• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sub 25K active speaker/system choice

OP
L

lherrm

By the way, Genelec lists the following room in their references for high end listening : https://www.genelec.com/high-end-listening

Press_Image1.jpg

Not much room treatment (if any, other than the carpet underneath the listening chair, maybe the drapes can be considered treatment too) as far as I can see.
Wondering how a brand like Genelec can put this as reference on their own website if the result is supposed to be so low.

Last edited:

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
The good news is that you have a decent amount of natural diffusion and absorbtion by having lots of stuff around, so from a sound perspective there's no need to put things back in the closet. :) You could consider some thick panels on the wall to the left and/or the front wall (you can get both plain ones and ones that have printed stuff so they look like paintings).

This is assuming you even have a problem in this room, which we won't know for sure before you measure it. But seeing as it's a decent amount of stuff in it and it's not very big, I suspect the acoustics isn't terrible to begin with.

An effective way to reduce the overall decay times that probably would be almost invisible, would be to cover the ceiling above the wooden cross-bar-thingys (don't know the English word for it) above the listening position.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
I would get the Genelecs:
Proven quality and reliability
Benefits of a coaxial design
Resale value
GLM
Aluminum cabinet

YSC

Major Contributor
I would get the Genelecs:
Proven quality and reliability
Benefits of a coaxial design
Resale value
GLM
Aluminum cabinet
I would do so, basically it's mainly because the coaxial, and with GLM, in OP's room it should fix most problem

CMB

Just a word for 8361 being ugly.
Actually, when I first saw and heard them in grey, I thought exactly the same. They looked to my eyes like 2 old large dusty potatoes. Hoping not to hurt anyone. I thought never in my living room.
BUT, now in white, I found them so much good looking. I love how they look.

OP
L

lherrm

Just a word for 8361 being ugly.
Actually, when I first saw and heard them in grey, I thought exactly the same. They looked to my eyes like 2 old large dusty potatoes. Hoping not to hurt anyone. I thought never in my living room.
BUT, now in white, I found them so much good looking. I love how they look.
8361A is ruled out for me because I think 8351B+W371A should be better., but thanks for you feedback.
Would you mind sharing a picture ? I like the Genelec better in white too (in pictures, never saw them in real life).

Reactions: CMB
OP
L

lherrm

The good news is that you have a decent amount of natural diffusion and absorbtion by having lots of stuff around, so from a sound perspective there's no need to put things back in the closet. :) You could consider some thick panels on the wall to the left and/or the front wall (you can get both plain ones and ones that have printed stuff so they look like paintings).

This is assuming you even have a problem in this room, which we won't know for sure before you measure it. But seeing as it's a decent amount of stuff in it and it's not very big, I suspect the acoustics isn't terrible to begin with.

An effective way to reduce the overall decay times that probably would be almost invisible, would be to cover the ceiling above the wooden cross-bar-thingys (don't know the English word for it) above the listening position.
Indeed, I'll need to measure to first even know what issues I have if any.

You mean that kind of thing ?
u00004-multifuser-wood-64-light-brown_grande.png

Above listening position, beetween the bars, it could be conveable indeed (provided it fixes something).

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Indeed, I'll need to measure to first even know what issues I have if any.

You mean that kind of thing ?
u00004-multifuser-wood-64-light-brown_grande.png

Above listening position, beetween the bars, it could be conveable indeed (provided it fixes something).

No, that's for diffusion, I was thinking absorbtion. So soft panels that have reasonably broadband absorbtion. Slightly suspended for even better effect.

Something like this (comes in many shapes and sizes):
86002-loke-b-kant-600x600x40.jpg

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor

Yes, it would probably be cost effective to determine what problems you have (if any) before starting to purchase stuff :)

TrevorD

CMB

8361A is ruled out for me because I think 8351B+W371A should be better., but thanks for you feedback.
Would you mind sharing a picture ? I like the Genelec better in white too (in pictures, never saw them in real life).
Still looking for the stands.
8351B+W371A is way more expensive.
I know W371A would make nice stands too, but I am very happy with the bass for now (needed some tweaking in GLM).
.E96CC7C0-2800-42D8-A3F7-1876CD43F4E5.jpeg

steve59

Major Contributor
at $25,000 budget I bought a pair of used 2010 gen 2 Meridian dsp 8000 and spent some time negotiating the Special Edition upgrade a 218 zone controller, roon nucleus and ipad. 6x8'' powered woofers per box can be let loose in a large room but in mine they're usually at -4. These speakers are very good, better than most passive systems without going over the top.

