• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Speaker amp for KEF Q100's in near-field 2.0 computer setup

Bitoshi

Hopefully I'm posting this in the right forum. I want to get some advice on my computer audio setup.

My previous setup was this:

computer optical out -> Sony UDA-1 -> KEF Q100 speakers
computer optical out -> Sony UDA-1 -> Sennheiser HD 6XX

But I recently sold the Sony UDA-1 for a JDS stack (still within my return window), so now it looks like this:

nothing -> KEF Q100
computer USB out -> JDS dac+ -> JDS atom+ -> Sennheiser HD 6XX

I can no longer power my Q100 speakers anymore, so I was hoping someone could give me advice on what speaker amp I should get. I'll mainly use the speakers for music and gaming.

The Q100's are in a small room (9 ft x 11 ft) and I have them placed on some yoga blocks on my computer desk. They are spaced ~3 feet apart, ~2.5 feet from each ear, and ~ 6 inches from the wall. I don't play music very loud so I don't need too much power.

I was thinking of getting a power amp and connecting it to the RCA preamp outputs on my JDS atom+. Since I'm in Canada my options are somewhat limited, but I could get an Aiyima A07 from aliexpress for ~$106 CAD, Topping PA3S from Amazon for ~$199 CAD, or a Sabaj A10a from Hifi-express for ~$180 CAD.

I can also get a Yamaha RS-202 for $279 CAD or the A-S301 for $549 CAD. I'm not sure if it's worth spending the extra for either or these and I don't like how much desk space they take up.

Alternative options:

I could return the JDS stack and get an all in one unit for my speakers and headphones
, but I don't want to sacrifice headphone audio quality compared to the JDS stack and I don't want to spend more the ~$500 CAD.

I could sell my Q100's and get active monitors instead. This would simplify my desktop system and save desk space. I like the KRK rockit G4's ($239 CAD each) since Amir mentioned in his review that they don't make a noticeable hissing noise like the JBL 305P's. I've also considered the Kali LP-6 for $229 CAD each and Adam T5V for $299 CAD each.

What would you do in my situation?

If you need any more information or clarification on anything let me know.

So far I'm learning towards getting the Topping PA3S since it's reasonably priced, has good reviews, and comes from Amazon so I could easily return it if I don't like it.

dc655321

Major Contributor
The Topping seems like nice kit.
I have an A07 on my desk used with Kef Q150 speakers. Sounds great to me.

OP
B

Bitoshi

The Topping seems like nice kit.
I have an A07 on my desk used with Kef Q150 speakers. Sounds great to me.

That's good to hear. What power supply are you using for the A07?

dc655321

Major Contributor
That's good to hear. What power supply are you using for the A07?

Whatever came with it? :D
I think it's the 32 V, 5 A PSU.
Can't get to my desk to check now - my cat is out cold on my lap!

With my umik mic and REW, I was measuring over 100 dB peaks at my chair. Plenty of power for my use.

OP
B

Bitoshi

Whatever came with it? :D
I think it's the 32 V, 5 A PSU.
Can't get to my desk to check now - my cat is out cold on my lap!

With my umik mic and REW, I was measuring over 100 dB peaks at my chair. Plenty of power for my use.

Wow 100 dB, that seems pretty amazing considering how small it is. That would definitely be powerful enough for my setup.

And that's ok no need to check the PSU, I was just wondering if you were using something other than the stock one. I heard some people mention that A07 can sound different depending on the power supply.

dc655321

Major Contributor
Wow 100 dB, that seems pretty amazing considering how small it is. That would definitely be powerful enough for my setup.

And that's ok no need to check the PSU, I was just wondering if you were using something other than the stock one. I heard some people mention that A07 can sound different depending on the power supply.

Well, even 1 Watt would produce around 85 dB at 1m. 10 W would be 95 dB.

Yes, too loud! But fun in small doses.

Top Bottom