• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

miniDSP Flex

Actungz

Bit of a shame for not switching inputs automatically, I obviously want to use Bluetooth once i connect a device. any idea what the ‘(C)’ stands for?
I totally get what you mean since my main use case would be USB output from my PC, and Bluetooth streaming from my phone when I’m cooking in the kitchen. If the flex can switch input when it detects sound being played I would 100% buy one right now.

As of right now the only device that can automatically switch input based on music being played AND have parametric eq filters for room correction is the Qudelix 5k.

However, it has an average (below average?) SINAD score, so even though it has a balanced 2.5mm output, I feel like it might be underperforming when connected to a Topping PA5.

Last edited:

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
However, it has an average (below average?) SINAD score, so even though it has a balanced 2.5mm output, I feel like it might be underperforming when connected to a Topping PA5.

Nonesense, the SINAD is only 'that bad' when you're using the top 6 dBs or so, while the volume control will probably be around -15 to -40 all the time.

Actungz

Nonesense, the SINAD is only 'that bad' when you're using the top 6 dBs or so, while the volume control will probably be around -15 to -40 all the time.

That’s awesome to hear then lol. I usually see people just talk about the SINAD when mentioning DACS side by side so I thought it would be more important. I rarely listen super loudly so it wouldn’t apply to me that much.

But yeah I would still like to get the flex proper bass management.

anotherhobby

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I just got my shipping notice for my order on the balanced version of the Flex! It’ll be here Monday, Jan 31. I ordered Jan 7th, so I’m guessing they must be getting pretty close to caught up on orders.

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That’s awesome to hear then lol. I usually see people just talk about the SINAD when mentioning DACS side by side so I thought it would be more important. I rarely listen super loudly so it wouldn’t apply to me that much.

But yeah I would still like to get the flex proper bass management.

I agree with @abdo123.

Although distortion is rather high noise noise performance is quite good (111 dB dynamic range at 2 V output), IMO noise is much more important than distortion because it is always present regardless of volume position and therefore much more audible.

Michael

Glasvegas

Forum Donor
First general impressions are very good. The rotary encoder is just a delight, you can change volume, preset, and input very easily using the knob. It's so good that it makes the remote redundant (i didn't really open it and not planing to).

Noise is just not a thing anymore. My brain tells me it is differently better than the 2x4HD but i learned well not to trust it.

All-in-all a much needed upgrade from the 2x4HD, I'm very satisfied. I emailed the support team about some features that were lacking at launch but i'm sure they will be ironed out eventually.

Which additional features have you requested?

Glasvegas

Forum Donor
Well some IR learning buttons were missing but apparently they’re discarding the feature completely with the Flex.
Have you tried listening with Bluetooth? I’m curious about how it compares to lossless in SQ.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Have you tried listening with Bluetooth? I’m curious about how it compares to lossless in SQ.
AAC on my iPhone is fine, Windows 11 is picking a dogshit bitrate sucking out all the highs and giving it a grungy warm (not in a good way) sound. Figuring out how to fix it but Windows has always been problematic with Bluetooth.

Glasvegas

Forum Donor
AAC on my iPhone is fine, Windows 11 is picking a dogshit bitrate sucking out all the highs and giving it a grungy warm (not in a good way) sound. Figuring out how to fix it but Windows has always been problematic with Bluetooth.

So, you haven’t been able to test LDAC?

RHO

Major Contributor
Very few source devices support it.
I assumed any recent Android phone did, because I didn't pay attention to that when choosing mine and it has LDAC. So, that's a lucky coincidence?:)

Glasvegas

Forum Donor
Very few source devices support it.

As @RHO says, I think most new Android phones support it. I know mine does.

The miniDSP Flex product page claims LDAC sounds better that AAC Bluetooth. So, if AAC sounds fine, can’t wait to get some member‘s opinion of LDAC SQ.

MCH

Major Contributor
As @RHO says, I think most new Android phones support it. I know mine does.

The miniDSP Flex product page claims LDAC sounds better that AAC Bluetooth. So, if AAC sounds fine, can’t wait to get some member‘s opinion of LDAC SQ.
I understand all android phones support it since a few years back.
In any case, what i wanted to tell you is that here in ASR amir made a comparison between bt formats, just have a look. If i remember well, ldac highest bit rate is by far the way to go
Edit: there you go:

Ultrasonic

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I understand all android phones support it since a few years back.

I don't know how many do but I've just checked and my Google Pixel 2 XL apparently supports LDAC, and it was released in November 2017.

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Received my Flex balanced yesterday and have it up and running on my desktop system with a pair of Neumann KH120s and a pair of SVS SB1000 pros. It's a gamechanger for desktop audio as it's the only small device that I've found that supports bass management and balanced outputs. It also meets by requirement of a volume knob for quick adjustments (and not trusting software volume control) and room EQ. It's quite the nice device and I think should be table stakes for anyone using studio monitors with subs for a desktop system.

BTW: the subs are unbalanced and I found no issues with using a cable configured to MiniDSP's recommendation. As I mentioned earlier, I believe all the worrying about using the flex balanced with unbalanced subs (or speakers) was unwarranted.

Last edited:

Sean Ku

See this article:
Thanks. Yeah, I actually forwarded them a link to this along with telling them that the item is less than $2500 so they shouldn't need my SSN. I haven't heard back from them since, and the item status is still being held in HK. This is the first time I've ever run into this situation.

Sean Ku

Thanks. Yeah, I actually forwarded them a link to this along with telling them that the item is less than $2500 so they shouldn't need my SSN. I haven't heard back from them since, and the item status is still being held in HK. This is the first time I've ever run into this situation.
I don't want to take this thread off topic, but my experience may be of interest to other people who want to order a Flex directly from MiniDSP.
This morning, I got a phone call from DHL following up from the electronic message I sent them. The patient woman explained to me that they need to have the number (because of the tariffs). My options were to provide a number, ask DHL to turn the process over to my own customs clearing agent (I don't have one), or ask DHL to return the item free of charge.

I opted to go online and apply for an EIN at irs.gov. It takes a couple minutes. I provided that number to DHL and things are moving forward for now. I don't know what kind of future paperwork I have incurred by getting the EIN. The DHL employee told me that the social security number or EIN is forwarded electronically to US Customs, but that it also goes into my (customer record) in DHL's computer system ~permanently. I understand other people might not worry about this.

If I had this to do again, I would probably wait to buy it through the Colorado vendor when they get it.

Alternatively, I might have been better off ordering just the Flex by itself. I ordered the Umik-1 and the Dirac upgrade at the same time. Perhaps if I had ordered only the Flex, the value of the order would have been low enough to have not triggered this process. I've ordered things from China before, and never encountered this customs situation.

Top Bottom