• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL HDI-3800 Floorstanding Speaker Review

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
last update but FWIW, this is the comparison of the old EIR vs the new EIR.
Black = old
Red = updated

View attachment 124175
Excellent! This answers my earlier question on “why get a floorstander instead of the bookshelf version”

nick-v

I love the performance of my HDI-3800 system. I find them to be an excellent compromise between home theater and music, a good all around speaker for a multi-use media room (TV/Gaming/Movies/Music) which is how my demo system is set up (I'm a JBL Synthesis Dealer).

I was shocked to see the original low frequency measurements as they didn't align at all with what I've been hearing and measuring (in-room) in my system. They measure flat to 20Hz in my room. The revised measurements make a lot more sense.

IMG-0730.jpg

I've been using a Denon AVR-X3700 with an ATI AT523NC to drive the front L/C/R, although I'm switching this demo room over to a full "Synthesis Certified" room which requires all Synthesis Electronics & Speakers. Soon I'll be swapping in an SDR-35 AVR, two pairs of SCL-8 in-ceiling overheads, a pair of HDI-1200P subwoofers, and an SDA-2200 amplifier to power the HDI-3800s. Should be fun!

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I'm switching this demo room over to a full "Synthesis Certified" room
Ouch, that's going to cost a pretty penny but probably the right move for a Synthesis dealer.
I'm in love with my system using 4 3600's and the 4500 center, it too provided awesome low bass
response without the subs. Looking at soon replacing my ceiling Atmos speakers with some JBL's
but time will tell. ;)
Good luck

nick-v

Ouch, that's going to cost a pretty penny but probably the right move for a Synthesis dealer.
I'm in love with my system using 4 3600's and the 4500 center, it too provided awesome low bass
response without the subs. Looking at soon replacing my ceiling Atmos speakers with some JBL's
but time will tell. ;)
Good luck
They definitely like you to make an investment in the brand. I'm switching from just carrying the HDI line to carrying the entire Synthesis line, and you must be able to demonstrate an entire Synthesis Certified system in order to become a full-line dealer.

I'll also eventually switch the current Surround L/R HDI-1600 speakers over to two pairs of the new SCL-7 (going to 7.2.4) to demonstrate a decent mix of the in-room and custom install speakers.

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
this subwoofer is more eye candy (and expensive one at US$3k/each) than a serious performer.
They are quite pricey but they'd be very handsome in my system with the matching walnut cabinetry.
I just don't see myself trading in my 2 SVS SB2000's any time soon though. :)

nick-v

Audioholics just did a review of this subwoofer:

overall: this subwoofer is more eye candy (and expensive one at US$3k/each) than a serious performer.
I'm fully aware. All things being equal, I might have preferred to use a pair of Rythmiks or JLs and keeping the ATI Hypex amp in that system over the Synthesis, but I'm falling in line for the sake of my business.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I'm fully aware. All things being equal, I might have preferred to use a pair of Rythmiks or JLs and keeping the ATI Hypex amp in that system over the Synthesis, but I'm falling in line for the sake of my business.
That's fine, it's still an excellent subwoofer with top shelf build quality and high end furniture finishes.
These build points come with a price-tag..

nick-v

The demo room is pretty small, so I'm not too worried about the system's overall performance. In a medium to large room, I may have some legitimate concerns.

nick-v

... I hope you can still test one of the drivers - I bet it's not that great a performer. Doesn't look like there's a shorting ring for one. I am betting they kept this a 2.5 way for maximum output despite so-so drivers, and going by subjective evaluation that part seems to have worked. Interesting how neither the midwoofer nor the tweeter seem to be particularly happy around crossover yet it doesn't seem to have been blatantly obvious.
FYI, not correct.

Edit: For context, the below is from JBL HDI Series product training
1635193881278.png

Last edited:

Bent Wookiee

I noticed today that JBL moved the HDI series from their Synthesis page to a new "Specialty Audio" section on the primary domain. Nothing really noteworthy there, but what was noteworthy was that the Studio 6 lineup is on that page as well (https://www.jbl.com/studio6-series/). Not seeing them available anywhere domestically yet but hopefully this indicates that they will soon be available.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I noticed today that JBL moved the HDI series from their Synthesis page to a new "Specialty Audio" section on the primary domain. Nothing really noteworthy there, but what was noteworthy was that the Studio 6 lineup is on that page as well (https://www.jbl.com/studio6-series/). Not seeing them available anywhere domestically yet but hopefully this indicates that they will soon be available.

JBL consumer brands and their various websites have needed some organization for a while, hopefully they're finally doing that....

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
JBL consumer brands and their various websites have needed some organization for a while, hopefully they're finally doing that....
These are the loudspeakers they offer at their German website :facepalm::facepalm:

1640079633569.png

I have long given up hope with Harman in Europe, which is a big shame as I would really like them to see their better JBL, Revel and Infinity products being widely offered here...

SMOKEYoriginal

Hello, you said they dont have a fidelity. What speakers would you recommend that got a fidelity in similiar price range? Im a newbie when it comes to such things. I got only headphones Senheisser HD800s which Im very satisfied with but besides this I have no experience in audio. So maybe for me as a person who has not much experience in such things these speakers would do great? (im looking to get some speakers clearly for music only. it would be mostly vocals and orchestral music with musical instruments like guitar, violin)

Last edited:

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello, you said they dont have a fidelity. What speakers would you recommend that got a fidelity in similiar price range? Im a newbie when it comes to such things. I got only headphones Senheisser HD800s which Im very satisfied with but besides this I have no experience in audio. So maybe for me as a person who has not much experience in such things these speakers would do great? (im looking to get some speakers clearly for music only. it would be mostly vocals and orchestral music with musical instruments like guitar, violin)
Revel Performa F208 and Focal Aria 948 are a couple great speakers that are positioned in a similar market space. I have 948s and the undistorted bass is really nice for cello and organ. A powerful amp will compliment them well. I am running Hypex NC500MP. The 948s were fine with normal.and even fairly weak amps before I upgraded.

Top Bottom