OP
L

lherrm

Can people here recommend some european Genelec dealers ? (or a dealer that would ship internationally)
Here are the prices I got from a french site :
1640802778955.png

(pricing is € excluding VAT and transport). Including 20% VAT it would be about 26k.
Quite expensive, I guess Covid didn't help.
There is a rebate on grand total of .... 278.26 €. Utterly ridiculous I would say ... but can I hope for better (Genelec, covid) ?
They should price match if I find a better offer though.

Edit : Thomann told me to ask for a quote later (mid-january) because their providers are closed for now (and they don't seem to care about logging/queuing a price request).

Last edited:
OP
L

lherrm

Price update, with a little effort on rebate :
1641879654709.png

Grand total is now
1641879675508.png
. Plus port & taxes.
Will be thinking hard about taking the plunge in the next days.

YSC

Major Contributor
Price update, with a little effort on rebate :
View attachment 178090
Grand total is now View attachment 178091. Plus port & taxes.
Will be thinking hard about taking the plunge in the next days.
From my impression maybe worth wait Thomann for a quote, they usually are quite a bit cheaper than others, for this price range the 1-2% difference can be quite hefty

OP
L

lherrm

From my impression maybe worth wait Thomann for a quote, they usually are quite a bit cheaper than others, for this price range the 1-2% difference can be quite hefty
Yep, I'll reask Thomann on january 13th, as they asked.

respice finem

Major Contributor
Stumbled upon this thread today. A few "loose thoughts": If the current setup sounds "underwhelming", it's probably because the room doesn't allow for better (as it usually is). While your room isn't very bad (much diffusion, including the ceiling), there's no such thing as symmetry there, from what I see. Absorption would help, but you can't put absorbers on windows, obviously, etc.
If it was my room, I would, before buing different speakers, try to get the stereo triangle regular (a=b=c) and as small as possible - this may end with better sound and not even needing new speakers. The bigger the triangle, the louder the speakers must play to achieve the volume needed at the listening place, and thus the more energy is reflected from everything in the room.

Worth Davis

Forum Donor
I’ve had the kii in room and they are best out of the box, don’t need the bxt imo. You can buy a prebuilt set of lx521 which just means they look wild but not complicated. I would spend some money seal those openings with doors. I currently own the lx521 and some subs. I have a good room, treated with dirac or Audiolense depending on the day. Genelec look terrible.

YSC

Major Contributor
Stumbled upon this thread today. A few "loose thoughts": If the current setup sounds "underwhelming", it's probably because the room doesn't allow for better (as it usually is). While your room isn't very bad (much diffusion, including the ceiling), there's no such thing as symmetry there, from what I see. Absorption would help, but you can't put absorbers on windows, obviously, etc.
If it was my room, I would, before buing different speakers, try to get the stereo triangle regular (a=b=c) and as small as possible - this may end with better sound and not even needing new speakers. The bigger the triangle, the louder the speakers must play to achieve the volume needed at the listening place, and thus the more energy is reflected from everything in the room.
I think not everyone wanted to move around the furniture or put absorbers in places where the lord of the house (you know who) have the decision. in such case the GLM likely is the better solution though

CMB

I’ve had the kii in room and they are best out of the box, don’t need the bxt imo. You can buy a prebuilt set of lx521 which just means they look wild but not complicated. I would spend some money seal those openings with doors. I currently own the lx521 and some subs. I have a good room, treated with dirac or Audiolense depending on the day. Genelec look terrible.
The white ones 8361 just look beautiful (not a fan of the grey version for my living room). Depends on your taste and your interior.
In my living room, in front of an orange wall they just look astonishing good (to me). I am still impressed every time how good they look actually.
So much for taste and colors…

Top Bottom