• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Wine thread - what are you enjoying?

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
You’re gonna have to expand on this :D
1993 Overnoy Pupillon. This was, at the time (a couple decades ago) a completely obscure wine. Joe had 45 cases of it, wanted people to give it a try, I was a moderately known internet wine writer, so when a friend of ours came out to visit us (we were living in the SF Bay area at the time), Joe sent along a bottle.

Oh my god, it was the vilest thing I ever tasted. It was so bad that the owner of the restaurant we used to meet at took one sniff and frantically waved to the sommelier; "You MUST try this!" The six of us at the table and those two agreed that vomit would have been an improvement. So of course, I wrote and published a tasting note. The note was so negative, so over the top, and so devastatingly gross that it became a sensation on its own. To this day, 20 years later, when people talk about the best tasting notes ever published, this one still comes up.

Of course, the wine was sold out in about a day. Joe was furious. "Hey, you sold it all thanks to my note, why be mad at ME?" And these days, that wine is a cult item.

TulseLuper

Forum Donor
Ha! That's great. I imagine Joe's shitlist was dynamic and no chance he could be mad for long with the life that wine has had. We had a *1* bottle allocation of that wine at my restaurant a few years ago. Not even a decade before that it was BTG in Brooklyn wine bars...

Reactions: SIY

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
We had a *1* bottle allocation of that wine at my restaurant a few years ago.
One bottle is more than enough.

Some of the back and forth in the commentary to that tasting note was classic.
"You don't understand that wine."
"I understand that wine sucks."
"It's a wine that's close to the earth."
"Close in the same sense as a skunk that's been flattened by an 18 wheeler."

And now you know... the rest of the story. I created a cult. :cool:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Sipping a bottle of Bolla Valpolicella Classico.
16840-1_1619088920.png

Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Well I'm into Bolla Valpolicella Classic again plus some Sambuca and a zesty pilsner beer. :D

raif71

Major Contributor
I used to use wine and winetricks a lot previously in my linux system to run windows app especially microsoft office but linux nowadays have more apps and Libreoffice is okay (not perfect), I've had not used wine for quite sometime. :)

TulseLuper

Forum Donor
From a couple nights ago. 2017 Arco Iris from Hiyu: really lovely after the natty funk fades. And Alfer Holle 2020 is upsettingly good.

Attachments

• F48ED7E9-5C37-45B9-916B-C428162A7147.jpeg
    F48ED7E9-5C37-45B9-916B-C428162A7147.jpeg
    92.9 KB · Views: 56
Reactions: SIY

Linus

In France, they call Malbec "Cot." Those Frenchies have a different word for everything.
It’s actually a regional thing. Côt in the Loire, Côt or Auxerrois* in Cahors and Malbec everywhere else.
I’ve heard younger wine makers in Cahors call it Malbec more often than not. In the Loire though, it’s pretty much always Côt.

*not the same as Auxerrois (blanc) in Alsace

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
It’s actually a regional thing. Côt in the Loire, Côt or Auxerrois* in Cahors and Malbec everywhere else.
I’ve heard younger wine makers in Cahors call it Malbec more often than not. In the Loire though, it’s pretty much always Côt.

*not the same as Auxerrois (blanc) in Alsace
I'm one of those old fashioned guys who always thinks of Cahors first when that variety is mentioned. :cool:

Last night chez nous, we tried the 2019 Forge "Wagner Caywood East." It was absolutely and totally shut down. We'll wait at least another year before trying again.

Linus

I'm one of those old fashioned guys who always thinks of Cahors first when that variety is mentioned. :cool:

Last night chez nous, we tried the 2019 Forge "Wagner Caywood East." It was absolutely and totally shut down. We'll wait at least another year before trying again.

You don’t think about Bordeaux !? ;)

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
You don’t think about Bordeaux !? ;)
Not a big fan. The better ones have gotten ridiculously expensive, and the lesser ones are industrial. For me, they're also not as food-versatile as things like Loires or Beaujolais or Northern Rhone. I don't eat lamb, which is the classic accompaniment, so that's another reason that I might have possibly only 4 or 5 bottles of Bordeaux on the rack, and two or three California Cabernet Sauvignon.

Tonight we're drinking Gamay from a friend of ours in California (Steve Edmunds).

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I've switched over from Valpolicella earlier this day to a Jackson Triggs cabernet-merlot. Not sure what I think yet but valpolecella is my fav go to red dry and has been for about 40 years so this cabernet-merlot has big shoes to fill.
JsakjPhvTeqf9GsfxXZLBQ.jpg

Top Bottom