• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

T1L3N

I'm searching for DAC/Headphone AMP combo which would have:

1. Multiple source inputs - 3x digital inputs. (USB, TOS and COAX in)
2. 1x digital out to adapt to AES Active Monitors (Genelec)
3. Headphone AMP - Single-ended analog output.
4. Optional: Balance XLR out

The idea behind it is to have one simple system to control my audio setup. From desktop pc, laptop and streamer/gaming console to Active Monitors(Digital)/Headphones.

So far I found:
Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus has it all but it's older model and it's quite hard to find. Plus, I'm not sure how good of a value it is.
Soncoz QXA1 and QXD1 Stack could be good alternative, but I would prefer to have one box over stack if possible.

It's very simple to connect one device but switching between multiple sources complicates everything. And to have one device to do it all seems impossible.

is there anything else that I'm missing?

Looking for suggestions and ideas.

Thanks,
T.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Read about Tooping EX5 (review, opinions). The IR from remote is narrow, BT receiver only and it does not have the optical out (to my better knowledge).
The Creative Sound BlasterX G6 is small and easy to cary. The Creative drivers aren't exactly something to wish for, some functionality is dependent on OS - drivers. It has 3.5 mm analog/digital IO but you can only use one at the time (input and output either digital or analog). Has a Dolby digital decoder (compressed only over optical input), ADC (basic not really good performing one) and DSP. Obviously it doesn't have either balanced or remote.
Please read reviews first carefully!

OP
T

T1L3N

Read about Tooping EX5 (review, opinions). The IR from remote is narrow, BT receiver only and it does not have the optical out (to my better knowledge).
The Creative Sound BlasterX G6 is small and easy to cary. The Creative drivers aren't exactly something to wish for, some functionality is dependent on OS - drivers. It has 3.5 mm analog/digital IO but you can only use one at the time (input and output either digital or analog). Has a Dolby digital decoder (compressed only over optical input), ADC (basic not really good performing one) and DSP. Obviously it doesn't have either balanced or remote.
Please read reviews first carefully!
Thank you!

Both are great devices but they are not offering what I would like to have.
Remote is a plus but I will use it on a desk/studio so I can live without.

I have three digital sources which I want to connect to DAC/AMP to drive my headphones (HD 660s) and Genelec SAM monitors via AES (digitally). And to be able to easily switch in between.

My goal is to simplify desk setup and to make it dead simple. I hope it makes some sense.

Plcamp

Addicted to Fun and Learning
When a DAC does provide a digital out, is there a significant delay involved between digital in and out?

Top Bottom