• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Anthem AVM70 Review (AV Processor)

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I just look at the Monolith and Anthem's measurements again and could see Anthem's better, especially in the linearity test. The only thing I wish Anthem would do better is the owner's manual. To me, there's too little details, but I guess for many, it probably has enough or too much.

Newman

Major Contributor
The only thing I wish Anthem would do better is the owner's manual. To me, there's too little details, but I guess for many, it probably has enough or too much.
Yes, I wish they were active on a forum (or had one on their site), so they could provide some more advanced information.

tvrgeek

Major Contributor
Good luck trying to get customer service, they used to be much better before the pandemic!
Bummer. But staffing is really hurting everyone. I hope it is just that, not a change in policy. Times past, they were very responsive. I have an old MXR310 I am in no hurry to give up. Performance for my HT is fine. It would not cut it as my music system. I much prefer ARC EQ so switching to Denon is a no-go.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My last question to CS was answered in and hour and 20 minutes, really good, even prior pandemic.

I guess sometimes it depends a little on luck, such as who picked up the call, email, mood etc.. A few years ago (so lots could have changed), I asked a simple question, really just to clarify some information on their data sheet of my MCA power amp and the rep did not answer my question with a straight answered. So I emailed him/or her a second time and got the response that he/she would get back to me, but never did. I gave up... I really hope the AVM 70 would work out well in terms of long term bug free operation, FW support and reliability because from my own extensive research on available information the AVM 70 should be the one I am going to get for my next "upgrade".

It would be a tough decision for me when the time come because for a C$5,000 (tax, shipping all in) investment on such a sophisticated device from a small manufacturer, I am just not comfortable that they have the kind of resource that the big boys (D+M, Y) have to support the product in case I run into trouble. No concerns with their power amps, just AVPs. I am only including the AVM 70 in my short list because of the positive feedback from you.

tparm

Forum Donor
It would be a tough decision for me when the time come because for a C$5,000 (tax, shipping all in) investment on such a sophisticated device from a small manufacturer, I am just not comfortable that they have the kind of resource that the big boys (D+M, Y) have to support the product in case I run into trouble. No concerns with their power amps, just AVPs. I am only including the AVM 70 in my short list because of the positive feedback from you.
Hey @peng As we ask (we being a general statement) more of these boxes the more problematic they seem to be. Aside from ARC Genesis being picky about the network connection (I have 1 gb fiber but use an Ethernet splitter at my rack, Genesis won't run unless I unhook the splitter and go straight to the AVM, I guess it takes serious bandwidth) my unit performs as expected and I have no complaints. The learning curve with ARC took some time basically because it was way more intuitive than I made it out to be. Also, I always check the unit display set up menu after making changes with the WebUI to cross-check my adjustments, but that is probably more me than AVM itself. Mine seems to save the changes I make without issue and my rack is slightly in front of my seating position on the side all so I can see the screen clearly, why not check.

The ARC flexibility, UI, analog path, and sound quality (while not science-based, the use of front wide and Atmos channels, Atmos mixes, etc) are as good or better then anything I have owned (NAD T758.3, AV7703, AVR850, A110, RMC-1L). Only one I think I maybe should have kept was the A110....

The new Yamaha Aventage receivers are appealing as you know they add PEQ and bass-only correction, balanced analog inputs and onboard amplification for effects channels at what seems to be a good price point (these days anyway). I've not owned Yamaha product but as you mentioned they are a huge company, its cool they are in the musical instrument business (the last drums I owed were Yamaha Maple Customs, years ago) from what I can tell are built like tanks. If and when they release new processor it will certainly be on my list, if I don't consider one of their receivers in the meantime.

Also, I wanted to update you as you've been a help on the amplification front, I think Dylan at Buckeye is making me an 8CH 252 based amp and a 4CH 502 amp for my LCR channels. I'll see how I like the sound versus my Parasound which has served me well up to this point. I know I am in the minority, but I couldn't get on the same page at Warren at VTV, he probably became weary of my education requirement prior to making my mind up....

Newman

Major Contributor
Yamaha Aventage receivers are appealing as you know they add PEQ and bass-only correction
Hi, did you mention those particular things because ARC lacks them?

I am very interested in AVM70 but a bit curious about what ARC lacks. It is easier to read and find what it does, than what it doesn’t.

Cheers

tparm

Forum Donor
Hi, did you mention those particular things because ARC lacks them?

