• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping MX5, A new device?

Francisco

Olá pessoal, sou novo por aqui.
Eu Tenho hum Hybi R5 Saber(1040mw x 2 channel) e hum Fiio Btr5 2021 e acabei de comprar hum Hifiman Edição Xs.
Conseguirei Obter Um bom som com ELE OU precisarei de hum Topping Mx5, Por Exemplo, JA que tenho hum par de alto-falantes passivos Do Meu antigo aiwa nsx-999mk2.
I saw that the specifications say that the Mx5 has 1600mw at 32 ohm and the Hifiman is 18 ohm, what would its power be at 18 ohm? or it doesn't matter...

H-RYCAJ

Didn't the MX3 have a sub out? I wish they kept that. There are only a few small form factor amps with digital inputs and a sub out.

Edit: Toslink input

D!sco

The MX3's sub output is less than useless. No high pass filter/low pass out. It's really for shit speakers that can't play below 100hz.

tvrgeek

Major Contributor
In reality, it looks like a solid 10W amp. Plenty for a desktop. MX5 looks like a use-case match if it is at least mid "green" for both DAC and amp. OOOH $300 on Amazon. Far cry form the rumored half that.

tvrgeek

Major Contributor
The dac is ess9018, so maybe not excellent
Agree, but talking generic desktop, not hi-end. Something to replace my old SMSL Tripath which I suspect does not have a place on the right of Amirm's chart. I have concluded the end result has more to do with the implementation than chip. Can't exceed the chip of course, but many implementations fall short. AA mid pack performer and all in one box fits my use case best. I don't want a big stack. If I did, it would be something like an Atom DAC and amp on the PS5. I am really impressed by the Atom DAC+. Same chip. Cleaner than the AKM in my Asgard and I think the quad Cyrus in the D30pro. All measure where the "experts" claim we can't hear, but the sound different. We are not measuring everything yet. I whish I knew what.

tvrgeek

Major Contributor
I wish they just added a remote for every product with speaker amp they make. ._.
An option I would ask for. Don't need a remote on a desktop, but for a small apartment all in one, yea, that would be nice. Bumps the price a bit. $20?

tvrgeek

Major Contributor
The MX3's sub output is less than useless. No high pass filter/low pass out. It's really for shit speakers that can't play below 100hz.
So many forget the high pass. You need to keep the lows out of the mains to control cone excursion, it is not really about playing low. It is playing high well. But it means a switch and another op-amp.

Technically

Hi Everyone.

I just received the Topping MX5 and i am truly amazed, the sound is very gorgeous and punchy and the tone control makes all the difference, it has driven my hifiman sundaras and the HE400se with authority and without problems, tried it with USB and with BT without any sound compromise whatsoever. I even surpasses my, twice the price, AUNE dac and amp combo ( X8 Amp + X7s Dac).
For this device to become perfect it would need an audio output, besides all the infinite inputs...

The device is very nice to use in a desktop environment

Last edited:

johnwong

If only they could put some effort into the remote control. It appears to be similar to the one for the MX3 and that remote is a piece of junk.

I like my MX3 and would probably love the MX5, but the remote ... ick!

Technically

If only they could put some effort into the remote control. It appears to be similar to the one for the MX3 and that remote is a piece of junk.

I like my MX3 and would probably love the MX5, but the remote ... ick!
The remote does its job it has all the funcions the device needs. I had seen worse quality ones.

tvrgeek

Major Contributor
Everyone is so quick to say, "but it needs" or "If they could". They can, if you want to pay for it! These are very price sensitive segments.

Talking myself out of a PS5 to use with my Asgard and replace it on my stereo with an Atom Amp. I can put the difference to the new SB woofers.

tvrgeek

Major Contributor
it has 2x35watt@8R
@ 1%, so for high fidelity, not quite so much, but some here have a real problem accepting realistic numbers even when they are excellent and well within the range for the market. Dare I say it? A good 20 or 25W amp. I look forward to a review though I have had issues with both Topping DACs I have bought.

D!sco

@ 1%, so for high fidelity, not quite so much, but some here have a real problem accepting realistic numbers even when they are excellent and well within the range for the market. Dare I say it? A good 20 or 25W amp. I look forward to a review though I have had issues with both Topping DACs I have bought.
Could you elaborate on the DAC issues? Curious what you've found.

tvrgeek

Major Contributor
OK, again.
My system was quite old. I know progress has been made, so after selling my MG, I decided to be nice to myself and do a refresh.
The first, an E30 I think, had a huge spurious noise spike and was unreliable locking on the signal. Went back.
So I got an SMSL Sanscrit. It too had stability issues. Went back
So I bought a Schiit Asgard. Rock solid. Not a slouch, but not the best of the best DAC wise though a super pre and head.
So I bought a D30Pro. A tiny better sound. Yea, it's damn good. But, I had several dropouts I could not blame on my server and I could not get the mix of drivers to cooperate. (WMP with SF ASIO plug in and Topping driver) So sent it back. I got WMP with SF ASIO to talk to my Focusrite fine. If I could have got a media player that worked like I want and good EQ bypassing the Windows stack, I would have kept it.
Next got an Atom DAC+ Rock solid. Sounds even smoother. I was fighting that lower treble "glare" Seems every piece of my "upgrade" accentuated it. Last piece was putting my old MOSFET amp back in. I am only doing -2 dB @ 3100 now for the really bad recordings. Good recordings I can play flat now.

I have a very old SMSL Tripath on my desk and the MX5 looks to be the rational one-box upgrade. I don't want some big ego-stack mess on my desk. If I did, I think the JDS Atom DAC+, L30 and PA5 would be the best of the best. Overkill for what I want. In truth, the old Tripath is all I need. Building new speakers and may do a cleaner supply.

I blame Topping for the first one, and SMSL too. I can't really blame the D30 as there are an almost infinite combination of drivers and ASIO is not the most stable. I never had a dropout before, and have not since, so that is an open question if it was a fluke of either DAC or server. ( I did find some other forum comments about dropouts after I had mine) If you could put up with JRiver or whatever, I would not hesitate to go D30pro. I would give Topping one more chance on my desk as I will never play other than 16/44.1 and I am not a big headphones listener.

johnwong

The remote does its job it has all the funcions the device needs. I had seen worse quality ones.
I have to squeeze the lower part of my remote for it to work. I've tried putting a washer or a coin under the battery cover to try to achieve the same effect but still have to squeeze it. Hence my desire for them to put a bit more effort into their remotes.

Technically

I have to squeeze the lower part of my remote for it to work. I've tried putting a washer or a coin under the battery cover to try to achieve the same effect but still have to squeeze it. Hence my desire for them to put a bit more effort into their remotes.
This Topping MX5 remote has 2 bateries of 1,5 V, maybe its an improved one :)

gr-e

Got my MX5 today. It's a nice unit, but unfortunately it has a small issue: there is a high pitch noise on the speaker output when the speakers are muted, i.e. when you are using the headphone output, when the unit is powering on/off or when you simply use the mute button on the remote. It's not too loud, but I can hear it from 1m distance in a quiet room.
The phone mic didn't pick it up very well, but you can still hear it:
Sorry for the video being out of focus. I had to tape over the infrared AF module on my phone because it stopped the topping remote from working :D

Top Bottom