• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Breeze TPA3255 XLR Balanced Amplifier TearDown : DIP8 Op Amps.

maty

Major Contributor
Four cheap ferrites? -> They works > 1 MHz

Würth 150 kHz ferrites are better idea. I have a lot in my two audio systems. Many 8 mm and two 12 mm diameter.

And inside my modded KEF Q100 coaxial loudspeakers too. Old pictures:

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Four cheap ferrites? -> They works > 1 MHz
They maybe even cheaper via aliexpress that sells them in bulk at ridiculous (low) prices but no specifications are provided and proper construction may need to be verified. Key search words would be "ferrite bead" [duh];)
The non snap-on versions will require forethought; prior to the construction of the cable terminations.
I have a caché of them and use them as needed (and liberally). Yet I don't know (nor can confirm) if they mitigate noise problems, eventhough don't have much problems with extraneous noise coupling onto the spaghetti factory of my cables in my A/V setups.

Kevinfc

Hi amigos,

I finished my mods, here MY UPDATES (all components come from Mouser / Digikey) :

- updated the OPA2210 in DIP8 (genuine from Mouser)
- changed the 4X SMD Caps Power caps 470uf / 50V > Nichicon Audio Grade UKW1H471MHD 50V / 470UF (12.5mm x 20mm)
- changed the SMD Caps next to the OP amps = 220uf / 16V >Nichicon Audio grade UCQ1C221MCL1GS 16V /220UF (8mm x 10.8mm)
- Insulated the Power cables from PSU to Module
- Add ferrites on Speakers cables
- The neutral and the phase 220V cables were reversed... I corrected it )
- Twisted the 220V AC cables
- Added a copper film around the PSU transformer

First picture = stock amp

And so the question is, what are your impression, both pre and post modifications?

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Added a copper film around the PSU transformer
If your purpose is [?] an attempt for high-frequency shielding: Then, may I recommend that it should be (treated as) a 'Faraday cage' that is properly grounded/terminated?
However, if your attempt (w/copper tape) is [?] for low-frequency containment; then, you got yourself a placebo snake-oil!

OP
daniboun

daniboun

Major Contributor
And so the question is, what are your impression, both pre and post modifications?

Hi,

The stock amp is really good but these little mods improve the sound undoubtedly but I think the main update lies in the change of OP amps.
Less harshness in the treble, better definition of the bass, an excellent soundstage, mediums are also a bit more natural. The amp remains totally silent even with its volume at maximum. The OPA2210 is a jewel ! I tested the OPA1622, OPA1612, OPA1656, OPA1692... The OPA2210 definitely worth trying as I said before ! (I sent a pair to another forum member to get his opinion as well)
In any case, do not embark on this adventure without having good welding skills. Pay attention to the diameters of the caps and especially to their height limited by the case.

Kevinfc

Hi,

The stock amp is really good but these little mods improve the sound undoubtedly but I think the main update lies in the change of OP amps.
Less harshness in the treble, better definition of the bass, an excellent soundstage, mediums are also a bit more natural. The amp remains totally silent even with its volume at maximum. The OPA2210 is a jewel ! I tested the OPA1622, OPA1612, OPA1656, OPA1692... The OPA2210 definitely worth trying as I said before ! (I sent a pair to another forum member to get his opinion as well)
In any case, do not embark on this adventure without having good welding skills. Pay attention to the diameters of the caps and especially to their height limited by the case.
You seem to be the TPA3255 guy around here as you own a large number of amps using the chip. How would you rate this amp against the others you own? I am impressed with the power that the Breeze offers, it seems like no other off the shelf amp using the 3255 has close to it. I have several parts to build the same a similar piece, but this amp, with this power and that price makes me ask myself, why bother? Just buy the Breeze, perhaps make a few modifications as you suggest, and be done with it.

Last edited:
OP
daniboun

daniboun

Major Contributor
You seem to be the TPA3255 guy around here as you own a large number of amps using the chip. How would you rate this amp against the others you own? I am impressed with the power that the Breeze offers, it seems like no other off the shelf amp using the 3255 has close to it. I have several parts to build the same a similar piece, but this amp, with this power and that price makes me ask myself, why bother? Just buy the Breeze, perhaps make a few modifications as you suggest, and be done with it.

To be honest, my Satisfaction A2 is better, no way ) But not @the same price.... BTW : I am using the OPA2210 on it as well ! Same verdict, sounds absolutely nice !

For less than $200, with this little mod; this one is a real bargain ! It makes me remember the excellent Aiyima A04 black Tilear PCB, that was a jewel for its price too. The BRZHIFI has much more power and is fully balanced ) What really convinced me are the XLR inputs )

Let me know as soon as you get it and if you are in EU and need some OPA2210 op amps, I have some in stock.