I am very interested in AVM70 but a bit curious about what ARC lacks. It is easier to read and find what it does, than what it doesn’t.

Cheers
Hey Newman, well sort of... Of course with ARC you can limit the correction frequency response by channel, but from what I can tell the Yamaha low-frequency only correction is pretty cool. It isn't just a curtain but a different process. I don't own the Yamaha (I own an AVM 70) so that's about all I can speak to (quick glance at owners manual and of course I can't find it quickly).

I find ARC easy to use once I familiarized myself with its capabilities. The only promised items not yet delivered are auto phase and polarity for subs. This isn't a big deal to me as I use the app with my SVS subs with the ARC Quick Measure feature to adjust these settings prior to taking measurements but I understand for some people those would be useful tools.

I guess the biggest complaint I've heard is there is no built-in PEQ. Anthem provides ARC Genesis and the option to adjust things such as room gain, overall target, correction curtains, etc. but there isn't specific PEQ allowing you to fine tune the results or use in lieu of ARC altogether. I had PEQ on my Emotiva RMC-1L and liked it, in some ways more than Dirac or at least their implantation of it. My room is treated and speaker/sub placement determined all by using REW so it's good on its own, but ARC for multichannel cohesion is an improvement. I'll get blasted again for saying this out loud here, but I prefer 2CH playback without ARC engaged. I have a very sharp (short from a Q perspective) 6 dB dip at 51Hz and somewhat significant room gain from 31-37Hz in 2CH, but I live with it. If anything the room gain is sort of a natural bass boost for music that doesn't bother me. For my uses ARC is fine, could it be better? That's why we all spend money and hours chasing the dragon, right?!

If I didn't answer the question well enough shoot me a message and I'll try my best to assist.

EDIT: YPAO Low Frequency Mode; This time, a new mode has been added that specializes in the low frequency band, analyzes acoustic characteristics on multiple different time axes, identifies and optimizes the reverberation bass range (standing wave), and improves visibility. Marketing hyperbole? It's especially nice that it improves visibility. :cool:

EDIT 2: ARC Genesis doesn't downsample hi-res music files for those that care. Most others, I believe Dirac and YPAO included, downsample to 48kHz.

Last edited:

Newman

Major Contributor
Hey Newman, well sort of... Of course with ARC you can limit the correction frequency response by channel, but from what I can tell the Yamaha low-frequency only correction is pretty cool. It isn't just a curtain but a different process. I don't own the Yamaha (I own an AVM 70) so that's about all I can speak to (quick glance at owners manual and of course I can't find it quickly).

I find ARC easy to use once I familiarized myself with its capabilities. The only promised items not yet delivered are auto phase and polarity for subs. This isn't a big deal to me as I use the app with my SVS subs with the ARC Quick Measure feature to adjust these settings prior to taking measurements but I understand for some people those would be useful tools.

I guess the biggest complaint I've heard is there is no built-in PEQ. Anthem provides ARC Genesis and the option to adjust things such as room gain, overall target, correction curtains, etc. but there isn't specific PEQ allowing you to fine tune the results or use in lieu of ARC altogether. I had PEQ on my Emotiva RMC-1L and liked it, in some ways more than Dirac or at least their implantation of it. My room is treated and speaker/sub placement determined all by using REW so it's good on its own, but ARC for multichannel cohesion is an improvement. I'll get blasted again for saying this out loud here, but I prefer 2CH playback without ARC engaged. I have a very sharp (short from a Q perspective) 6 dB dip at 51Hz and somewhat significant room gain from 31-37Hz in 2CH, but I live with it. If anything the room gain is sort of a natural bass boost for music that doesn't bother me. For my uses ARC is fine, could it be better? That's why we all spend money and hours chasing the dragon, right?!

If I didn't answer the question well enough shoot me a message and I'll try my best to assist.

EDIT: YPAO Low Frequency Mode; This time, a new mode has been added that specializes in the low frequency band, analyzes acoustic characteristics on multiple different time axes, identifies and optimizes the reverberation bass range (standing wave), and improves visibility. Marketing hyperbole? It's especially nice that it improves visibility. :cool:

EDIT 2: ARC Genesis doesn't downsample hi-res music files for those that care. Most others, I believe Dirac and YPAO included, downsample to 48kHz.

