• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Best way to construct crossover with tiny/short leads

Nwickliff

Hello Everyone,

I think I have an issue with a crossover board. It's a fabricated board in which you solder the leads on the bottom of the board. I was having all kinds of issues and couldn't get the tweeter to behave.

I pulled all the components off the board but now my leads are super short. What's the best way to go about soldering these together? It's a three way and I need to squeeze whatever board I make needs to fit into a 6" hole. I need to be able to squeeze all the components pretty close together which means I need to be able to move them around a bit. How can I connect all the leads together securely when they are all about a 1/4" long?

Jim Matthews

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What little I know came from building Troels Gravesen's designs. Note that crossover boards need not be all on one "plate" as the signal feed wires, or serial connections can be used to span more than one backing plate. It has been my habit to install crossovers first and leave the driver leads a little long for ease of assembly.

OP
N

Nwickliff

What little I know came from building Troels Gravesen's designs. Note that crossover boards need not be all on one "plate" as the signal feed wires, or serial connections can be used to span more than one backing plate. It has been my habit to install crossovers first and leave the driver leads a little long for ease of assembly.

That is one gorgeous-looking crossover. Mine look like a 3rd grader put it together! I did have a quick thought about possibly putting three smaller boards in the enclosure with a single board per driver. I like that connector he had running through the middle of them all too. That would be a convenient way to get all your grounds together or link multiple components together without struggling too much.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
coils_9.gif

This should give some pointers regarding coil placement.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello Everyone,

I think I have an issue with a crossover board. It's a fabricated board in which you solder the leads on the bottom of the board. I was having all kinds of issues and couldn't get the tweeter to behave.

I pulled all the components off the board but now my leads are super short. What's the best way to go about soldering these together? It's a three way and I need to squeeze whatever board I make needs to fit into a 6" hole. I need to be able to squeeze all the components pretty close together which means I need to be able to move them around a bit. How can I connect all the leads together securely when they are all about a 1/4" long?
When I clip crossover components I tend not to re-use them except for prototyping with alligator leads. However, you could get a little spool of tinned solid wire and use it to make the leads longer. I don't see any other alternative short of getting new components.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
In case of a 3-way, possibly you can split it up into two parts to make it fit though the hole easier? Try to draw up the design first. If needed extend the leads a bit with some bare wire.

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Do I understand correctly that you just need to add a little length to some of the leads? With large components, I would just bend a J in the component lead and also in the extension. Then hook them together, crimp with pliers and solder. For the extension lead I would just use a resistor lead if you've got some laying around (wait to cut off the resistor until after you've made the splice).

For small components I agree you should just replace them.

Top Bottom