• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Etymotic ER2XR Review (IEM)

MKreroo

Wouldn't that mean 150 dB SPL at 20 Hz?
looking at the graph you posted, I realized that they didn't mention what frequency the 100dB SPL is based on, as it only showed the THD.
Judging from the curve, if we assume the 100dBA is @ 1kHz, I think that will be on the 100phon line, so to get the same loudness at 20Hz, it should be close to 130dB SPL?? (I too am trying to understand this whole thing)

edit:
following this and what I linked earlier, it seems that you are right, but likely not a good idea to listen at that level......
on the other hand, 150dB SPL doesn't sound possible, if the 2XR is maxed at 120dB SPL, but I see no spec about max SPL on the EVO page so......

Not exactly sure on this too so hope someone more knowledgeable will give a more definitive answer.

Last edited:
OP
Earfonia

Earfonia

Very trebly:

fr_competition_700h.png

Sorry, but have you tried EVO or your comment is based on the graphs?
If the graphs are raw measurement results and the measurement equipment compatible to IEC 711 coupler, based on my experience reading IEM FR graphs, EVO will sound more or less balanced. To me the 'Trebly' part of the FR are:
1. The peak around 4-5kHz,
2. The 7kHz dip, and
3. The 8-11kHz resonance peak.

All of the 1st and 3rd observation points are lower than the 2.7kHz midrange peak, that means the treble won't be more dominant than the midrange. The bump around 4kHz is good, close to my target, but the 7kHz dip is a bit higher than the midrange dip, looks around 3 dB higher, but still within my target. The resonance peak is way high at probably 13.5kHz / 14kHz. Looks like the insertion depth during measurement is very2 deep, probably touching the reference plane of the IEC 711 coupler which is around 12 mm away from the mic membrane.

From all those 3 observation points, I don't see that EVO will sound 'Trebly'. There will be a bit of treble sharpness from the 7kHz dip that is probably around 3dB higher than the midrange dip, but I think that is still within my acceptable treble sharpness. I prefer the 7kHz dip to be around the same level as the midrange dip.

Just for convenience, I re-posted my target curve here:

12 EITC-2021 1080p.png

13 EITC-2021 - Perceived SQ 1080p.png

OP
Earfonia

Earfonia

Do you have a recommendation for an Etymotic dealer in Singapore please, I am new to Singapore and still finding things.

I've been to most of the headphone shops in Singapore, and they are all good reputable shops. So I don't have any particular shop to recommend, I kinda know them all. I bought mine from Zeppelin & Co.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've been to most of the headphone shops in Singapore, and they are all good reputable shops. So I don't have any particular shop to recommend, I kinda know them all. I bought mine from Zeppelin & Co.
Thanks, I'll pay them a visit!

HRTF_Enthusiast

If the graphs are raw measurement results and the measurement equipment compatible to IEC 711 coupler, based on my experience reading IEM FR graphs, EVO will sound more or less balanced. To me the 'Trebly' part of the FR are:
2. The 7kHz dip, and

All of the 1st and 3rd observation points are lower than the 2.7kHz midrange peak, that means the treble won't be more dominant than the midrange. The bump around 4kHz is good, close to my target, but the 7kHz dip is a bit higher than the midrange dip, looks around 3 dB higher, but still within my target. The resonance peak is way high at probably 13.5kHz / 14kHz. Looks like the insertion depth during measurement is very2 deep, probably touching the reference plane of the IEC 711 coupler which is around 12 mm away from the mic membrane.

From all those 3 observation points, I don't see that EVO will sound 'Trebly'. There will be a bit of treble sharpness from the 7kHz dip that is probably around 3dB higher than the midrange dip, but I think that is still within my acceptable treble sharpness. I prefer the 7kHz dip to be around the same level as the midrange dip.

View attachment 178992

View attachment 178993
That measurement is from GRAS 43AG. The resonance peak looks to be at 9.5 kHz.

OP
Earfonia

Earfonia

Just found this measurement by Headphone.com, the standard fit, the blue graph, the treble looks really scary:

Etymotic_EVO2.jpg

So based on that 8kHz resonance peak insertion depth, yes it looks that it sound pretty 'trebly'.

But according to Mark Ryan the treble is a bit dark:

So quite interesting. I have to try it by myself.

Last edited:

GaryH

Major Contributor
2. The 7kHz dip, and

View attachment 178992

View attachment 178993
Sorry the reviewer incorrectly said this:
if you brought the bass up about 2dB and the treble down about 3dB, you’d have a response pretty close to that of the Harmon [sic] curve
They also incorrectly said the AKG N5005 is very close to the Harman target, so I was using its response as a proxy reference. (I wish all reviewers would just show the actual Harman target along with their measurements so readers have a standard common reference.) The N5005 actually significantly undershoots the Harman target through most of the treble:

graph-5.png

The EVO is however forward in the upper midrange / lower treble, and can have treble peaks depending on insertion depth as shown above by headphones.com's measurements.

OP
Earfonia

Earfonia

I wish all reviewers would just show the actual Harman target along with their measurements so readers have a standard common reference.