Thanks, that's very helpful.

with ARC you can limit the correction frequency response by channel
I do want to be able to turn off ARC above a certain frequency -- is that what you mean here? (At first I thought you meant limit the number of dB correction...BTW can it do that?)

the biggest complaint I've heard is there is no built-in PEQ
OK good to know. My Yam V3900, which this would replace, *does* have PEQ, but the centre frequencies jump in third-octave steps. I find it too limiting.

In its day the Yam was exceptional because it allowed one to auto-EQ and then add PEQ to that, or edit the auto-EQ settings. Other brands tended to be either/or: if you do auto-EQ then try to add a PEQ, they wipe the auto EQ back to zero. Don't know if that is still the case.

Anthem provides ARC Genesis and the option to adjust things such as room gain, overall target,
Do you think the overall; target can be tweaked in fine enough detail to -- at least partly -- proxy for a PEQ fine-tune? eg if I find the auto EQ provided too much boost in a null region in the bass, could the target curve be tweaked to leave the null alone? By following the 'shape' of the unequalised null in the FR?

IMO it would be a bit of an issue if I can't mitigate what I see as over-equalising by ARC.

cheers

tparm

Forum Donor
I do want to be able to turn off ARC above a certain frequency -- is that what you mean here? (At first I thought you meant limit the number of dB correction...BTW can it do that?)
You can both. Well, you can limit to dB target for correction. IOW, I have a few dB dips in my uncorrected curves, in order for ARC to not boost the channel more than a dB or two I lowered the target form 75dB to 71dB.

In its day the Yam was exceptional because it allowed one to auto-EQ and then add PEQ to that, or edit the auto-EQ settings. Other brands tended to be either/or: if you do auto-EQ then try to add a PEQ, they wipe the auto EQ back to zero. Don't know if that is still the case.
That was the case with my RMC-1L. From what I've been told you can do both (have both active) with the HTP-1 but I can not confirm that. The Yamaha's allow you to use both or either/or (once again, my understanding, please confirm with someone that has used or knows he product).
Do you think the overall; target can be tweaked in fine enough detail to -- at least partly -- proxy for a PEQ fine-tune? eg if I find the auto EQ provided too much boost in a null region in the bass, could the target curve be tweaked to leave the null alone? By following the 'shape' of the unequalised null in the FR?
I think I basically answered this above? I wish I was home and could send you screenshots of what is adjustable, you can likely find it on a ARC Genesis thread on AVS and I'll to do so later tonight but it may be tomorrow until I am able.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I guess the biggest complaint I've heard is there is no built-in PEQ. Anthem provides ARC Genesis and the option to adjust things such as room gain, overall target, correction curtains, etc. but there isn't specific PEQ allowing you to fine tune the results or use in lieu of ARC altogether.

If there is no built-in PEQ then how do you adjust the target curves? To me, if you can make adjustment to the target curve at multiple frequency points, then there has to be PEQ "built-in". Anthem ARC uses IIR filters so they certainly use (or can use) PEQ filters to do those things. Or you mean the ability to adjust the target curves is too limited for "fine tuning", if so can you give an example?

tparm

Forum Donor
If there is no built-in PEQ then how do you adjust the target curves? To me, if you can make adjustment to the target curve at multiple frequency points, then there has to be PEQ "built-in". Anthem ARC uses IIR filters so they certainly use (or can use) PEQ filters to do those things. Or you mean the ability to adjust the target curves is too limited for "fine tuning", if so can you give an example?
I think screen-shots would be best which I'll do when I can. These images are borrowed from another ASR thread just to simply illustrate the adjustments that are possible. These don't reflect anything within my system. @peng So you can not adjust specific points along the frequency response if that is what you are asking.

I toyed around with replacing the Anthem and really I have no idea why. It provides everything I need; a pure analog path, very powerful, flexible, and easy to use room correction, incredibly good enveloping sound for surround formats, ARC doesn't down-sample to 48kHz, webUI and is super quiet.

PS I have a Parasound Halo A52+ amp listed in the classifieds if anyone is interested.

Attachments

• ARC Genesis Curve Viewer.jpg
    ARC Genesis Curve Viewer.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 135
  • ARC Genesis Pro Mod Panel 2.jpg
    ARC Genesis Pro Mod Panel 2.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:
D

Deleted member 43441

This could be the one, looks beautiful and the price is right, and performs very decent.

Any owners here?

How does it’s room correction compared to Audyssey XT 32?

Any dislikes?

Thanks

Top Bottom