• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Introducing Hang Loose Convolver from Accurate Sound

MJT

Dear @mitchcoMy DSP experience is summarized to PEQ filters generated with REW. I am new in the world of convolution. So I would like to know if HLC would be useful or not for my applications and sound chain. What I have clear for the moment is that I will have to take measurements with my UMIK and create the filters with one of these: Acourate, Audiolense, Focus Fidelity.
The functionality of being able to switch between different filters in real-time is great and very useful, but it is not my main motivation, since I have very well-defined target curves. I find it very interesting in its specifications and your comments, that it is supposed to be system-wide, so it would apply to the sound output of any program (although I imagine that maybe in Windows it needs some routing configuration).

So this would mean that when playing UHD discs, using HLC I would not be limited to having to use JRiver convolver, since HLC itself is a convolution engine? And above all, if we talk about system-wide, this would also solve any other application of the HTPC either YouTube audio, any streaming app like Netflix, Prime Video, Disney+, and any player like saying VLC or Foobar ?

In short, my intrigue is to know and understand if after designing the corrections for each channel, HLC would be the host and engine of the convolution filters and therefore the fixes would be applied to any output generated by any program within Windows OS. So I would avoid having to configure such programs individually (if they allow convolution) or having to resort to plug-ins.

OT but helpful...

For years I've successfully used my Windows HTPC as an AVR with system wide, channel independent PEQ, timing, and amplitude adjustments for in-room response, matched with REW. This is accomplished with a very small, efficient, low resource program call "Equalizer APO" available at SourceForge. This has the advantage of using a cost effective sound card with SQ that AVRs can't touch and for thousands less dollars.

If I understand correctly, the MOTU UltraLite-mk5 should be able to handle channel independent PEQ, timing, and amplitude as well.

Last edited:

thorvat

If I understand correctly, the MOTU UltraLite-mk5 should be able to handle channel independent PEQ, timing, and amplitude as well.

No timing (phase) correction, only 4 band PEQ available only on analog input channels and mix bus master faders.

Last edited:

tecnogadget

Addicted to Fun and Learning
No timing (phase) correction, only 4 band PEQ available only on analog input channels and mix bus master faders.
I think he meant using unlimited bands though the HTPC and Equalizer APO, and just use the Motu as an interface and transparent DAC output to the AVR. Meaning the Motu won’t be the brains of the system, just mere routing and dac.

tecnogadget

OT but helpful...

For years I've successfully used my Windows HTPC as an AVR with system wide, channel independent PEQ, timing, and amplitude adjustments for in-room response, matched with REW. This is accomplished with a very small, efficient, low resource program call "Equalizer APO" available at SourceForge. This has the advantage of using a cost effective sound card with SQ that AVRs can't touch and for thousands less dollars.

Shure, I’ve already used Eq APO with headphones in the past, but Acourate/Audiolense/Focus Fidelity are on another league, hence state of the art. PEQ gets you where you want to go in regards to any desired target courve, but isn’t that much effective dealing with excess phase, ringing, time alignment, etc.

Eetu

Forum Donor
Shure, I’ve already used Eq APO with headphones in the past, but Acourate/Audiolense/Focus Fidelity are on another league, hence state of the art. PEQ gets you where you want to go in regards to any desired target courve, but isn’t that much effective dealing with excess phase, ringing, time alignment, etc.
EQ APO supports convolution filters and VSTs nowadays so you can import correction files from software you mentioned or for example from rePhase.

MJT

I also do phase, time alignment and ringing adjustment with EQ APO. I primarily use acoustic room treatment and bass traps so that minimal filtering is needed, as filtering inherently accumulates group delay. I find that auto correction files tend to "over" filter creating unnecessary group delay. I configure manually and verify with REW waterfall. Manual might seem daunting for multichannel but there's truly very little adjustment needed with the treated room, at least in my case.

gabo4au

I just wanted to come here and post a big "Thank You" for Mitch and his Hang Loose product. Not only is the product awesome, but his support is excellent!

I started another thread about adding speaker environments to a DAW recording studio, that thread is here:

As I was completely successful in doing what I set out to do in that thread. I wanted an even better way to implement it because using a convolution reverb was a bit tricky. So I gave "Hang Loose" a try and it is excellent.

With "Hang Loose" I can have 6 environments at my fingertips when mixing. I use the first one with "nothing" in it. That allows me to have that set and it doesn't change my output at all. My second one is for a different "house curve" that gives a more enhanced sound that many people find "exciting" but really isn't that good for mixing. I can use it to impress clients as they typically like that. The 3rd one is from the Yamaha NS10M's that I built an IR for in the other thread.

For the 4th, 5th, and 6th settings I want to capture a few other environments. I'll shoot my car for one of them, probably a small portable speaker that I use a lot for another one, and maybe another commercial small monitor like an auratone for the other one.

I also plan on building IRs for a bunch of speakers, both commercial and ones I own. I also plan on shooting a few other studio control rooms I have access to. All this will give me an incredible array of mixing environments without ever leaving the control room!

m8o

Forum Donor
Yes, an Android "lite" version is planned, but I don't have an ETA.
Hello, wondering if you have an eta yet on an Android version?

