• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Aune X1s GT Review (DAC & Amp)

Rate this product:

• Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 7 4.0%
  • Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 42 24.1%
  • Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 109 62.6%
  • Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 16 9.2%

• Total voters

PenguinMusic

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hi Jupiter,

At this point I think there are only few options left.

First thing, if you look up, you'll see an AUNE official replied here. Maybe send him a MP and see if he/she can help.

Second thing : if you can, return product to dealer. If you bought it from a store, go there with the DAC and show them the problem.

Hope you'll be able to sort this out.

Regards.

Júpiter

As other users have experienced the same, AUNE has responded to me in other forum to explain where's the issue.Something weird related to the mode filter 3 and 4...still I don't get it, but already a step forward.
Now matters get diferent as is a general issue, not a singular unit problem.
At the very least we know whtat's going on...

Regards.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I think the reason why you see the slow rampup only once with coax is that the sample stream is not interrupted even when pausing playback (the players Spdif chip just sends zero PCM values). In USB mode it seems the DAC clears the stream buffer with each new song.

Júpiter

Thank you for your explanation, LTig.
Aune said to me:
"Hi, the phenomenon you stated seems to be the result of filter mode 3 and 4, which need more time for the PLL to lock (They have higher requirement for clock). After the lock, the volume will come to normal. If that is a problem to you, please try setting filter mode to 1 or 2, and see if that works:)"

And that's it.
So the 3 and 4 mode filters, called "pure mode (general)" & "pure mode (headphone)" don't work properly with USB input.Then i am doomed to use mode filter 1 or 2 called "standar mode (general)" & "standar mode (headphone)".
Whatever the reason is, I hope for a better solution from Aune than "don't use those filters..." since this is an engineering fault.That's all I know at this moment.
We'll see.
Regards.

PenguinMusic

Hi Jupiter,

As I understand it, there are 4 filters in the AUNE X1s DAC and 2 of those filters do not work as you hoped them to work.
I can understand your frustration...

My question is following (and that is to all the guys in here with much better technical skills than mine) : is the explanation from AUNE something that reveals a technical constraint for USB input, or is it a technical choice and thus a real engineering fault ?
I assume they could have placed something like a "buffer" while the PLL locks ?

The second question (and that is more directly for you Jupiter) : once the PLL is locked (whatever that means) and you have volume as it is intended to be, do you hear a difference between the several filters ?
I am asking because, as far as I am concerned, I find it really difficult to hear a difference between the filters.
If there is an audible difference, I must say that, to my ears, it is more than subtle...

Of course, I understand that you paid for a device that offers 4 filters and that you expect to have 4 working filters.
I am just saying this in case you can not return the device, to ease the fact that you will probably be able to live with that...

But of course if you can, I would advise to return the device.
Because even if you like the sound there will always be that little frustration that will then tell you to change it earlier than you expect.

verde57

Listening with headphones I hear no difference between the filters.
but
Zeos who reviewed the GT said listening with speakers there is a more clear difference between the filters.

Veri

Master Contributor
At all owners, about the volume knob. Does it have a "start" and "end" point? I can keep turning and the start/stop point just moves along. VERY weird knob. Is this "normal"?

Veri

Master Contributor
maybe a broken knob
Yeah I think so. It is loose at both ends and there's no actual MIN / MAX. Sigh. Can't imagine that to be the norm. This unit also seems to lose lock on data using rates higher than 44.1/48kHz, after which it re-initiates data sync alongside a loud POP noise. I think they sent me a total lemon. Back to amazon it goes .... and this is on default filter 1, not using filter 3/4 with stronger PLL.

The 15 minutes I listened to it it sounded quite nice, pretty strong power output on 1/4inch for HD6-- Sennheiser series, I imagine 4.4mm is only necessary for very needy cans like expensive planars.

Veri

Master Contributor
Perhaps a final update. Returned the X1S GT to amazon for a full refund. Bought the "aune x8 magical dac" which was (and still is) on sale on the hifistudio79 site.

