• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping D90SE Review (Balanced DAC)

amper42

Major Contributor
Hello everyone,

I own a D90SE since a couple of weeks and I wonder if anyone have solved the problem with sound droppings via optical and coax inputs?
I use my D90SE with CD player by coax - the droppings are like every 25-30 minutes, but with 12 yo Sony tv by optical droppings are even by every 3-5 seconds to 15-30 seconds (this varies on tv channel I am watching, on some there are no droppings). This is really annoying. I am dissappointed with this gear... Any solutions so far?
I also noticed that droppings are more frequent in time. At the very beginning I haven't noticed them. There are no droppings with USB, neither the bluetooth.

Unfortunately, that's a known defect with the Topping D90SE that didn't show up in most reviews. There is no fix and it doesn't happen with all brands. If the TV/CD player optical and coax connections are your primary use for the D90SE, I would suggest returning it. There are no reports of drop outs with the USB port but if that's not your primary use it may not help you.

Last edited:

galanakop

Unfortunately, that's a known defect with the Topping D90SE that didn't show up in most reviews. There is no fix. If the TV/CD player optical and coax connections are your primary use for the D90SE, I would suggest returning it. There are no reports of drop outs with the USB port but if that's not your primary use it may not help you.
using usb / win has the same problems ???

Klotz

No, USB has no problems, but I use it mainly with optical and coax inputs. Now, after nearly 2 months, I couldn't return it... Shame I didn't know this before. To be precise: optical input has drop outs not only with a TV, but also with two other devices I connect it with.

Last edited:

glc650

Hello everyone,

I own a D90SE since a couple of weeks and I wonder if anyone have solved the problem with sound droppings via optical and coax inputs?
I use my D90SE with CD player by coax - the droppings are like every 25-30 minutes, but with 12 yo Sony tv by optical droppings are even by every 3-5 seconds to 15-30 seconds (this varies on tv channel I am watching, on some there are no droppings). This is really annoying. I am dissappointed with this gear... Any solutions so far?
I also noticed that droppings are more frequent in time. At the very beginning I haven't noticed them. There are no droppings with USB, neither the bluetooth.
I don't use my D90SE with a TV but had the same issue with my D90 and a Samsung TV from ~2010. I solved it with this HDMI audio extractor using the coax out (didn't try the optical).

I solved the sound droppings from Samsung tv by using the bluesound node between the tv and the topping dac.

and since recently the bluesound node also outputs usb, so u can now choose optical, coax or usb.
I cannot hear a difference between the 3 outputs, but haven’t really tried.

maybe a nice test to measure…….

Klotz

I don't use my D90SE with a TV but had the same issue with my D90 and a Samsung TV from ~2010. I solved it with this HDMI audio extractor using the coax out (didn't try the optical).
Well, I have a similar device: LAN - HDMI converter with optical out and that one brings the same sound drop outs problem. Coax in my D90SE is reserved for a CD player anyway.
Besides: I wanted to have a great DAC with a remote and multiple inputs as I knew I would be switching between them very often. Now adding another device and switching cables is not an option.
I think the main question is whether it is a hardware or software/firmware problem.

Last edited:

Snoopy

Major Contributor
I had strange audio dropouts with my LG OLED going via optical in my Cambridge CXN V2 , CXA81 .. but only while using a apple TV 4k.

No issue with the fire TV 4k Cube. I solved this issue with using Airplay 2 from my apple TV.

Its probably not only Topping that might have problems like that.

But I wouldn't probably notice anyway. I don't use a optical or coax connection for anything .

USB and casting is all I need.

LuckyLuke575

Forum Donor
Wow this is a world class device. Topping does it again! Really tempted to upgrade to this :D

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
After switching back and forth for a while between the two I've found ASIO sounds better.

They should sound identical.

Eddy H.

How do u know that? That would be interesting if that's the case
If you open the Topping USB audio control panel it says ASIO active (pcm mode) but if you use Wasapi it says not active.

Attachments

• 16419383005645036212320900168997.jpg
    16419383005645036212320900168997.jpg
    376.1 KB · Views: 135

Eddy H.

Does anyone know what different it makes if you change the buffer size or what the safe mode box does? I change mine to 2048 with the safe mode off and I think it's slightly better.

Top Bottom