That's also a problem, because many reviewers including myself we don't use the same equipment as the one used to create Harman Target. So comparing 2 measurement from different equipment setup and calibration can seriously misleading. That's the reason I have to come up with my own target.

HRTF_Enthusiast

The EVO is the blue graph right? Doesn't seem to be any peak around that 9.5kHz, the ER3SE red graph does show peak at 9.5kHz area, not the blue graph.
A 13.5/14 kHz resonance peak is essentially impossible to achieve with that test setup and i would think it would extend much better if he actually got it that deep.

Last edited:

HRTF_Enthusiast

Sorry the reviewer incorrectly said this:

They also incorrectly said the AKG N5005 is very close to the Harman target, so I was using its response as a proxy reference. (I wish all reviewers would just show the actual Harman target along with their measurements so readers have a standard common reference.) The N5005 actually significantly undershoots the Harman target through most of the treble:

View attachment 179015

The EVO is however forward in the upper midrange / lower treble, and can have treble peaks depending on insertion depth as shown above by headphones.com's measurements.
Crinacle's Evo measurement certainly looks the smoothest out of all the one's I've seen. I'm not sure if he was using the large or medium bi-flange.

HRTF_Enthusiast

Oooppsss! :)

Could you please elaborate more what it is that makes it sounds quite bad?
The lack of high-frequency extension in this IEM significantly limits detail (1). Air frequencies are nonexistent. In addition, treble that occurs earlier sounds harsh and bright (2). I can only insert this deep enough for an 8.2 kHz resonance peak before the shell of the IEM prevents me from inserting deeper. The unsmooth treble makes the IEM quite fatiguing to listen to. The mids come across as too recessed because of the sudden drop-off after 2 kHz instead of a smooth downward slope (3). There is just no engagement. Surprisingly, the bass is not as boosted as I expected. The boost is concentrated in the sub-bass region (4), but drum hits in songs do not sound "tight." This has to do with the sub-bass masking mid-bass and lower mids as well the lack of high-frequency extension blunting transient response.
graph - 2022-01-14T222510.388.png

I compensate for diffuse-field (basically the same as Harman flat in-room) so that I can compare headphone measurements to in-room speaker frequency responses. I know differences in preferred DRP measurements between speakers and headphones were shown in S. Olive's 2013 study. Still, I do not think this is important since auditory masking levels are identical between speakers and headphones at normal drive levels.

Last edited:

HRTF_Enthusiast

One thing I forgot to mention is that when using a sine wave generator, the Evo rapidly dips and shoots back up after the resonant peak as shown in the graphs. It sounds like there are gaps in the imaging.

2M2B

Just found this measurement by Headphone.com, the standard fit, the blue graph, the treble looks really scary:

View attachment 179014

So based on that 8kHz resonance peak insertion depth, yes it looks that it sound pretty 'trebly'.

But according to Mark Ryan the treble is a bit dark:

So quite interesting. I have to try it by myself.
Sounds like a Multi BA issue depend on fit depth & tip, It will sound forward at 5 ~ 9KHz but roll off above 10KHz. Noticed this when I got a ER4XR in 2019 after giving up Multi BA IEM's from finding It hard to get a fit. Because the there using 7mm BA woofers you won't get a bass loss if the seal is not perfect, While on the ER4XR you get sudden bass loss.

The ER2XR is honestly the bee's knees, they just sound RIGHT, enough bass to satisfy you, clean and lush mids, and refined treble. Some people say it lacks air - I don't find so myself but it's nothing you can't fix since they have that tuning kit you can buy. I've been using these for the past few months and I'm having a hard time believing there are better IEMs at 2, 3 heck even 400 dollars. They're like HD 650 with BASS! honestly it's gnarly, I can't gush over them enough. If they fit you properly with the triple flange - they provide INSANE noise isolation, even better than my old Airpods Pro I find. I can't believe I just discovered etymotics up until recently. I'll go out on a limb and say they're the best value in audio PERIOD

KosherButcher

The ER2XR is honestly the bee's knees, they just sound RIGHT, enough bass to satisfy you, clean and lush mids, and refined treble. Some people say it lacks air - I don't find so myself but it's nothing you can't fix since they have that tuning kit you can buy. I've been using these for the past few months and I'm having a hard time believing there are better IEMs at 2, 3 heck even 400 dollars. They're like HD 650 with BASS! honestly it's gnarly, I can't gush over them enough. If they fit you properly with the triple flange - they provide INSANE noise isolation, even better than my old Airpods Pro I find. I can't believe I just discovered etymotics up until recently. I'll go out on a limb and say they're the best value in audio PERIOD
I agree with everything you wrote! In some ways I prefer them to my ER-4XR!

isostasy

Very much agree though after a few years of ownership I've settled on 1 EQ filter as I finally decided the mids are a touch too forward for me:

er2xr eq.png

1700Hz -3dB Q=1.4

I'd go further and say I think they actually sound better than my HD6XX. I just can't wear the Etys all the time as I actually need to hear stuff sometimes ;)

I just wish there was a triple flange size in between the small and large. I've resorted to buying the small frosted tips with long stem and cutting it down a little, but I can't find where to buy them anymore.

Top Bottom