So far a happy camper. It's a simple DAC with digital inputs, line-out and variable pre-amp out with volume knob. It includes all default ESS filters unlike the X1S GT, and so far no weird data locking issues, delays or cut-outs. It just works. Can recommend this one, although there's no measurements about possible ESS IMD hump thingie.. :)

PenguinMusic

Hi Veri,

If that delay before the X1s started to play was really annoying to you, I think you did the best possible choice :) And that is the magic of Amazon : being able to return and get a full refund.

I happen to own the x8 DAC from Aune.
I would say that it's sound is superb, but of course common knowledge here is that a DAC can't modifiy the sound.
So I'll simply say that I love it's looks (that is something really important to me) and as it's features satisfied my needs, I went for it.
And I am quite happy with it.

I partner it to the x7s headphone amp and that pair makes my Oppo PM-1 and Sony MDR-Z7 sing wonderfully :)

Regards.

Veri

Master Contributor
I would say that it's sound is superb, but of course common knowledge here is that a DAC can't modifiy the sound.
So I'll simply say that I love it's looks (that is something really important to me) and as it's features satisfied my needs, I went for it.
And I am quite happy with it.
Thanks for the feedback ;)

Garrincha

Worse performance (albeit not too bad still) and more expensive than the DX3 Pro+ - uninteresting.
Unfortunately, since visually it beats the Topping DX3 Pro+ by far, it looks gorgeous, alas the headphone amp unbalanced is very weak. What a pity.

verde57

who said is very weak?
I watched the latest review on youtube and doesn't say that

Garrincha

who said is very weak?
I watched the latest review on youtube and doesn't say that
Well, Amir writes 'I tested unbalanced output using my Sennheiser HD650. There was just enough volume there to be loud enough and produce excellent fidelity. If you want to have some headroom, you would want to swap its default cord for balanced.'. This corresponds to the measurements of 396 mW at 33 Ohm and 56 mW at 300 Ohm. The specs say: 'Output Power(6.35mm): 320mW@32Ω.', which is sufficiently close to the measured values. Thus it will not drive any unbalanced headphone, which is a pity.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, Amir writes 'I tested unbalanced output using my Sennheiser HD650. There was just enough volume there to be loud enough and produce excellent fidelity. If you want to have some headroom, you would want to swap its default cord for balanced.'. This corresponds to the measurements of 396 mW at 33 Ohm and 56 mW at 300 Ohm. The specs say: 'Output Power(6.35mm): 320mW@32Ω.', which is sufficiently close to the measured values. Thus it will not drive any unbalanced headphone, which is a pity.
It will drive many unbalanced headphones. It might not drive some particularly well if you use heavy eq.

Garrincha

It will drive many unbalanced headphones. It might not drive some particularly well if you use heavy eq.
I think I did not make myself sufficiently clear. What I wanted to say is that it will drive many but not all unbalanced handphones. Do you think it will be sufficient for the Beyerdynamics DT 1990 Pro, which is unbalanced ? I recently read a rule, thta a good headphone amp should have 100mW at 300 Ω, so it does not fulfill this criterion in the unbalanced mode.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I think I did not make myself sufficiently clear. What I wanted to say is that it will drive many but not all unbalanced handphones. Do you think it will be sufficient for the Beyerdynamics DT 1990 Pro, which is unbalanced ? I recently read a rule, thta a good headphone amp should have 100mW at 300 Ω, so it does not fulfill this criterion in the unbalanced mode.
I think that depends how loud you want to listen, how quiet the source file is and how big any eq preamp you might have. The 100mw @300 ohm rule of thumb should cover all of that and more for most users. The takeaway from the review is it can drive the hd650 to what Amir considers loud with no audible defects. But this product isn't the one to get to cover any and all harder to drive headphone purchases unbalanced, no.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
iu

Top Bottom