• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Vera Audio P400/1000 Review (Amplifier)

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 7 2.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 52 20.6%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 193 76.3%

• Total voters

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Fantastic amp!

DanielT

Major Contributor
Thanks for the test Amir!:)

Cool! Go Norway!:D
It looks really good.

This is what they say themselves:

We have posted a Vera Audio P400 / 1000 to the Acoustic Review Forum. It was also measured by Pro Sound Training recently. Below are parts of the result. We are proud of the 105 dB (balanced) CMRR.

CAF VAP400_1000 main.jpg

They wanted LTS to test it, do not know if they did that since I do not subscribe to that magazine. In any case, now we have this from Amir and it was great.:)

LTS (Sound Technical Society)

Attachments

• shot_2022-01-22_09-26-16.png
    shot_2022-01-22_09-26-16.png
    562.6 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:

Andreas007

Europe = high taxes and wages, high manufacturing cost. Now likely to rise because of "greenflation".
First time to hear “greenflation”. What a manipulative neologism!
Not saying you’re being manipulative.
Let’s face it, if you are manufacturing in a high wage country, taking care for the environment (e. g. like Genelec) and not using slaves as work force you have to ask for a higher price. That’s totally justifiable in my opinion.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
First time to hear “greenflation”. What a manipulative neologism!
Not saying you’re being manipulative.
Let’s face it, if you are manufacturing in a high wage country, taking care for the environment (e. g. like Genelec) and not using slaves as work force you have to ask for a higher price. That’s totally justifiable in my opinion.
Propaganda and lobbying by oil companies pushed European countries from investing all the way in Nuclear.

Now because of Covid depleting Gas Reserves that Europe has, gas prices are 900% of what they used to be before covid and people who don’t have a ‘fixed’ power contract are royally fucked and people who still use traditional gas cooking stoves are even more fucked.

Power poverty is becoming more and more a thing, everyone is like ‘not in my backyard’ when it comes to renewable sources and politicians have their pockets filled with oil money. Current nuclear power plants are being retired and new gas plants are being installed.

If this situation is not resolved in the next 10 years Europe will not be a competitive (Hi-Fi) exporter.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Anyone able to calculate what input voltage is needed for 12dB to be selected; or what gain one can use with a 4Vrms input? I could be wrong, but I’m calculating ~14Vrms input for 12dB gain (what Hi-Fi DAC does this other than the Benchmark?) and for ~4Vrms I’m calculating a gain of 23dB (so the 24dB setting on this amp can be used).

Company measurements show that distortion doesn’t kick in drastically till ~700W. Would gain setting have that much of an impact?

Do gain settings differ for bridged mode?

Last edited:

DanielT

Major Contributor
Norway got its revenge with this good amplifier. :p

It looked a bit dark a while ago considering this:

Completely fascinating (maybe even scary). Such a big difference in performance! o_O
Vera Audio P400 / 1000 vs Hegel H95 that is.

Edit:
Incidentally, in the same price range and, well it's like in different universes:

Edit:
Restoration may be better words than revenge. Never mind, you get the point.:)

Last edited:

Feyire

Don't plan to do that as there is so much backlog here.
@amirm Perhaps you can make an exception, given how well this product measures? Bit of a shame if you don't cover some of the important features such as variable gain and bridged mode. After all, they add to the high cost.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@amirm Perhaps you can make an exception, given how well this product measures? Bit of a shame if you don't cover some of the important features such as variable gain and bridged mode. After all, they add to the high cost.
The guy is dealing with a flooded house and a partner recovering from injury. Lets give him a break this product is obviously good. We should be glad to even have this review during such a difficult time for him.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Katji

Major Contributor
I think it's really nice looking and performs as well as you'd get with these modules.

They've put a ton of effort into reliability, heat disipation and construction. It sets a new benchmark for Hypex implementations IMO.

The fan on the side looks like a tiny subwoofer. ;)
Maybe some sort of baffle? Can't see intake slots on top or other side...

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe some sort of baffle? Can't see intake slots on top or other side...
More info here.

kongwee

Major Contributor
Nobody will use work forced labour in this industry. You need at least 10 year of education to do assembly. You must be comfortable with machine and tools. That was decades ago. You can't do it with forced labour at all. With lots of automation, you need people at least 12 years of education to do it. Lot of programming and less hand on. It really against fact and science to claim forced labour nowadays, unless you talk about slave trade in Africa which don't involved in any technical field.

To add, it is not expensive to make this hi end gear in EU. Properly better than US as over inflated economy. In youtube, you can look see all the machine doing most of the work with a dozen workers. Even made in China is not affordable if you do not pushed for great quantity.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Anyone able to calculate what input voltage is needed for 12dB to be selected; or what gain one can use with a 4Vrms input? I could be wrong, but I’m calculating ~14Vrms input for 12dB gain (what Hi-Fi DAC does this other than the Benchmark?) and for ~4Vrms I’m calculating a gain of 23dB (so the 24dB setting on this amp can be used).

Company measurements show that distortion doesn’t kick in drastically till ~700W. Would gain setting have that much of an impact?

Do gain settings differ for bridged mode?
Low gain settings might be useful to limit noise with sensitive speakers (eg horn tweeters) or to limit maximum power into smaller speakers.

Or to safely make a volume control accessible at a party :)

Top Bottom