IMO the best case would be is to see a partnership with ExtremeSD, where your proposed Convoler Lite product is integrated into USB Audio Player Pro, exactly as they did with their current DSP partner Tonebooster, but whose product does not support convolution.

OP
mitchco

mitchco

Audio Company
Hi @m80, sorry, I don't have an ETA as I am currently working on the multichannel version of HLC plus a few more features hopefully to be released by the end of this month. Thanks for the tip, I will look into it.

m8o

Forum Donor
Thanks for the tip, I will look into it.
P.s. I'm not sure if the reason why I suggested a partnership with ExtremeSD was clear tho. Please disregard if the following was obvious.

They are the defacto leader out of only a few competitors in the realm of "an Android Music Players which can detect hundreds of device's hi-rez chip, make use of it, and bypass the default 48KHz output resampling typical of the Android operating system". (Example: I am a Roon owner and user. But I will not use their client on my phone or tablet to output music as it resamples everything to 48KHz.) So my suggestion to partner with them was under a belief that if you were to partner with ExtremeSD you would not need to concern yourself with that problematic aspect of your software running on Android. And we the end-users could buy it from you and enjoy it's benefits, sooner. :)

But also no worries, I understand as you cite above you are busy with other development. No problem. I just wanted to elaborate here on why I suggested them as a partner, if it wasn't already clear.

Best regards.

mccarty350

Is there no trial to test the proof of concept. I'm trying hang loose convolver but given that I can't test convolution it's hard to plunk down the money not knowing the results. Anyone know if that will ever be in the pipe? Given that most audio software can be a crapshoot if it works with your hardware or existing convolution files, etc. etc. it's good to be able to test something end to end to even see if it will work.

DWPress

Forum Donor
@mitchco - how are things shaping up for your MC version? Holding off purchase until that is available.

Enjoy summer though! Audio nerds can wait!

Davide

Sorry for the maybe stupid question, but if I wanted to use Audiolense to generate my filters, including crossover for a 2.2 system, and then I load these filters into HLC, is the latter able to do the routing (or upmix) of the signal to the subs?
I am a bit ignorant ... in my mind I see the Convolver as a simple filter, so I doubt whether it does this...

Another thing, would it be possible to use the various HLC filters to create attenuation steps according to the equal loudness curves?
With Dirac you can do it by following this guide. Clearly the volume steps are limited to how many filter banks are available.
Or I ask the question more simply. Is there any hope of seeing the volume control according to ISO226 in HLC?

Last edited:
OP
mitchco

mitchco

Audio Company
Hi @Dlomb11 Quick answers, yes and soon.

Audiolense can output filters and .cfg files using the standard convolver .cfg file spec.
HLC also uses the .cfg file spec to host the filters. Here is an example of Audiolense and HLC being used for a 7.1.4 Atmos system.
The MCH version of HLC is currently in Beta.

Yes, I have had requests for a dithered volume control and calibrated loudness control. That's on the implementation list.

Feel free to drop me a note at [email protected]

Davide

Hi @Dlomb11 Quick answers, yes and soon.

Audiolense can output filters and .cfg files using the standard convolver .cfg file spec.
HLC also uses the .cfg file spec to host the filters. Here is an example of Audiolense and HLC being used for a 7.1.4 Atmos system.
The MCH version of HLC is currently in Beta.

Yes, I have had requests for a dithered volume control and calibrated loudness control. That's on the implementation list.

Feel free to drop me a note at [email protected]
Thank you very much for your reply.
Since you mentioned the dither... if the signal is now processed in 32-bit by HLC, then how is it sent to 24-bit soundcards?

OP
mitchco

mitchco

Audio Company
Hang Loose Convolver multichannel version 1.0.1.3 is now available for download at https://accuratesound.ca (Windows and Mac), which includes an updated Operations Guide.

New features:

HLC implements the industry standard convolver "config" file specification: http://convolver.sourceforge.net/config.html
  • input and output delays with 0.1ms resolution.
  • input and output channel weights
  • summing input channels to a single output path - typically used for crosstalk cancellation filters.
  • both absolute and relative file paths to the filters are supported.
  • If the host sample rate changes, HLC will look for a matching .cfg filter to load automatically.

Updated features:
  • AutoGain algorithm has been improved to provide better level matching between filters.
  • Instant filter switching has been improved to provide glitch free operation regardless if the filters are minimum phase, mixed phase or linear phase, including filters with added excess phase.
  • Editing of dB gain values directly for the filter gain slider and master trim control.

Hang Loose Convolver - A Listening Demonstration demonstrates how to configure Hang Loose Convolver for 2, 4, 6, and 7.1.4 channel sound. The listening demonstration provides audible examples of instantly switching level-matched FIR filters regardless if they are minimum phase, mixed phase or linear phase filters.

The listening demonstration is designed to start off easy switching between filters that clearly have audible tonal differences and progressively getting harder to hear differences when comparing filters where only timing differences are made.

The intent is to be educational in training one's ears to hear filter differences, whether frequency and/or timing response related.

Davide

summing input channels to a single output path - typically used for crosstalk cancellation filters.
Nice news!
But what software offers this feature, sorry?

Top Bottom