• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Looking for a desktop Dac/Amp with XLR outs to power HD650s

I'm still looking for a desktop amp/dac that can be utilized for my Genelec 8030a, so would ideally need XLR outs. I'd like a well measuring Dac and a headphone amp that has enough power to power my HD650 sufficiently.

I've long considered the Benchmark DAC series as an option, but it has been outside of my budget for this (~ $500) unless I consider a used DAC 1 USB model. However, this from the review makes me take pause: "As such it is not really a DAC that I can recommend for new purchases."

Certainly the RME would be a good option, but is outside my budget. The Topping DX7s would be good right at $500, but does not seem to be available from Amazon.

Others that I would consider, but would want measured first is the Apogee Duet 2 or Cambridge Dac Magic Plus. Both are right around $350.

Is there any others that I am missing? Finding a all-in-one unit with enough power for the HD650s seems quite difficult. And I really don't want two devices.

Appreciate the help.

ETA, I should mention that the DX7s doesn't show up available with Prime like the D10/30/50.

Last edited:

derp1n

OP
openbaffle3278
So my PS Audio Stellar Gain Cell DAC powers my HD650s wonderfully -- 300 mW @ 300 Ohm. And with the 10' HD650 cable, it reaches my desk, but is a little bit awkward. That's maybe OK for now. I should send in the PS Audio into @Amir to measure. I'd bet/hope that it competes with the top-level DACs that he's measured so far.

Last edited:

gvl

Major Contributor
Maybe a used Emotiva DC-1? They go for $300-400 on ebay.

garbulky

Major Contributor
Schiit Jotunheim does all of this but I haven't tried it. I use my dac (DC-1) coupled to the Emotiva a-100 which throws the hd600 around like no tomorrow. But it may be too bulky for you plus it is unbalanced. Emotiva is coming out with a class A balanced headphone amp but it may take some time for it to see light of day. It however does not seem to have a volume button - the control must come from a dac with volume control.

Patrick1958

Forum Donor
I'm still looking for a desktop amp/dac that can be utilized for my Genelec 8030a, so would ideally need XLR outs. I'd like a well measuring Dac and a headphone amp that has enough power to power my HD650 sufficiently.

I've long considered the Benchmark DAC series as an option, but it has been outside of my budget for this (~ $500) unless I consider a used DAC 1 USB model. However, this from the review makes me take pause: "As such it is not really a DAC that I can recommend for new purchases."

Certainly the RME would be a good option, but is outside my budget. The Topping DX7s would be good right at $500, but does not seem to be available from Amazon.

Others that I would consider, but would want measured first is the Apogee Duet 2 or Cambridge Dac Magic Plus. Both are right around $350.

Is there any others that I am missing? Finding a all-in-one unit with enough power for the HD650s seems quite difficult. And I really don't want two devices.

Appreciate the help.

ETA, I should mention that the DX7s doesn't show up available with Prime like the D10/30/50.

Have you considered the Matrix Audio Mini series :

http://matrix-digi-usa.com/mini-series/mini-i-pro_2S
http://matrix-digi-usa.com/mini-series/mini-i-pro_2

I use the I-pro 2S on my second computer, enough power to feed the Senn HD 650, xlr and rca out, support for DSD on all inputs. This Dac/amp can easily compete with costlier devices. I use the Gustard X20 pro (connected to the Violectric V100 via xlr) on my primary computer and the Matrix Mini definitely stands his own against the Gustard/violectric combo.

Last edited:

gvl

Major Contributor
Matrix Quatro is often offered on Massdrop for under $500, looks interesting.

OP
openbaffle3278
I am leaning towards the DX7s, agreed. Seems like the only negative is the output impedance, but with my HD650s, that shouldn't be a problem.

gvl

Major Contributor
DX7s is dropping for $360 on Massdrop now.

bunkbail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
So my PS Audio Stellar Gain Cell DAC powers my HD650s wonderfully -- 300 mW @ 300 Ohm. And with the 10' HD650 cable, it reaches my desk, but is a little bit awkward. That's maybe OK for now. I should send in the PS Audio into @Amir to measure. I'd bet/hope that it competes with the top-level DACs that he's measured so far.
Send it to Amir please, I've always wanted to see some PS Audio stuffs get measured.

MbphotoX

Hey all!

New here and having a near identical "problem":

I'm looking for a DAC with balanced xlr outs for my Yamaha HS50m (or HS5, don't remember which ones I put there :) ) that can also drive my 250 Ohm DT990 and costs less than these units combined (less than 500usd preferably...

It should have RCA outs as well and offer a proper usb and coaxial input, but that's all I need.

The Matrix Mini-I Pro 2s can be had at 500 bucks here. (although, they never mention balanced outputs on their homepage... And list 2V as the output voltage, so maybe they aren't balanced after all?)

The Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital costs 400, but lacks the balanced output, nor does it have a second set of RCA outs for a HP amp..

No chance to get the Topping DX7S in Switzerland (shipping, taxes and customs fees will put it way above 500 bucks)

Any even better/cheaper alternatives?

Kind regards

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
How about getting the SMSL SU-8 and JDS Labs Atom. You get balanced out from the former, and headphone out for the latter. It is not a one-box solution though.

MbphotoX

Thanks for the suggestion.
That would indeed save me a ton of money. I could even use my current HP amp with this box.

I have a Destiny Aristaios mkII (hybrid tube headphone amp) that I'm quite happy with. At some point, I'd like to get a Cayin HA-1A mk II to replace it.

Can't find a supplier in Switzerland, though. :oops:

Top Bottom