• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Looking for a <€150 headphone with 3.5mm connection at the cups

Koeitje

Major Contributor
I'm looking for an open-back headphone that I can use with my V-Moda BoomPro microphone, which I use with my Xbox. I have some closed back headphones but I don't really like to use those as headsets. So I'm looking for something new.

The headphones got tick the following boxes:
  • 3.5mm connection at both the cups and for the cable
  • Easy to drive, must be driven from Xbox controller headphone output
  • Open-back
  • Decent sound without an equaliser
If I can get some really good headphones that meet these criteria I'm willing to spend more but lets start at this.

adama99

If you don't mind headphones with a high clamping force, the Philips Fidelio X2HR ticks all those boxes.

Also, for some reason Philips doesn't sell the OEM pads as replacement parts (there are aftermarket pads, though).

OP
K

Koeitje

Major Contributor
If you don't mind headphones with a high clamping force, the Philips Fidelio X2HR ticks all those boxes.

Also, for some reason Philips doesn't sell the OEM pads as replacement parts (there are aftermarket pads, though).
Thanks for the tip, I'll look into that. High clamping can be annoying (I wear glasses) but I also don't have a big head :p

mysiak

You could also consider Sennheiser + this cheap adapter (same as for Audio-Technica headphones). For example HD560s are being praised here. I don't like them that much, they can be quite harsh in treble without EQ and they are lacking comfort on my head (I like Fostex T50RP much more, but they require different ear pads and parametric EQ).

2-5mm-to-3-5mm-Female-Metal-Headphones-Adapter-Jack-Connector-For-Sennheiser-HD598-Cs-SE.jpg

OP
K

Koeitje

Major Contributor
You could also consider Sennheiser + this cheap adapter (same as for Audio-Technica headphones). For example HD560s are being praised here. I don't like them that much, they can be quite harsh in treble without EQ and they are lacking comfort on my head (I like Fostex T50RP much more, but they require different ear pads and parametric EQ).

View attachment 177436
Do those use a 2.5mm connection at the cups?

mysiak

Do those use a 2.5mm connection at the cups?
Sennheiser uses 2.5mm jack (hence the adapter). Fostex uses 3.5mm, but they require right angle cable as the jack is on the side of the cup.

Top Bottom