• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Visiting New Orleans next week - any ideas

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
First time there. Day time will be work and will have evenings and about 2-3 full days. Staying just south of the French Quarter off of Canal St and about 5 min walk from House Of Blues :)

Any tips on places to see, food, beer, music, audio, photography etc.? I don't eat red or dark meat. I will try any kind of beer or wine or whatever. Would love to have a beer and listen to some live music.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
If you like shrimp, New Orleans "Barbeque Shrimp" is a must. It is actually not barbequed. It is a butter sauce full of spices (not hot) with the shrimp swimming in it. The key is the great baguette they give you to go with it that you dunk in the sauce. All the major restaurants have it including Brennan's.

A Beignet for afternoon snack by Jackson square is a great thing to do.

I would have more recommendations for you but not eating red or dark meat puts me out of business for most of it. :)

On photography, French quarter at night should give a lot of opportunities for street/candid shots.

Music is everywhere in French quarter at night. I would just walk around and stop in whichever one fancies you.

I have not been there for 20+ years so my data may be a bit rusty. :) I had fantastic time when I used to go there.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
The crime stats are pretty scary for New Orleans. I would be just hang out where there are other crowds. When I was there, police on horseback were everywhere and thousands of people running around. In that video, they are on an empty street and there, I would be very careful. Walk fast and with purpose (as if you are a local) if caught in such a situation.

tinger

Acme Oyster house...if you wanna splurge, Commanders Palace and of course you cannot visit Nola and not go to Cafe du monde for chicory coffee and beignets!

OP
stunta

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ah yes, forgot to mention coffee. Hopefully the espresso is more European.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Felix's for sandwiches.

Ron Party

CPH (Chief Prog Head)
In the French Quarter... virtually any place you go will be excellent. Jazz, blues and spicy cajun cuisine. Best Bloody Mary beverages I've ever had.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
First time there. Day time will be work and will have evenings and about 2-3 full days. Staying just south of the French Quarter off of Canal St and about 5 min walk from House Of Blues :)

Any tips on places to see, food, beer, music, audio, photography etc.? I don't eat red or dark meat. I will try any kind of beer or wine or whatever. Would love to have a beer and listen to some live music.
Just checked and unfortunately LA doesn't honor MA CCW permit reciporocity if you wisely have one.
That said I'd still put my carry in my pocket, better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6. ;)

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The WW2 museum is well worth a visit if you like history.

OP
stunta

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just checked and unfortunately LA doesn't honor MA CCW permit reciporocity if you wisely have one.
That said I'd still put my carry in my pocket, better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6. ;)

I had to look up what CCW is. I guess I am not 100% Americanized yet.

OP
stunta

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
New Orleans is like a lot of other places, use a bit of common sense and in the main tourist/shopping/business areas and you should be fine. I used to go there quite a bit (it's the centre of the US offshore support vessel sector, even if most of the ships now work out of Port Fourchon) for meetings, conferences etc and quite enjoyed it. Good food and the downtown French quarter area is very lively at night. That said, some of the meeting venues I went to in company offices involved taxi rides through less salubrious areas where things did look rather threatening. However, very few major cities (or not so major cities) are free of such areas.

OP
stunta

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Good weather, delicious food, great music & friendly folks. Overall, a very good visit.

That weekend it so happened that there was a Blues festival in Lafayette Park. I had no idea. I was wandering around, heard from music, followed it and ended up at the park. There was food & beer too. We went to this cozy little pub called Fritzel's and the band was amazing.

Best shrimp I ever had at Felix's. Having grown up vegetarian, seafood was the hardest food type to start eating and I am very picky - it has to be fresh and cooked well. I swore I would never eat oysters cos they look disgusting to me. Ended up eating a dozen or so at Felix's - grilled and seasoned, wow!

Beignets at Cafe Du Monde were amazing! We reached there so late that I had to drink decaf which as usual was terrible. The wife had regular which I tasted and that was much better.

Bourbon st. had a decent presence of police, so we felt quite safe even late at night.

WW II museum was quite good, although the one in Paris, France is a lot better with more weapons on display.

[ Photos, even from my phone, are too large for the this forum :( Would be so much easier if the uploader would auto-resize them. ]

Cheers and thanks for all the tips.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Seems like you did the top things to do there.

[ Photos, even from my phone, are too large for the this forum :( Would be so much easier if the uploader would auto-resize them. ]
For sure. Unfortunately the forum developers insist this feature can't be implemented. :(

Top Bottom