• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ISOTEK EVO3 Aquarius Power Conditioner Review

Rate this product:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 209 93.3%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 6 2.7%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 5 2.2%

• Total voters

McFly

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I expect it would do nothing. You need very large inductance to do that and that will cause voltage droop on the DC side. That's what choke regulation in a linear supply does. Better to eschew the linear and use a switcher.
That in response to the dynamics claim, the amp output measurable harmonics claim or both?

audio2design

Major Contributor
Is ISOTEK = no-changeTEK. If not, what does ISO stand for in audio?

Mainly they ISOlate gullible audiophiles from their money. The DC blockers can come in handy if you have DC offset and a big toroid linear supply

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
That's looking purely at voltage. Now take an amplifier with a linear supply and look at the frequency spectrum of the current waveform on the AC input.
Why would I want to do that? Any device relying on energy of harmonics of AC is broken.

audio2design

Major Contributor
Why would I want to do that? Any device relying on energy of harmonics of AC is broken.

Virtually every linear power supply and every switch mode power supply without a PFC front end which is almost every switch mode used in audio has significant current harmonics at > 50/60 Hz out of necessity, not because they are broken. It's how they work. THD on the input current waveform on a linear supply or switch mode without PFC can easily be >30% and worse the lighter the load.

MC_RME

Technical Expert
Audio Company
It's a good thing it does not filter down to 120Hz or a lot of equipment would not work. You are only looking at voltage spectrum when the critical spectrum is current spectrum in application and that in application is critical. Linear supplies and even some switch mode supplies need those higher frequencies in the current spectrum otherwise your rectified DC voltage would drop below design values especially under heavy load.
I'm as confused as amirm. This statement does not make any sense.

Maybe you meant to say something different? A perfect situation would be a pure 50 /60 Hz sine at the output of the filter, and there is not a single device that would not work happily with such a clean source.

audio2design

Major Contributor

Maybe you meant to say something different? A perfect situation would be a pure 50 /60 Hz sine at the output of the filter, and there is not a single device that would not work happily with such a clean source.

Thats voltage. That's not current. The harmonic content of the current is much different from voltage.

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

They would however produce their own current harmonics anyway .

And a clean sine vave source is not the issue really that would work fine , but rather the high impedance source you would have if you actually had a passive filter working down almost to the fundamental ?

Simplest case would be a very large series inductance . You can get a significant voltage drop over the filter . Hence the filter must be designed for the load . That’s better done in the product itself like a classic LCLC filter that some old tube amps have .

I work with AC and DC drive system where the main inductance is a part of the circuit the . In DC drives they are even classified after their voltage drop in our product catalogue 1% or 4% .

Large AC drives can have an active 4Q rectifyer this has an LCL filter in front then ofcourse designed for the load.

My point really is that if the filter makes a significant contribution it must be designed with load in mind IE a part of the product itself .

If you want a clean 50/60 Hz it s time for a power regeneration device of some kind , that sounds expensive to me for not much gain .

Maybe some motor and generator set :) i’m thinking rotating power supplies as a very expensive and cumbersome way to do this , but it will effectively separate audiophiles from large amounts of cash ?

FeddyLost

Did anyone really expect something serious from this?

Attachments

• IsoTek-Aquarius-EVO3-S-2.jpg
    IsoTek-Aquarius-EVO3-S-2.jpg
    249.9 KB · Views: 1,352
  • IsoTek_Aqauarius_Evo3-0016.jpg
    IsoTek_Aqauarius_Evo3-0016.jpg
    366.2 KB · Views: 1,396
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Did anyone really expect something serious from this?
Good grief. A handful of parts and they charge $2,000? Even allowing for generous dealer margin, that is way overpriced.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Thats voltage. That's not current. The harmonic content of the current is much different from voltage.
So what? Harmonic distortion is created due to non-ideal aspect of the source. It has nothing to do with requirement of said distortion existing for the load to operate. You have cause and effect confused with each other.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
The device contains common mode filters and MOVs (transient suppressors) and a circuit breaker.
The same components are (or should) be found in almost any device (except for the high current circuit breaker) using an SMPS if they need to comply to rules.
2 outputs have different filtering (intended for power amps) without the common mode inductors.

Common mode suppression is not measured though and most likely Amir's setup is not afflicted with common mode issues so nothing will show in the measurements.
In the vast majority of cases devices like this will do nothing and are a waste of money. A very expensive and fancy power strip.
In some cases devices like this could potentially help.
There are much cheaper options in that case though which could offer a similar amount of attenuation of HF suppression and/or protection against transients.

Most likely the only thing devices like this do for the average hifi/audiophile system is make the owner believe they now have a 'clean' power supply and their brains will happily make things sound better.

Last edited:

Dennis_FL

Forum Donor
With all those accolades from review sites about an expensive do-nothing and after just reading the Starke review, [whispering now], do you think something shady is going on?

Hayabusa

Its not that the device needs these harmonics to work. It needs a sufficient low impedance at these harmonics. A filter that would already kick in at 120Hz would give a higher impedance at these frequencies. I think this is the essence of what audio2design tries to explain.

Last edited:

Massimo

So much for their slogan ...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-01-23 at 7.53.05 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2022-01-23 at 7.53.05 pm.png
    785 KB · Views: 283
Top Bottom