• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Lamenting the lack of good quality budget A/V Preamplifier/Processors

SpaceMonkey

Seems like a rather roundabout way when they already have a dedicated Windows app. For what it's worth, I did download Kodi to test but couldn't figure out where to download/install the said "plugin".
Kodi can be a pia for config etc:

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
Kodi can be a pia for config etc:

Said xlord repository is not found in any list I see... Likely it has been removed. Very fishy to even claim the ff: "Unlike the Amazon Prime subscription that charges its users a monthly premium, watching Amazon Prime on Kodi is absolutely free."

What kind of nonsense is that? Sorry, I don't feel like looking for a plugin and/or repository that is "unofficial".

SpaceMonkey

Said xlord repository is not found in any list I see... Likely it has been removed. Very fishy to even claim the ff: "Unlike the Amazon Prime subscription that charges its users a monthly premium, watching Amazon Prime on Kodi is absolutely free."

What kind of nonsense is that? Sorry, I don't feel like looking for a plugin and/or repository that is "unofficial".
Unfortunately, this is the nature of many add-ons for Kodi. 3rd party devs frequently overcome restrictions imposed by providers.
In the end one always has a choice: crappy original dev apps (if app is good noone will bother with kodi) or kodi plus questionable(and hard to config) 3rd party plugins. If you expect kodi plugin done by amazon this will likely never happen.
Kodi while being a complete mess at times at least never locks down users as to what and how they can use software.

Descartes

Major Contributor
A few years back I asked OPPO if they would be willing to make a pure digital AV receivers, they said the market was too crowded and the margins were not big enough!

I used my OPPO BDP-205 in a 7.1 system and have been very happy!
Too bad I can’t find any reasonable pre/pro that can do 9.4.6! Anthem AVM 90 looks promising except for the price $7999.

Sprint

Forum Donor
Disney+ has released an app for Win 10 a month ago or so. The current version puts out 5.1 to my RME UCX II.
Which HTPC do you use?

Sprint

Forum Donor
There is this HDMI multichannel DAC from Essence. No XLR or room correction, but it's fairly cheap and another of their products got a good review from Amir.

I should point out that if you don't need to decode the formats with height channels(Atmos, DTS-X), then you don't actually need any particular piece of hardware. A mini-PC with a standard multi-channel DAC can do the same job, and possibly even better because you can use more powerful room correction software like Audiolense.
How can I do bass management with such a HDMI multichannel DAC like Essence? Currently I set the 80hz cross over in AVR and below 80hz goes to my subs.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How can I do bass management with such a HDMI multichannel DAC like Essence? Currently I set the 80hz cross over in AVR and below 80hz goes to my subs.
There isn't really an easy way, this is why AVRs are good lol. You would basically need a separate device that can do crossovers after the DAC like a MiniDSP.

If your source is a PC then you can do pretty much anything you want in digital software like Audiolense BEFORE outputting to a mch DAC, but if your source is an Android streaming box/bluray player/etc, then using an HDMI DAC mostly makes things more complicated than using an AVR. Some people want to do it anyways /shrug. But some people also don't even use bass management and only use a sub for the LFE.

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor

Roland68

Major Contributor
I've also been looking for an affordable AV preamplifier with at least 5.1 and 4K for a long time.
I overlooked this device for 2 years and now there is already V2.
Canton Smart Connect 5.1 V2
Maybe it's not only interesting for me.

conqueeftador

I've also been looking for an affordable AV preamplifier with at least 5.1 and 4K for a long time.
This looks good, would like to see something like this that had a decent amount of preouts for atmos that measured well and wasn't £4k.

Sprint

Forum Donor
Depends on what speakers do you use? I was seriously considering the Canton for my Genelecs. The reps at Genelecs recommended to go for a processor with balanced XLR output as most of the processors with balanced output have better power handling and comes with Schucko plugs. I tried Yamaha CX-A5200 and am super happy. The details and channel separation that comes out of Balanced XLR is jaw dropping and incredible. Earlier I was using RCA out from my RV-775 with RCA XLR adapters. But with XLR balanced, it is another world. You would need to hear the spatial effects to believe this for yourself.

