• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF R3 Speaker Review

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Some more (excellent) new measurements of the R3

Funnily at the same time they published also some measurements of a loudspeaker that costs more than 10 times ;)

Msuix

Aw shoot, I missed the R3 sale by a few days. What are the sale seasons usually? When about would the next sale likely be?

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
Aw shoot, I missed the R3 sale by a few days. What are the sale seasons usually? When about would the next sale likely be?
This was the first time ever the R3 was on sale at least in the USA.
Might be awhile or perhaps they are coming out with an update soon and this sale was the first on many in prep.
The sound is still fantastic but the styling might be updated to the matte look of the LS50 gen 2 and then of course many suspect an R3 meta. Who knows, I have no actual inside info.

syr1990

This was the first time ever the R3 was on sale at least in the USA.
Might be awhile or perhaps they are coming out with an update soon and this sale was the first on many in prep.
The sound is still fantastic but the styling might be updated to the matte look of the LS50 gen 2 and then of course many suspect an R3 meta. Who knows, I have no actual inside info.
I spoke to a dealer recently; his sources say no update to the R series any time soon...

warthor

I see that amazon has them for $2000 which is still a little lower than retail, but not quite sale price. Furthermore accessories4less has them for $1500 which is less than the sale and still comes with a 5 year factory warranty.

Msuix

I see that amazon has them for $2000 which is still a little lower than retail, but not quite sale price. Furthermore accessories4less has them for $1500 which is less than the sale and still comes with a 5 year factory warranty.
ahh, i see that $1500 is recertified used. I don't have any experience buying used speakers, worth the gamble?

warthor

There is no gamble in my opinion. They are an authorized kef vendor. Their products come With a 5 year kef warranty (same warranty as new products). Buy with Costco Citi card for additional 2 year warranty for a total of 7 years of warranty (and no worries about your speakers). Also they have the r5 for $2000 when it’s in stock (great deal).

I’ve purchased a receiver from them, but not speakers.

JRiggs

There is no gamble in my opinion. They are an authorized kef vendor. Their products come With a 5 year kef warranty (same warranty as new products). Buy with Costco Citi card for additional 2 year warranty for a total of 7 years of warranty (and no worries about your speakers). Also they have the r5 for $2000 when it’s in stock (great deal).

I’ve purchased a receiver from them, but not speakers.
I've purchased receivers and speakers from them and would not hesitate to do it again. Every refurbished product I have purchased looks to be brand new.

dwkdnvr

ahh, i see that $1500 is recertified used. I don't have any experience buying used speakers, worth the gamble?
I purchased my R3s from A4L and they were flawless from what I can tell. I've picked up a couple receivers from them as well, and have had no problems.

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
thanks for the feedback everybody, I picked up a pair of recertified R3's! :)
Yah, I actually forgot about mentioning them. Glad others did.
I have purchased 5 or 6 pairs of speakers from accessories4less over the years with no issues at all.

laurelkurt

Forum Donor
I bought r900s recertified (or B-stock) from Kef USA direct. They came in flawless condition with full warranty plus an A-stock r600c and an open box ls50w from Crutchfield (also in perfect condition). After spending all that money kef direct gave me a VERY nice discount for my r3s and a free set of earbuds. It was my r3 that Amir tested.

JRiggs

They are not a dealer from what I heard!
Oh yeah? Where did you hear that. Straight from their website:

Accessories4less.com is proud to be the exclusive online authorized KEF outlet store in the USA! We purchase all products directly from KEF; most are in "like new" condition and all include a full factory KEF warranty. Don't mind a small belmish?...if yes, then we can save you money on all your KEF purchases! We also offer great deals on brand new closeout discontinued KEF products.

tecnogadget

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The R series and References will be updated in 2022!
Just because talking is cheap this shouldn’t been taken as a fact. He (and others) have consistently been advised over several different threads about KEF updating cycles for every speaker series.

There isn’t any evidence of R getting updated this year. But what I can tell you guys (because some dealers have disclosed it) is that at least in Europe, most brands will raise prices staring on February, “alla SVS” this past month worldwide.

BoredErica

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Just because talking is cheap this shouldn’t been taken as a fact. He (and others) have consistently been advised over several different threads about KEF updating cycles for every speaker series.

There isn’t any evidence of R getting updated this year. But what I can tell you guys (because some dealers have disclosed it) is that at least in Europe, most brands will raise prices staring on February, “alla SVS” this past month worldwide.
Yeah...
It just blows my mind that someone would post 'r3 update is coming!' with no context, no source, no further explanation.

muad

I thought kef already raised prices? The metas increased in north America a few months back.

Top Bottom