• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NEWS: monolith amp with Hypex amplification!

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
I seem to recall @MakeMineVinyl original moniker was the company he worked for. I don't want to give it away, however, it was a 3 letter name beginning with A and ending with I.:D
That's a good hypothesis, but the fact remains I don't represent any particular company on the forum because that gets very messy, very fast. Its not much fun either. ;)

Alice of Old Vincennes

Major Contributor
In my personnel experience, it is pretty common for engineers to frustrate attorneys when being deposed and when testifying. We are good at sticking to our guns and giving the exact same answer even when the question is reframed 30 different ways.
Especially if truthful.

pfgiv

How have there been no posts in a month? I've been lurking and checking frequently for any updates, and sadly there have been none.

Yogi6807

How have there been no posts in a month? I've been lurking and checking frequently for any updates, and sadly there have been none.
I’m just curious maybe it something I should know. Why 8 channels? Wouldn’t 7 or 9 make more sense?

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
I’m just curious maybe it something I should know. Why 8 channels? Wouldn’t 7 or 9 make more sense?
The nCore modules are two channels, so 2, 4, 6, and 8 would be the logical configurations. They have the 8 channel 100W and the 8 channel 200W on their website now.

Last edited:

pfgiv

The nCore modules are two channels, so 2, 4, 6, and 8 would be the logical configurations. They have the 8 channel 100W and the 8 channel 200W on their website now.
Finally, now just need some b Stock ones to hop on in there for some savings. Can't wait to see some measurements of one of these amps.

amper42

Major Contributor
$2999 is a hefty price. THD+N starts rising above 3K.

monod.png

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you look at other amplifiers which use these nCore modules, you'll find this typical. The Monoprice uses heatsinks so that they can deliver their rated power indefinitely, which these modules cannot do if simply bolted to the thin bottom of a chassis, and has microprocessor control of startup, trigger and fault handling, and has a substantial chassis. Ya gets what ya pays for.

Jdunk54nl

Addicted to Fun and Learning
That is 8 channels of 502mp that have been upgraded for $3000.
Comparing that to Buckeyes offerings, he would have to get a new custom case to fit 4 502mps for 8 channels and would probably be in the $2100-$2200 price.

Considering monoprice upgraded the heatsinks on these, have a more refined case (with other things to get this to work properly) AND give you a 5 year warranty, the $800 isn't too bad of a price for all of that.

I originally thought the 8x200w amp was going to use 252mp's but it appears from all of their measurements (and saying 502mp on the product page), it uses 502mp's, that makes it a pretty good deal in reality.

Jdunk54nl

Ya, I thought that one was going to be using the 122mp modules due to the 8x100w rating, not the 252mp's that it does use. That is just $350 more than the buckeye 8 channel 252mp offering. I would still personally lean towards buckeye, but I can definitely see the appeal to buying this for only $350 more for everything extra you get.
They make an 8 channel that uses the 252 modules in addition to the larger amp which uses 502.

Jdunk54nl

Jdunk54nl

Buckeye amps may be able to beat the Monolith 12/31/22 in stock date. :D
It won't be long before he can't! His current lead time is already out to May 2022!

pfgiv

That is obviously a typo.

Eh, it may be, but it didn't come off as obvious to me. At 35:30 in the YT video, I get he said they "should" be out in the next couple of weeks, but that was the end of October and this is the first I've seen them on the Monoprice website. Thought they either ran into an issue or maybe just sold out of stock really quickly

amper42

Major Contributor
Check out the dual power cords on the M8250x. This would allow full use of a 20A service with 4ohm load. But who needs it that loud? :DPersonally, I would rather have four stereo Hypex NC502MP amps than one amp with 8 channels. More diversity of use, likely cooler operation and easier to sell should I no longer need it. It will be interesting to see if the unit still operates safely when one NC502MP module fails.

M8250x.jpg

Jdunk54nl

But you'd need to run each of the power cords to a separate 20A circuit, right?
In theory yes, but in actual practice, if you are using all of that power, you aren't going to be hearing for very long or are in a VERY large room.

For dynamic peaks, most circuit breakers have a certain amount of time they will pass more current than rated prior to tripping.

Top Bottom