• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Chromecast Ultra And Chromecast with Google TV as Audio Streamers

jmaz87

Glad this helped someone. I couldn't find anything either regarding volume so I'm glad I made the post.

Your Headphones don't support surround so if you go to ccwgtv audio settings there is an option to disable surround sound. I already had it set this way when I was using TV's optical output to avoid a similar issue.

The solution is 2 fold because it fixed volume level AND volume control (remote now controls audio via usb) so I don't have to expect my GF to learn how to set the Preamp if I used Headphones the night before. she can just use Chromecast remote and won't blow my speakers!

nightshift543

Glad this helped someone. I couldn't find anything either regarding volume so I'm glad I made the post.

Your Headphones don't support surround so if you go to ccwgtv audio settings there is an option to disable surround sound. I already had it set this way when I was using TV's optical output to avoid a similar issue.

The solution is 2 fold because it fixed volume level AND volume control (remote now controls audio via usb) so I don't have to expect my GF to learn how to set the Preamp if I used Headphones the night before. she can just use Chromecast remote and won't blow my speakers!
@jmaz87

I just checked the headphones' manual and looks like you're right, it's a stereo headset which doesn't support surround sound. So in theory, after disabling surround sound in Chromecast's audio settings, it should work like a charm. The thing is, this was actually the very first thing I tried and unfortunately it doesn't have any effect, the error continues to pop up every time I'm trying to play a 5.1 title on Netflix. I'll keep searching for a solution for a few days, and if nothing comes up then I guess I will have no choice but to buy a headset which supports surround sound, although it's pretty damn infuriating that I have to buy new headphones just because of this Netflix issue. Here's something interesting, a picture that I found while trying to find solutions:

It looks like at one point there used to be an option called "Never use surround sound" in the audio settings of Chromecast With Google TV. This option would have probably solved my issue right away, but sadly the "Never" option is gone now, not sure when and why exactly they decided to remove it (just my luck!)

jmaz87

you don't need different headphones dude. 99.9% of headphones have 2 drivers therefore they only support stereo... you literally had to pass teh surround sound option to get to the "format selection" screen. you shouldn't even be able to get to that screen with it off...

display & sound settings - look at the bottom just under system sounds it should have a rocker for surround sound. turn it off. done. show me the screen before this...

jmaz87

to be clear if you even see 5.1 in the netflix title then u don't have it disabled in CCWGTV as the app has zero settings to change. none of the titles in netflix say anything other than dolbyvision, 4k, etc. for me now that its disabled.

nightshift543

Well it wouldn't be called a bug if it would work as intended ;). Surround sound off, still no sound on 5.1 titles :). Tomorrow I will do a factory reset on the Chromecast, let's see how it turns out.

jmaz87

your doing something wrong show a screenshot of your "display and sound settings"

jmaz87

Well it wouldn't be called a bug if it would work as intended ;). Surround sound off, still no sound on 5.1 titles :). Tomorrow I will do a factory reset on the Chromecast, let's see how it turns out.
I don't know if there is a language barrier or something but your literally not reading my comments. there are ZERO bugs here and the only issue is that sheeple keep trying to watch 5.1 content on systems that don't support the format whether it be dolby or atmos etc.

THE ONLY FORMAT YOU CAN USE IS PCM!!!! so ill say it one last time to avoid you further polluting this thread POST FIX.

IF YOU EVEN SEE 5.1 CONTENT YOU DON't HAVE CCWGTV set correctly.... it supports PCM 24/96hz. any surround sound format will only result in an error.

its USER ERROR 99% of the time

ok i fell better rant over... look forward to seeing the screen of your menu

nightshift543

Hehe just click on the 3 reddit threads that I linked last time, there are tens or even hundreds of people getting this error, it's either Netflix' fault or Chromecasts' fault, definitely not user error. It's absurd to assume that all these people (me included) forgot to disable surround sound in the Chromecast audio settings, since it's probably the very first thing everyone tries, but it's in vain, trust me. The first reddit link (the 1st out of 3) is what concerns me the most, because it looks like even if I'd buy a headset which actually supports surround sound, it doesn't necessarily mean that the error will go away. What a mess, I hope the factory reset will fix this issue, otherwise I'll have no choice but to switch to Bluetooth.

