• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

My headphone's XLR pin or connecter is melting/melted what the fuck

Rapidstormz

Was just unplugging my AKG K371 and noticed that the XLR connecter's outer tube was a little sticky for some reason. As I took a closer look I was shocked to find that there were some golden liquid stains surrounding the outer XLR connecter tube (it looks something like melted gold in liquid form). I also noticed that the inner connecting tube at the side of the headphones where the XLR receiver would be inserted is seem to be quite sticky. What the fuck? I am aware that I do live in a very humid country and my room has no proper ventilation but I don't think it's even close to hot enough to melt my headphones inner XLR?

As of now my headphones is still working and sound fine(?) Or maybe it's just that it's my very first pair of warm sounding/signature headphones as I only had them for 2 weeks so I don't seem to be able to notice a difference in sound quality. Maybe to a pair of trained ears it would be able to tell whether the audio quality has been affected or not but certainly not a newcomer like me.

This is my very first pair of wired headphones and my k371 is still very new so I'm confused as to whether I should send it back under it's 1 year warranty or just keep it for now?

Edit: I'm only using things that came in the box of the K371. No add-ons; no adapter, no amp and plugged straight into my laptop directly. And no I haven't touched the Adapter - 3.5 mm (1/8") to 6.5 mm (1/4") that was in the box. Have only used the 2 x Straight cables - 3.0 m (9.8') and 1.2 m (2.5'), the headphone itself and the carrying pouch. The 6.35mm/3.5mm-to-XLR adapter and coiled cables are still in the plastic brand new and untampered with.

Edit 2: Solved! Turns out it was just leftover rosin soldering flux. Nothing to worry about. Phew.

Last edited:

raif71

Major Contributor
I see you have started similar topic in Reddit

OP
R

Rapidstormz

I see you have started similar topic in Reddit
Yeah, no responses though. Which is why I came over here to see if anyone here is able to help me or give some insight to my situation.

Top Bottom