• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D10 Balanced Review (USB DAC)

Dover Soul

Hi, guys, I'm having a similar problem as BVa, except that I can't get any sound at all, no matter how many times I unplug it. The display correctly reflects the chosen audio format (e.g., 44.1 or 96.0 PCM). It worked fine for a month, but now no audio.

I'm going from a Windows 10 PC to a powered hub in my monitor, with output to a S.M.S.L. SH-9. I tried the same from a Mac, which also previously worked. I can still use the single-ended inputs to the amp, so I know that the computer, amp, and headphones work. The D10 is my only balanced source, and the SH-9 my only balanced amp, so that's the one connection I can't test separately.

Is there anything else I can try, or should I just send this back? I have until the end of January to return it to Amazon.

Edit: after leaving it unplugged all night, it works this morning. My tech. mantra is: "try again, try another." As Ace Ventura said, there's also: "wait longer."

Last edited:

zenon

The left channel noise of the topping d10b is strange.
When the output is higher than -30 dbfs, the noise level increases by +3 db.
This can also be found on the Archimago's Musings site.
Can we fix this?
View attachment 179844View attachment 179845
It is not a noise, it is a distortion.
ESS hump.

Start point to reduce ESS hump

Hee

It is not a noise, it is a distortion.
ESS hump.

Start point to reduce ESS hump

Hi~ My d10b has no hump in IMD.
It appears when thd+n and is RMAA stereo measurement. (-3dbfs)
Noise increases only in the left channel.
1111.jpg

Is this ess hump, too?

Ingenieur

Addicted to Fun and Learning
For those having the issue: does the little dot on the Topping stay on with the computer powered down?

I use a small form factor computer. It was a pita when it locked up, sometimes FooBar needed restarted. I fixed that by having restart normally when faulted by windows.

I also bought a DC extension cord and power the computer from by AV UPS (TV, cable box, PS3).

So far so good.

Last edited:

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've had mine unplugged for a month or so-it was working fine when I disconnected it but may need to plug it back in to make sure it still works...

peniku8

Forum Donor
SINAD of my unit, taken at 192khz sample rate. Ignore the garbage below 1khz, most of it comes from close proximity to other devices and power bricks on my desk.
Measurements coincide with Amir's.

RjcYy25.jpg

Cl1fmdP.jpg

Tansen

I prefer some TRS (1/4 inch) cables leaving the Topping, and they either have male XLR on the other end, or use a TRS to male XLR adapter for the other end. This reduces the length of stiff metal extending out the back of the Topping by two/thirds. Making it much handier to place somewhere. Balanced TRS cables easy to come by and still offer the benefits of balanced connection.
I share the same sentiment. The free Trs adapters are a nice touch but make the whole unit abnormally long and difficult to handle. Although multiple buying options exist for 3 feet and longer cables, 50cm length cables are rare on Amazon. For a D10b to A90 if I use 2 trs to xlr male cables, do I need to ensure that each of the cable is balanced? Would this be compatible.
Confused with “balanced”when 2 separate cables are being used.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I share the same sentiment. The free Trs adapters are a nice touch but make the whole unit abnormally long and difficult to handle. Although multiple buying options exist for 3 feet and longer cables, 50cm length cables are rare on Amazon. For a D10b to A90 if I use 2 trs to xlr male cables, do I need to ensure that each of the cable is balanced? Would this be compatible.
Confused with “balanced”when 2 separate cables are being used.
Yes that work fine. The right angle plug is a good idea. Reduces pressure on the plug in the Topping.

BVa

It looks (in my case) ,that the onboard switching power supply + 5.65V / -5.6V, which supplies the output analog circuits (3 OA) behind the DAC, fails / does not start ..). That PSU is powered from 5V inputs. The all other onboard sources (3.3V, 1.2V, 1V) start up normally, they are linear (not switched) sources, powered by 5V inputs. It is simply a faulty (unreliable) internal symmetrical switching power supply, consisting of one miniature 12-pin IC ( marked DP0 3V4) and a pair of SMD components (2 inductors, diodes, a pair of resistors and capacitors:facepalm:

SMS.jpg

Last edited:

fieldcar

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It looks (in my case) ,that the onboard switching power supply + 5.6V / -5.5V, which supplies the output analog circuits (3 OA) behind the DAC, fails / does not start ..). That PSU is powered from 5V inputs. The all other onboard sources (3.3V, 1.2V, 1V) start up normally, they are linear (not switched) sources, powered by 5V inputs. It is simply a faulty (unreliable) internal symmetrical switching power supply, consisting of one miniature 12-pin IC ( marked DP0 3V4) and a pair of SMD components (2 inductors, diodes, a pair of resistors and capacitors:facepalm:
Dang. That could have happened to any of us.
Hopefully you got it from apos. They've got a decent warranty for everything they sell.
If not, I'd reach out to the seller to see if they can help. Linsoul has been pretty good with warranty replacements too.

D

Deleted member 42764

Can this be paired with the schiit magni heresy? it's a SE amp. I didn't think it was possible until someone in reddit suggested this DAC to me. If it's possible how would that work? if it's not is the d10 the go-to choice? e30? atom dac+?

Veri

Master Contributor
Can this be paired with the schiit magni heresy? it's a SE amp. I didn't think it was possible until someone in reddit suggested this DAC to me. If it's possible how would that work? if it's not is the d10 the go-to choice? e30? atom dac+?
They probably meant D10S and not D10B. You can't/shouldn't use this one for single ended input, it will give problems.

staticV3

Master Contributor
You can connect the D10B to the Heresy with special cables. 6.35mm Tip connected to RCA Signal, and Sleeve connected to RCA GND. Ring not connected to anything.
Doing so will halve the DAC's output voltage.
I wouldn't use it that way.

D

Deleted member 42764

They probably meant D10S and not D10B. You can't/shouldn't use this one for single ended input, it will give problems.
I actually thought so too, but when I asked if they meant the D10S they said "no the D10B".
When I asked how that would work I didn't get a response so I thought either they weren't concentrating or just didn't know what they were talking about. But I could also be wrong so I sent here to make sure.

D

Deleted member 42764

You can connect the D10B to the Heresy with special cables. 6.35mm Tip connected to RCA Signal, and Sleeve connected to RCA GND. Ring not connected to anything.
Doing so will halve the DAC's output voltage.
I wouldn't use it that way. D
Yeah I wouldn't use it that way either. Thanks a lot for the explanation! Is there an alternative to the D10 you personally recommend? Atom/E30/Anything else in the price range.

Toku

Major Contributor
Yeah I wouldn't use it that way either. Thanks a lot for the explanation! Is there an alternative to the D10 you personally recommend? Atom/E30/Anything else in the price range.
If you choose from Topping's products, you can use any DAC with RCA output such as D10S E30 E50 D50s.

Last edited:

staticV3

Master Contributor
I don't have any experience with standalone DAC's, hence nothing I could personally recommend.

Top Bottom