seen. What do they use to come up with these curves? A Seismograph?

JSmith

Master Contributor
It was $118
That's just Amazon, their prices fluctuate based on stock level and demand etc. The reduction may mean after the initial shipment they decided to buy more, so price goes down until stock becomes low which is when it starts going up again. Safe to say, I won't be buying these anyway.

JSmith

PeteL

Major Contributor
It's quite sad to see that AKG lowering the manufacturing standard of an already pretty bad headphones… I guess cost is all they care now. :facepalm:
Maybe but no manufacturing standard can save that design, If you're gonna sell something like that, the least they can do is do it for cheap. Where is the "non china" one made exactly? I am surprised the other one got such great subjective impressions, the measurements look just as bad, maybe something out of the scope of what is measured here but still.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Sad... it really does seem as though the AKG from 20 years ago really isn't with us anymore.

Yep, thanks Harman for that. Thanks for closing the Austrian factory and losing all that accumulated knowledge. Thanks for downgrading just about every part of AKGs headphones, from the quality of the plugs, the cable, the hinges, the pads and clearly it seems, the drivers too. Thanks for shutting down the availability of spare parts for the 'pro' lines where you used to be able to ring a guy and get anything you needed, right down to the elastic suspension strings for any product, no matter how old.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That's a pretty bad headphone, and it's not like it's super super cheap. The lack of bass for a closed back headphone and the high distortion below 1kHz is also really poor. Frequency response is also a mess. RIP, definitely better options out there.

Top Bottom