• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Portable digital recorder recommendation?

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I’m looking for a portable hires audio recorder of good quality. Leading contender is Tascam DR100-mk3. Planning to use it for recording audio and sounds for testing and for pleasure, most likely with an external microphone, phantom power would be nice but not required.

Sony PCM D100 looks good too, but at more than twice the price it is not in the running.

Any other suggestions? Pointers to measurements or objective comparisons for these would also be appreciated, as they seem hard to find.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
The little Zoom units are popular for inexpensive field recorders. I have an older model (H2, I think) used mainly for recording practice sessions now and then or when just fooling around so I can transcribe later.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Sorry, I do not know much about the Tascam unit. The Zoom I choose for ease of use and better options at the time (maybe ten years ago) were limited and much more expensive (or just cheap voice recorders). Handling noise can be an issue but I always mounted mine on a mic stand. I liked having stereo mics built-in. I know the Zooms are popular among musicians for rehearsal use; not sure they would qualify as "audiophile" devices. I made a few recordings but usually used external mics for those. These days there are many more choices but I have not kept current, sorry.

OP
pkane

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Guermantes

I've used the Sony PCM-D50 quite a bit and like it for the quality of the onboard microphones and the intelligent limiter. But that model and the D100 don't seem to be as flexible if you want to use external microphones. I must say, the Tascam DR100 MkIII looks like good value for your purpose.

The Sound Devices products are another beast entirely, made for location film work and high-end to match. The MixPre3 seems to be a cut-down version for semi-professionl use. Tascam also make some affordable units for videography purposes such as the 70D. You'll notice that units like this can have straps attached so that they can be slung over the shoulder for location audio work.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Looking at the website, I'm surprised to see that Sound Devices states that its mic preamps use analogue limiters, which are what enable them to make recordings that surpass "those of other recorders using simple off-the-shelf IC-based mic preamps". This would seem a drawback rather than a benefit to me, but perhaps I'm ignorant of this technology.

Last edited:

andymok

Addicted to Fun and Learning
That's two votes for Zoom. Anything you don't like about it, or maybe something that could be improved?

I haven't really tried it. But as a H4n owner and having tried H6, I like it's slim body and the rotary gain knob a lot. It's mic-pres are also vastly improved.

Btw I just realised they have released the new H3-VR for Ambisonics and do various encoding

eugenius

Looking at the website, I'm surprised to see that Sound Devices states that its mic preamps use analogue limiters, which are what enable them to make recordings that surpass "those of other recorders using simple off-the-shelf IC-based mic preamps". This would seem a drawback rather than a benefit to me, but perhaps I'm ignorant of this technology.

You are.

Analog limiters vs digital limiters is like sex vs masturbation.

IMO the built in mics of the Zoom models are not of the highest standard. I have a Zoom H6 with 4 ext. mic inputs (with 48V phantom) which is very handy and flexible. Frequency response is quite accurate, more than sufficient for acoustic measurements (with a high-quality mic).
Here's a sine sweep response I've done up to 48kHz. Note the dB scale.

Zoom_H6_ADC_FreqResp_300Hz-30kHz.png

OP
pkane

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
IMO the built in mics of the Zoom models are not of the highest standard. I have a Zoom H6 with 4 ext. mic inputs (with 48V phantom) which is very handy and flexible. Frequency response is quite accurate, more than sufficient for acoustic measurements (with a high-quality mic).
Here's a sine sweep response I've done up to 48kHz. Note the dB scale.

View attachment 16361

That looks excellent, thank you! There's about a 0.12dB dip from 3KHz to 30KHz, am I reading this right? The drop below 300Hz is due to the measurement set up and not ADC, correct?

eugenius

Here’s the difference between Zoom digital limiters and Sound Devices analog limiters.

Top Bottom