• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

square.

Hello ASR,

Apologies for asking an opinion based topic on a forum about science. However, 'bit-perfect' is something to take note of here, as it is something that Qobuz supports and amazon HD does not.
(Of which I lack fundamental knowledge of - so more informed people can provide insight as to bit perfect vs non bit perfect, benefits etc)

I've been a user of amazon music for a couple of months now, however, I recently picked up the RME ADI 2 FS dac. Being such a capable device, I decided to try a free trial with Qobuz and I have been met with an upsetting realisation.

My Amazon Music playlist 'Pieces of electronica' made by me has 30 songs.
Recreating this playlist via Qobuz yields 24 songs. Sucks.

So... Is it worth it losing some songs to avoid windows resampling *and* windows filters being applied to my audio? (I read a thread earlier today, so I learned about this a little.)

Amazon music 'exclusive mode' does not work as exclusive mode - on my RME dac's drivers *and* on the Fiio Drivers on my Fiio k3s dac, the sample rate do not change. On qobuz, the sample rate changes accordingly.

Please note I have not listened to Qobuz for over 30 minutes so I cannot comment on audible difference between the streaming services yet - but I do feel more at ease knowing the windows drivers are being bypassed on Qobuz.

Thanks,
Square

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I honestly wouldn't worry. Read the threads about windows audio quality and make the few tweaks to guarantee nothing unnecessary is interfering and go with the service that meets your needs and budget.

I'm running amazon Windows app into an RME too. But using eapo to do the eq on the pc then to the rme.

OP
S

square.

Read the threads about windows audio quality and make the few tweaks to guarantee nothing unnecessary is interfering and go with the service that meets your needs and budget
Hi, thanks for your reply

Could you please refer me to some threads? I was reading threads elsewhere - can't remember which website. I'd trust this website more compared to other places too.

Square

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi, thanks for your reply

Could you please refer me to some threads? I was reading threads elsewhere - can't remember which website. I'd trust this website more compared to other places too.

Square

In a nutshell, install EAPO, apply a preamp of - 4.5db and disable additional APO in troubleshooting. (thread tells you how to do that)

OP
S

square.

In a nutshell, install EAPO, apply a preamp of - 4.5db and disable additional APO in troubleshooting. (thread tells you how to do that)
That simple?
Could I use the eq presets I have on the dac in conjunction with the -4.5db preamp on eAPO?

I used eAPO but then decided to use the dac's built in one since its nice to visually see your changes in real time.

Is there any disadvantage to using eAPO versus the RME built-in EQ?

thanks a lot
Square

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
That simple?
Could I use the eq presets I have on the dac in conjunction with the -4.5db preamp on eAPO?

I used eAPO but then decided to use the dac's built in one since its nice to visually see your changes in real time.

Is there any disadvantage to using eAPO versus the RME built-in EQ?

thanks a lot
Square
Yes you could use both together. The preamp "trick" in eapo is to stop other parts of Windows audio processing kicking in, you don't then need to use the filters to change the sound, you could still do that in the dac.

I hate using the rme interface but I doubt anyone would hear a difference with the same filters applied in eapo or on the rme - so use whichever you like.

OP
S

square.

Yes you could use both together. The preamp "trick" in eapo is to stop other parts of Windows audio processing kicking in, you don't then need to use the filters to change the sound, you could still do that in the dac.

I hate using the rme interface but I doubt anyone would hear a difference with the same filters applied in eapo or on the rme - so use whichever you like.
I've just had a read of the forum you linked and I am going to try do this myself just now.

Thanks a bunch!

OP
S

square.

I'm really glad you linked me this forum, as my playlists really wouldn't be as great on Qobuz as they are on amazon with the lack of 7-12 songs.

Tweeter2016

Very interesting thread! Hope more people will leave their feedback on both platforms.

I have heard that theoretically Amazon have better bitrate, but they cheat a little - someone said that most tracks are artificially upscaled, but only Quobuz have real CD quality.

Can You confirm this?

Thank you!
T.

Turambar

Most of the files (though not all) are the same as they are provided by the content owners.

The bit rate is the same, only depending on the OS you are using the results can be different, as there could be resamplings or different filters applied.

I'm using both now, mostly through WiiM Mini and BluOS streamers, without any issue at all. They sound exactly the same to my ears.

fireboy1968

The most important part of which streaming service you chose is licensing. My Qobuz trial lasted 1 hour. That was the point I realized the shear volume of music I listen to that they do not liscense.

Top Bottom