• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Motu M4 Audio Interface Review

Backflash

Philips SHP9500S

I also tried the AKG 712 Pro on the Motu M4. It also sounded so terrible, I had to sell the Headphones and stay with the Philips. I am also considering to get Sennheiser HD 800 S in the future since they are the only valid upgrade option after the AKG 712 Pro...
I got M2 and HD600, sound really great through it. I'm comfortable at 12 on the volume control, the amp is surprisingly strong for a USB. at full power it's quite loud to my taste.

Backflash

How else would you explain that I perceived to miss some acustic details and have troubles with locating footsteps?
Hm, that's odd, you sure you are not running any EQs, something like oratory or similar? Footsteps, if we are talking games, is upper-ish treble, not an amp issue then. Usually if amp is too weak lower fq suffers the most.

Vict0r

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I got M2 and HD600, sound really great through it. I'm comfortable at 12 on the volume control, the amp is surprisingly strong for a USB. at full power it's quite loud to my taste.
M4 and HD600 here and I agree. I haven't used any of my headphone amps ever since I got the M4. It's just good enough.

Atanasi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
How else would you explain that I perceived to miss some acustic details and have troubles with locating footsteps?
I don't know about your experience. When I said AKG K712 is not very sensitive, I mean that it is not among the hardest to drive but not an easy headphone either. If you want to drive it loud, you need a decent amp.

forma

Silly question, but can you dim or switch off the meters altogether on the m2/m4?

AllanDavidson

A little piece of tinted plastic film cut to size works great to tone down the display and make it fade into the background on your desk.
I do this in many thing I have.

For instance, I have a microwave with a display so bright my neighbour can see the clock and tell the time. I had tu put some tap on it to dim it.

I also do this on Modem, Router, Nobreak/UPS and Server

robertzsun

Does anyone have opinions on where to set the "Monitor" volume knob on the MOTU M4 if using an amplifier with its own gain knob afterwards? Using the MOTU as a DAC for digital filter on PC but not sure if there's any harm to audio quality when setting MOTU volume to max.

artburda

Does anyone have opinions on where to set the "Monitor" volume knob on the MOTU M4 if using an amplifier with its own gain knob afterwards? Using the MOTU as a DAC for digital filter on PC but not sure if there's any harm to audio quality when setting MOTU volume to max.
According to Amir‘s measurements on the first page, you should be fine with full line output.

robertzsun

According to Amir‘s measurements on the first page, you should be fine with full line output.
Quite curious - which graph or statement shows this? Always been confused on the gain level you should set for DACs or other upstream equipment.

artburda

When Amir says the nominal voltage output is 5.2V - is that at the max volume? Since the SINAD tests run at output = 5.2V we should expect full volume doesn’t do any distortion.
Maybe you should read the manual, page 26.
3C32BAD3-0A2E-4F7D-9AAF-635BF17EF2A9.jpeg

The manual states 16 dBu which is about 4.9 volt for the balanced line out. So Amir‘s measurements show that the actual full output is about 16.5 dBu.

robertzsun

Maybe you should read the manual, page 26.
View attachment 178569

The manual states 16 dBu which is about 4.9 volt for the balanced line out. So Amir‘s measurements show that the actual full output is about 16.5 dBu.
I read the manual but didn’t understand dBu to volts conversion. Seems like standard thing in audio to represent volts in dBu?

Top Bottom