• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Review and Measurements of Schiit Modi 3 DAC

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Amir, could you please test DNR like you did in the apple pie and katana measurements?
Sure.

Here is USB:

Schiit Modi 3 DAC USB Dynamic Range Measurement.png

And S/PDIF:
Schiit Modi 3 DAC SPDIF Dynamic Range Measurement.png

bunkbail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

bunkbail

Forum Donor
Not within +-0.1 dB from 20 Hz to 20 kHz.
I think you're confused between Amir's +-0.1 dB linearity criterion with freq response. :facepalm:

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Switched form my desktop to laptop for USB measurements and the results are the same:
Schiit Modi 3 DAC Jitter laptop Measurement.png

So the source of 100 Hz square wave is internal to the DAC USB implementation. Using decrapifiers, etc. would not help then.

I am still at a loss how Schiit didn't get this in their measurements.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Major progress on USB issue.

I fed it a -90 dB signal and it reproduced stepped response which meant it was converting 24 bit samples to 16 bits! Worrying this was caused by the ASIO4ALL wrapper I am using, I tried it in Roon. At first, saw the same problem but all of a sudden, it snapped to 24 bit and it is staying there!

1538163787088.png

Going back to using ASIO4ALL, I see the problem again.

This is a rare incompatibility with ASIO4ALL. I still can't figure out how Schiit didn't see it unless they have an internal ASIO driver they don't release.

bunkbail

Forum Donor
Major progress on USB issue.

I fed it a -90 dB signal and it reproduced stepped response which meant it was converting 24 bit samples to 16 bits! Worrying this was caused by the ASIO4ALL wrapper I am using, I tried it in Roon. At first, saw the same problem but all of a sudden, it snapped to 24 bit and it is staying there!

View attachment 15989

Going back to using ASIO4ALL, I see the problem again.

This is a rare incompatibility with ASIO4ALL. I still can't figure out how Schiit didn't see it unless they have an internal ASIO driver they don't release.
I'm impressed that it actually beats Topping D50 in SINAD by 1 dB.

gvl

Major Contributor

Did you try installing their drivers? If memory serves (which it may well not) Modi Multibit drivers were a PITA to install but included an ASIO driver.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Did you try installing their drivers? If memory serves (which it may well not) Modi Multibit drivers were a PITA to install but included an ASIO driver.
They have deprecated them. Last time I tried it would not install on my machine or it installed but didn't work. I looked when I found the issue and there are no modi 3 drivers.

gvl

Major Contributor
They have deprecated them. Last time I tried it would not install on my machine or it installed but didn't work. I looked when I found the issue and there are no modi 3 drivers.

Are Modi 2/3 using the same CMEDIA chipset? If so older drivers may just work.

gvl

Major Contributor
If I'm reading it right, the wallwart isn't needed for USB only operation. Question, do SPDIF inputs still work with only a USB to computer connection (no wallwart)?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
If I'm reading it right, the wallwart isn't needed for USB only operation. Question, do SPDIF inputs still work with only a USB to computer connection (no wallwart)?
That is what they say although I did have it plugged in during USB testing:

1538166699705.png

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Are Modi 2/3 using the same CMEDIA chipset? If so older drivers may just work.
They do use CMEDIA:

1538166851596.png

As I said, I formerly tried to install them with no success in getting an ASIO interface out of them.

gvl

Major Contributor
That is what they say although I did have it plugged in during USB testing:

View attachment 15991
Gotcha and thanks. Sounds like their Wyrd may make sense for Modi 3 given it is a linear PSU and a sort of USB cleaner. Not that you should buy one, but if you have one laying around (for some strange reason I have 2!) it may have been waiting for this moment.

All in all this is great news, I no longer have to send my money to China to get a sub-$100 well measuring DAC with all sorts of inputs. Mr. Trump can retire now.

gvl

Major Contributor
They do use CMEDIA:

View attachment 15992

As I said, I formerly tried to install them with no success in getting an ASIO interface out of them.

This is a bit disconcerting btw. What about Windows 7 users? Or you mean the driver works but no ASIO?

And again, if my memory isn't playing tricks on me, the ASIO interface had some weird name, I could have never guessed it was for CMEDIA/Modi.

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This is a bit disconcerting btw. What about Windows 7 users? Or you mean the driver works but no ASIO?
No Asio. My analyzer only understands ASIO. That is how Schiit tested it too.

Top Bottom