Roland68

Major Contributor
Depends on what speakers do you use? I was seriously considering the Canton for my Genelecs. The reps at Genelecs recommended to go for a processor with balanced XLR output as most of the processors with balanced output have better power handling and comes with Schucko plugs. I tried Yamaha CX-A5200 and am super happy. The details and channel separation that comes out of Balanced XLR is jaw dropping and incredible. Earlier I was using RCA out from my RV-775 with RCA XLR adapters. But with XLR balanced, it is another world. You would need to hear the spatial effects to believe this for yourself.
Have you tried the RCA outputs from the Yamaha CX-A5200 with the RCA XLR adapters and your speakers?

Sprint

Forum Donor
Have you tried the RCA outputs from the Yamaha CX-A5200 with the RCA XLR adapters and your speakers?

Good point and to be honest I haven't tried with 5200. I still have my RCA XLR adapters. I will definitely give it a try and share here. What I can definitely say is that I am hearing more instrument separation. The surround channels have become more livelier.

Aerith Gainsborough

Addicted to Fun and Learning
That wasn't what I was suggesting, what I was suggesting was using the PC as playback device and then just connecting a multi-channel USB DAC to it, and doing the room correction digitally on the PC. Playback software(Kodi or whatever) can set different display and audio outputs and perform the decoding. The limitations of this are no Atmos and you can't use other playback sources like consoles or whatever.

Using a PC as a literal AVP is probably possible with certain capture cards but I doubt it's easy to set up and I haven't looked into it because Atmos is a requirement for me anyways. Also potential HDCP issues.
Yeah, it's all fun and games.... until you try to make a 4K Blu Ray work on PC. :X
I can attest to a PC working wonderfully for normal Blu Ray or streaming services though. Do the correction in a DAW setup, output the whole shabang via HDMI into a budget AVR and you are golden. Ofc USB multichannel Dacs + Power amps work as well.
Bonus: surround sound in video games. :D

Only thing to take note of is latency. PowerDVD can adjust for that, not sure about streaming service's players.

retro

Yeah, it's all fun and games.... until you try to make a 4K Blu Ray work on PC. :X
I can attest to a PC working wonderfully for normal Blu Ray or streaming services though. Do the correction in a DAW setup, output the whole shabang via HDMI into a budget AVR and you are golden. Ofc USB multichannel Dacs + Power amps work as well.

Only thing to take note of is latency. PowerDVD can adjust for that, not sure about streaming service's players.
4K bluray is no problem on a HTPC. If you know what you're doing..;)

Sprint

Forum Donor

Which HTPC do you use - MAC?

Roland68

Major Contributor
Good point and to be honest I haven't tried with 5200. I still have my RCA XLR adapters. I will definitely give it a try and share here. What I can definitely say is that I am hearing more instrument separation. The surround channels have become more livelier.
This is more likely to be the credit of the Yamaha CX-A5200, also a very interesting device, unfortunately not very cheap.
The signal is only processed with an NE5532 for XLR directly before the output sockets. If the RCA cable is equivalent and you don't encounter any sources of interference along the way, it won't make a difference. But I also prefer XLR cables.

Aerith Gainsborough

Addicted to Fun and Learning
4K bluray is no problem on a HTPC. If you know what you're doing..;)
*chuckles*
I've read that Intel dropped the necessary encryption feature from their new CPU line. So my current CPU is too old and the new ones won't play it either. At this point they're just asking for us to go "ARRR!" and be done with all these DRM shenanigans. <_<
Which HTPC do you use - MAC?
I use my regular windows 10 desktop system. Since I live in a tiny apartment, it's the center of all things entertainment and learning anyway. From watching movies, gaming, web browsing to hosting my Piano VST, it does it all. :'D

conqueeftador

Looking at how many sound bars are on the market, there has to be some fairly cost effective atmos decoder available?

Top Bottom