• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Will you stop using Spotify now? Vote

Will you stop using Spotify?

• Yes

Votes: 143 34.5%
  • No

Votes: 226 54.5%
  • I don't know

Votes: 35 8.4%
  • On the contrary, I'll start using Spotify now!

Votes: 11 2.7%

• Total voters

Zensō

Major Contributor
I don't think that's the main issue though. Spotify could make more money from streaming, but until now they haven chosen to reinvest almost everything to continue growing. That's a strategy you see often these days.
That, and over pay their executives. ;)

DavidEdwinAston

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Qobus sounds fine. Still no sign of Mingus The Candid Recordings on there or Tidal.

JanesJr1

It affects basically almost any and every music. Physical new mediums just as much.

But yes, the streaming platforms don't let you play the exact album version from back then that was not or less affected by the Loudness War. I recently did a comparison of my stack of older CD's vs the versions on Spotify (and probably any other streaming platform), just by looking op the average DR, and indeed many albums suffer from crappy releases. Reason enough to start securely ripping all my CD's.
I have hundreds of CD and LP albums going back 55 years. There's some truth in the comment above, but I can't tell you how many times I've found the streaming version on Amazon HD is far better than the original LP and often the CD, especially on mainstream labels (not DG) and with LP re-prints. (Not always, but much more often than not.) I'll also see if I can find a study of the loudness wars where someone went back and measured the actual dynamic range for perhaps thousands of issues, and my take was that the compression was overwhelmingly concentrated on recent recordings. (I'll quote it here when I find it again.) I find a LOT to appreciate with the re-masters on HD streaming services, even if there are exceptions.

Slayer

I just think it's ridiculous when artist complain about something someone says, or they disagree with another's viewpoints.
If you do not like what they have to say, its simple, don't listen. But to threaten to leave a platform because of that is asinine.
Reverting to the cancel culture, only leads to you eventually being cancelled. It's a viscous circle.

If one is honest with oneself, there is always going to be something someone says you don't fully agree with. But that doesn't mean you should now discount the person which you have agreed with things in the past. While there are things Rogan says i agree with, and some things I don't agree with. But in no way do I think he should be cancelled because of it. Let the consumer decide, it's that simple. You, yourself should do your own filtering. Joe has said things i both agree and disagree with, and the great thing is, I can CHOOSE to listen or turn him off. It's that simple.

Rogan has made it very clear he is a centrist, who leans to the left. Therefore, if one is going to listen or not listen you should take that into account before making a judgement. Spotify, as well as other companies will most always go with, who brings in the larger audience, that's just common business. A smart company does not make decisions with a political stance. Doing so, instantly removes half your potential audience. Everyone wants freedom of choice, but then some forget that and want to restrict others freedom of choice.

Honestly, It's sad and childish to see any artist leave any platform, because something doesn't align with their personal viewpoints. In the end, they are only hurting their wallets and themselves. Most consumers just want to hear the music, not caring about your political views. I think it's smart if an artist keeps those views to themself. Otherwise, you immediately turn away half your potential audience.
But, hey, i'm just an old man trying to make it through life day by day.

JanesJr1

I will not stop using Spotify because I don't use it. More downsides on a service than I want. A quick note tho, Amazon Music HD upsamples/downsamples a lot of music, AFAIK.
And can you hear the difference? I spent quite a lot of time trying a bunch of recordings on Amazon HD where I modified the Windows bit rate setting to match the recording (thus matching Amazon playback without resampling) and then compared it to the resampled version, and couldn't any practical difference. From what I've read, upsampling and downsampling is either inaudible or barely audible to most people. Anyway, I stopped worrying about it and Amazon HD sounds good to me. Many HD streaming cuts sound better than my LP or CD originals, and it seems to me like many re-masters are successful if not all.

BN1

I can't say that I would choose a music streaming service because of who owns it, who it has on podcasts, how much they pay artists, how much the executives earn or what their political beliefs are. I base my decision on the catalog of music that I listen to, the music quality, the service available, and the price. Amazon seems to satisfy most of my priorities, for now at least.

Juhazi

Major Contributor
Hey, you are in Finland. Can you get Amazon Music or Amazon Music HD there? In Denmark we can get nothing. Cheers.
Seems to be working... but it said that Amazon Store is not available (downloading?). I'll keep on testing Amazon and Tidal for 30 days trial periods. My sympathy goes to Tidal because of better % to the artist.

Synergy of PC software, phone app and my Yamaha AVR/MusicCast and my car' system is important. Other family members still use Spotify on another account.

Attachments

• Amamusichd.jpg
    Amamusichd.jpg
    226.1 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
Reactions: ENG

Juhazi

Major Contributor
^Difficult to compare different qualities. Actually UI smoothness is most important for me. After ethics.

DavidEdwinAston

Forum Donor
Slayer , I respectfully disagree with your last post. If Young/Mitchell and others wish to show their integrity and possibly lose income. Why not?

GaryH

Major Contributor
^Difficult to compare different qualities. Actually UI smoothness is most important for me. After ethics.
I'm talking specifically about your claim that Tidal pays artists more than Amazon, which is not supported by the figures I linked to.

Slayer

Slayer , I respectfully disagree with your last post. If Young/Mitchell and others wish to show their integrity and possibly lose income. Why not?
No problem, you and anyone else have every right to disagree. Young/Mitchell have every right to walk away. Spotify has every right to keep Rogan. That's the great thing about freedom of choice. I just think to threaten and give ultimatums is childish behavior, but it is their right do so.

However, can you imagine if everyone started threatening to walk off (or just plain walking off) their jobs because they disagreed with a new employee their boss hired. Can you imagine if members here, started to threaten to leave the forum because they disagreed with some other members views. Just seems to me, people are jumping to extremes these days to push their view and suppress others' views while doing so.

Just because you disagreed with one of my posts, doesn't mean i would hold any i'll will against you or look at your post differently. We are all good in my book my friend.

Zensō

Major Contributor
Source? This shows the opposite ($10.96 for Amazon Music Unlimited vs $6.85 for Tidal per 1000 streams).
This is changing though, due to the new policies that Tidal has just started implementing at their top tier. Also, we don’t know what percentage of Amazon listeners are on the Unlimited tier. I think for now we can assume they both pay far better than Spotify, but there’s no up-to-date data I’ve seen to verify definitively how they compare to one another.

DavidEdwinAston

Forum Donor
Thank you Slayer.
Certainly I live in a very polarised country since 2016. I hope you don't mind me suggesting that your examples are perhaps not relevant. Spotify was, surely a music platform. These forums are relatively new to me, and they are a breath of fresh air. Best wishes to you.

Kegemusha

And now Joni's out! I would really like to see Spotify throw Joe Rogan out the door...fingers crossed.
The problem is that Spotify payed a lot for his pods. I just hope they would concentrate into music and not pods, make cd quality stream possible instead.
I think Neil Y and Joni M got severe polio when they were kids so I could understand why they are annoyed by that vaccine comment.

Last edited:

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
And now Joni's out! I would really like to see Spotify throw Joe Rogan out the door...fingers crossed.

I don't and I don't listen to either NY, JM, or JR. I think people are missing the bigger issue:

Say Spotify has a podcaster that is big into flat-earth/moon landing fakery. Why not deplatform your music over that? It's just as much misinformation right?

The issue is that a massive block of the un/under educated will believe almost anything. Just keep up with the inclusive message for this group of people. It's better than alienating them by trying to make JR a martyr.

Top Bottom