Kevinfc

To be honest, my Satisfaction A2 is better, no way ) But not @the same price.... BTW : I am using the OPA2210 on it as well ! Same verdict, sounds absolutely nice !

For less than $200, with this little mod; this one is a real bargain ! It makes me remember the excellent Aiyima A04 black Tilear PCB, that was a jewel for its price too. The BRZHIFI has much more power and is fully balanced ) What really convinced me are the XLR inputs )

Let me know as soon as you get it and if you are in EU and need some OPA2210 op amps, I have some in stock.
How does this compare to your E3 or Shui Yuan builds?

holbob

Audiophonics seem to be selling this amplifier as their own brand.

eric00886

I think this product is from Brzhifi and I do not like this one:

1. I suggest inductor should be bigger(current specific) and it will limit amp's performance in high current output.
2. I suggest power cable should keep away from output cable.
3. Rough workmanship: some capacitors's shell are visibly burned. Thanks for ModDIY's correction.

Otherwise, it seem use an remote volume control, but has no remote control board.:oops:

##########################################################
Brzhifi/"博聲" is belong to a famous audio diy company "偉良". It has a lot of unbelievably cheap audio diy sets. In my own experience: fake components in taobao is nothing more than usual.;)

The PSU is from "匯能佳". I have seen it's product on pre-amp, DAC & CD-Player.

Last edited:

ModDIY

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I think this product is from Brzhifi and I do not like this one:

1. I suggest inductor should be bigger(current specific) and it will limit amp's performance in high current output.
2. I suggest power cable should keep away from output cable.
3. Rough workmanship: some capacitors's shell are visibly burned.

##########################################################
Brzhifi/"博聲" is belong to a famous audio diy company "偉良". It has a lot of unbelievably cheap audio diy sets. In my own experience: fake components in taobao is nothing more than usual.

The PSU is from "匯能佳". I have seen it's product on pre-amp, DAC & CD-Player.

Do you have pictures of burned capacitors ?

ModDIY

Addicted to Fun and Learning
These are capacitors that have been changed by larger ones and this by the member Daniboun.

OP
daniboun

daniboun

Major Contributor
How does this compare to your E3 or Shui Yuan builds?

I sold my 3E and Shui yuan amps...
But if you re looking for a full balanced xlr tpa3255 amp and if you have skills to mod : this is a very good amp to go with )

newbie7800

Hi Daniboun. Been following lots of your posts the last weeks and given I did not want to risk the A2 amp costs (due to reported reliability issues with previous poppulse amps), I decided to take the plunge and get the xlr tap3255. Ordered and waiting due to Chinese New Year. I fancy upgrading the op amps as suggested. Are these the adapters I need?:

And then I get this version of the OP Amp https://www.mouser.de/ProductDetail...=sGAEpiMZZMutXGli8Ay4kF/XEDs7uxELqmZkz9e68qY=

Are the ferrites just clip on types and which ones do you use?

Although I can solder, I do not think I will try any soldering changes (except the op amp adapters) but I would like to check the wiring. How do I tell if the power wires are not correct (neutral and phase). Thanks.

OP
daniboun

daniboun

Major Contributor
Hi Daniboun. Been following lots of your posts the last weeks and given I did not want to risk the A2 amp costs (due to reported reliability issues with previous poppulse amps), I decided to take the plunge and get the xlr tap3255. Ordered and waiting due to Chinese New Year. I fancy upgrading the op amps as suggested. Are these the adapters I need?:

And then I get this version of the OP Amp https://www.mouser.de/ProductDetail/Texas-Instruments/OPA2210ID?qs=sGAEpiMZZMutXGli8Ay4kF/XEDs7uxELqmZkz9e68qY=

Are the ferrites just clip on types and which ones do you use?

Although I can solder, I do not think I will try any soldering changes (except the op amp adapters) but I would like to check the wiring. How do I tell if the power wires are not correct (neutral and phase). Thanks.

Hi,
The Poppulse Satisfaction A2 is a safe value amp, this is my second one and got absolutely no issue with it but it is much more expensive than the BRZHIFI I agree )

If I were you, I would get all from DigiKey, their adapters are the best for me, easy to solder and pins are ready to use :

Here a picture of mine soldered :

20220126-141045-2.jpg

For the Ferrites, I got mine from Amazon but these ones are better :

Kevinfc

Hi,
The Poppulse Satisfaction A2 is a safe value amp, this is my second one and got absolutely no issue with it but it is much more expensive than the BRZHIFI I agree )

If I were you, I would get all from DigiKey, their adapters are the best for me, easy to solder and pins are ready to use :

Here a picture of mine soldered :

20220126-141045-2.jpg

For the Ferrites, I got mine from Amazon but these ones are better :

Nice soldering

OP
daniboun

daniboun

Major Contributor
Top Bottom