jmaz87

u keep posting things that don't help the conversation... do you want to fix it or keep proving to nobody that you have a problem...

show a screenshot of your menu as requested or stop posting in this thread unless you solve it yourself...

jmaz87

also an example so that I can test the same content would be helpful, not more posts by people with your problem... who is that for lol

jmaz87

for reference I use an external DAC taking all my digital sources so I still have optical as a backup from TV is there really is a legitimate issue with Netflix via usb Hub. that would be pretty lame though considering any other content is perfect.

jmaz87

I just tested the top 10 list on Netflix and was able to get maybe 3 titles to error on me as well. I'm still not sure if its the same issue because as stated above I don't see 5.1 anywhere on any titles whether they play or not. So when you keep stating you can't play 5.1 titles its like your still stuck on that for some reason... any Headphones with surround sound are either really really bad sounding or do it with software and meh sounding at best. headphones are designed to work in stereo, it doesn't matter what the marketing says... dolby atmos is getting better for sure but when it comes to sound quality NOTHING will beat a decent wired Headphone. period.

I will have to un plug usb and test again to confirm your issue. sorry for the confusion but i do find it strange that you see 5.1 still, and suspect another issue

nightshift543

Oh, it goes without saying that after I disable surround sound from Chromecast's audio settings, the "5.1" audio tracks in Netflix disappear (but even so, the problem still won't go away, even with Surround disabled). But anyway we're way past that point now, the more I'm researching the more obvious it becomes that this issue has nothing to do with 5.1. You're definitely experiencing the same issue that I do, so forget about the whole 5.1 theory, I probably misled you without realizing :p (saying that only the 5.1 titles won't play was an incorrect assumption on my part).

Last edited:

jmaz87

I haven't had any issues playing any content from any other apps so I would assert that is IS a netflix issue.

nightshift543

Same here, content from all the other apps plays just fine :). So I guess this wraps it up for now, since we're finally on the same page :D! Please let me know if you ever manage to get those titles to play, I'll do the same, I'll keep looking into this issue and you'll be the first person to inform if I actually find a fix :cool:. Cheers!

Last edited:

srslee

Great news! I got my usb-c hub back from GF and hooked it up to CCWGTV today and confirmed the low volume. I suspected this was a chromecast digital volume setting since the folks using these for music didn't mention using a TV and a lot of people (including me) use the included remote to control the TV's volume (not the native CC volume) so I switched remote buttons in settings to chromecast volume and boom u get a notification on screen when u try to raise the volume warning about loud scary stuff... u hit select then boom u can crank volume to max and your in business! this is now an alternative to the discontinued chromecast audio and now I wish someone could put a light on this to have it measured for jitter etc! "budget" usb music streamer and a 4k media streamer in one! makes me question if i need the RPI3 allo digione in livingroom anymore.
So are you leaving the Chromecast source volume at max at all times, or are you also using it to control the volume levels that way? I ask because I'm planning to use the CC -> TV -> MiniDSP 2x4 HD -> Amp, and the MiniDSP doesn't have a volume display. I'll upgrade to another MiniDSP unit eventually, but for now, I was thinking of either using another DAC in front of the MiniDSP (which isn't ideal since it introduces another AD DA conversion), or just using the Chromecast volume. I'm guessing the only issue with leaving the MiniDSP on max volume, and controlling Chromecast volume would be potential reduction in effective number of bits. Is this the right thinking? What's been your experience if you control volume through Chromecast itself?

jmaz87

volume control via CC is totally fine and in most cases more convenient since i already use cc remote to navigate etc.
the only caveat is for some reason CC via usb has a conflict with "some" of the content on Netflix... so when that happens I fall back on the TV's native Netflix app and use the TV's optical out instead. both cc via usb and optical go into the same dac which feeds my pre-amp so i still have volume control via pre-amp. hope this helps

Pdelux

My understanding is that most android devices will resample everything to 96khz. My pixel phone does that no matter the source. Older devices would be lower like 48khz.

If you want a bit perfect streamer thats reasonably cheap, look at wiim mini streamer. Plays bit perfect to 24 96.

yllanos

Is there anyone with experience using CCwGTV as a ROON endpoint connected to a external DAC via USB?

Top Bottom