• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Speaker isolation pads question

tjtremor

1642780380011.png

How accurate is this description of isolating speakers ? I don't have any anti-vibration foam but I did find some spare non-slip mat (soft rubber). I used two layers for my Klipsch rp-600m(mounted on my computer desk).

For me, it made a difference in the base response (louder, more precise) , not so much for highs/mids. I had no idea these speakers respond well to anti-vibration pads.

Attachments

• 1642780661465.png
    1642780661465.png
    992.3 KB · Views: 129

EdTice

How accurate is this description of isolating speakers ? I don't have any anti-vibration foam but I did find some spare non-slip mat (soft rubber). I used two layers for my Klipsch rp-600m(mounted on my computer desk).

For me, it made a difference in the base response (louder, more precise) , not so much for highs/mids. I had no idea these speakers respond well to anti-vibration pads.
Speaker isolation pads work to isolate the speaker. Speakers work by vibrating and moving air. If they are sitting on top of something else, one of two things can happen. They can cause the furniture to vibrate adding undesired noise. That same vibration can cause the speaker cabinet to move instead of the air and then you will lose some sound. Neither is desirable. I've never bought a speaker that didn't come with some little rubber feet exactly for this purpose. And you should use them.

The more interesting question is do fancy, expensive isolation pads work better than the little rubber ones that come with the speakers. Probably not!

warnerwh

I've never bought a speaker that didn't come with some little rubber feet exactly for this purpose.

I find that statement very interesting. I've been at this for over 50 years and can't remember any speakers that came with little rubber feet. I guess I need to get out more.;)

radix

Major Contributor
I find that statement very interesting. I've been at this for over 50 years and can't remember any speakers that came with little rubber feet. I guess I need to get out more.;)

I think a lot of bookshelf speakers come with press-on rubber feat.

tvrgeek

Major Contributor
Any enhanced bass I suggest is placebo, but it is your ears and your speakers. I can't tell you what you hear. Anyway, my mains sit of ceramic elephants so I use a bit of that same carpet no-slip so they don't rock. ( not the best sonically , but high WAF)

In theory, a speaker that was pretty lightly built, with big woofer and tremendous power could, in some extreme case, the cabinet displace enough for doppler effect. It does not violate the laws of physics, but I suggest exceeds the practical. In some cases, the laws of physics is not violated is a flimsy cabinet did not transfer some of that to a thin flimsy desk top causing resonances. Nothing says it can't, but nothing says it likely will.

Do you find it ironic, they also sell spikes to increase the coupling to the surface with the same magic results promised?

The funniest is the spikes sitting on a plate, sitting on balls in cups. Some magic about allowing displacement ( enhancing doppler) and "grounding" the speaker. I was at a very high end store and for speaker demo, he was carefully using a level and adjustable spikes between the speaker and stand, that was sitting on thick carpet that was almost unstable. They did cater to the ego brands and they did not try to sell me on them. The only way small stores can stay open is to remove some excess cash from very rich fools.

The primary function of all this is to transfer your money that should have been spent on better speakers into their boat payment. Your solution is excellent, leaving you funds to buy more music.

Never had a speaker come with feet either, though stuck some on over the years.

OP
T

tjtremor

Any enhanced bass I suggest is placebo, but it is your ears and your speakers. I can't tell you what you hear. Anyway, my mains sit of ceramic elephants so I use a bit of that same carpet no-slip so they don't rock. ( not the best sonically , but high WAF)

placebo, that's possible

I did have the subwoofer trailing the speakers in volume before the change. After I mounted them on the no-slip soft rubber I did have to increase the subwoofer volume by ~1db-2db to get the bass balance back.

Maybe high volume ~100db doesn't help sound due to high vibrations without soft pads. The change wasn't really drastic, if I go by the subwoofer adjustment, maybe 1db better for bass from the Klipsch speakers.

EdTice

They are usually in the same plastic bag where the manual/instructions are. You probably just threw it out! Remember when you were a kid and you got a Christmas card and you didn't read it but gave it a big shake to see if there was any money! Try it with the manuals and you might find ten cents worth of press-on rubber feet! (Apologies to anybody who is humor impaired!)

Top Bottom