• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Do not choose speakers by reading reviews

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goodman

Rather than reading reviews ; Find out who designed the speakers and under what conditions.

charleski

Major Contributor
I suppose it might be helpful to know if the designers used an anechoic chamber/ Klippel or if they just tweaked it 'by ear' and so ended up with a mess.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
John Bau designed a speaker. He was trying to replace LS3/5a speakers. Do I want it or not? Do you want it or not?

He designed another speaker. He was making it for domestic living room systems. Do I or you want it or not?

Last edited:

Vict0r

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I don't know the people that design the speakers and frankly, I don't care as long as the speakers measure well. :p Unless you mean "child labor" when you say "under what conditions", but I don't think Genelec has a bunch of sweat shops full of kids & Klippels.

Vict0r

Addicted to Fun and Learning
OP
G

Goodman

Genelec's people work in a really nice place in front of a lake. Do you mean this kind of conditions?
By what conditions, I mean what market conditions or corporate decisions, rather then their own criteria. I am sure Genelec must be great but they are designed for small studio mixing rooms. In other words, headphones at a near distance.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
By what conditions, I mean what market conditions or corporate decisions, rather then their own criteria. I am sure Genelec must be great but they are designed for small studio mixing rooms. In other words, headphones at a near distance.
How do we find this out then? Please don't say the company's website /press release /hifi press.

ahofer

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Genelecs are designed for headphone listening? This is getting more interesting. :)

btw, Genelec publishes a table of optimal listening distances for each speaker, so I wouldn't generalize.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

You're kidding, right?

Would make an 800lb headphone...

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
So if designed for any particular price point or a particular country's audio market, this relates how particularly to what you're looking for? Where's this master reference of what the designers were asked to work with?

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom