• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

TV Series Suggestion Please

fotoalan

Expanse still worth bothering with if one has read the books?

(Or, in my case, mostly listened to as audiobooks in the car)

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I think it is one of the rare examples of a TV or movie adaptation which is both pretty faithful to, and also better than the books. The books tell a great story but aren't particularly great literature, the TV series is outstanding.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
It's animated and based on a computer game - two things that would normally turn me right off. However, it had a lot of glowing reviews, so I thought I'd give it a try.

It's excellent.

Agree with this. I play the game, but have zero interest behind the lore. In terms of animation I don't really watch anime. Considering how bad game adaptations usually are I went in expecting to hate it. But this turned out to be really good, not just as a series based on a game but simply as a series. Good story, voice acting and the animation looks absolutely fantastic.

steve59

Major Contributor
I read the first 3 books of the expanse and the 'churn' novella and found the writing less entertaining than the show, which is usually the opposite for me.

steve59

Major Contributor
I'll double down on 'the boys' if you want an adult twist on the marvel superhero movies we've been slammed with over the last 20 years. I love the way the show mocks the family oriented program with the gore and language adding capitalism to further how far fetched the 'savior' idea is.

litemotiv

I'm currently watching the early 2000s reboot of Battlestar Galactica (imdb 8.7) on Amazon Prime. It's a pretty awesome sci-fi series comparable in quality to the first few seasons of The Expanse. I can highly recommend checking it out if you have Prime. Start with the 2x 1.5 hour miniseries before watching the rest of the seasons.

BattlestarGalactica2003.jpg

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Definitely. I’ve read all the books multiple times. The series remains quite faithful to the books. I highly recommend it. I do agree with others’ observations. Last season was a little rushed; this season is very rushed reminding me of one of the poorer aspects of Game of Thrones final season.

Martin

I’d recommend the Song of Ice and Fire (Game of Thrones) books except George R. R. Martin is really dragging his feet writing the final two books. He may not finish them in my (nor his) lifetime. :facepalm:

fastfreddy666

if you're into Sci-fi the absolutely must watch is The Expanse based on the novels by James S. A. Corey. Currently in its last season.
The_Expanse_S4_mobile.png

The Man in The High Castle based on a novel by Philip K. Dick.
Foundation based on the novels by Isaac Asimov.

Fantasy? You might want to try The Wheel of Time based on the novels by Robert Jordan. If you read the novels (i did) you probably won't like it.
The reactions are mixed. The book nerds thought they changed too much. Don't set your expectations too high.

These series are all on Amazon Prime.

What about a period piece? Bridgerton is a very steamy show based on Julia Quinn's novels set in the competitive world of Regency era London's ton during the season, when debutantes are presented at court. It's Shonda Rhimes first Netflix series. NSFW.

There's of course the continuation of Sex in the City: And just like that....

The reboot of Dexter. Dexter: New Blood (Season 1 just ended on ShowTime)

I also like Nancy Drew on the CW. The only show I watch on the Network. It's a detective show (duh) with supernatural elements.

Maybe a comedy. I absolutely hate most sitcoms (i can't stand laugh tracks) and comedy shows. But there are some high quality ones.

Crazy Ex-girlfriend (the title was wrongly chosen. Forget about it). Just watch it.
The Good Place

Anti-rom com: You're the Worst.

Last edited:

audio2design

Major Contributor
Another vote for The Expanse. Quite well done and I have read all the books. I saw the final one, #10 is about to be released. Unfortunately Season 6 is only 5 episodes finishing this Friday (Jan. 14th).

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Cowboy bebop on Netflix. Based on Japanese animation using real people. An odd show. You'll either find it fun or stupid. You'll know which 20 minutes into the 1st episode. I think it's a hoot.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I also like Nancy Drew on the CW. The only show I watch on the Network. It's a detective show (duh) with supernatural elements.
Nancy Drew got a bit too 'wonky' in the last season: Every part of it has become too 'supernatural' and the series has lost its footing as a continuum from the previous seasons. << IMHO
DC's "Legends of Tomorrow", on the other hand, realized that the series was getting a bit too stale in the topic: They changed the story line also in a bit 'wonky' way but that 'wonk' for them has made it refreshingly good again. << IMHO

D

Deleted member 23424

Just abandoned The Expanse after 8 episodes. Quite simply one of the shittest shows I've ever seen.

It's literally Sunset Beach In Space. Beyond awful. Clunky writing, possibly the worst score ever recorded, cheesy clichéd casting, wooden acting, insultingly spoonfed narrative, rammed full of more American cheese than a CSI boxset and presented in the dumb cliffhanger manner of a low budget daytime soap. It's more comedy than sci-fi, but laughing at not with.

The external space shots were nice, that's literally the only nice thing I can say about it.

2/10. And that's generous.

D

Deleted member 23424

Very clear post dDOs. In the interest of balance, I presume you won't mind if I give The Expanse 12 out of ten?:D
Not at all. Like I always say with music: if you like it, it's good music. That's all that matters at the end of the day.

I didn't like it by the way, in case you're unsure.

D

Deleted member 23424

To contest the sickly saccharin of The Expanse:

Raised By Wolves
A Ridley Scott project. A cerebral slowburner that expertly treads the line between confusion and intrigue throughout. No cheap foghorn scored pan zoomed plot clues being hammered into the viewer here, it drip feeds the narrative in a way that demands your concentration and assumes your intelligence. Stunning cinematography, exceptionally gritty score and brilliantly cast. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Top Bottom