• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Topping DX3 Pro+ Review (DAC & Headphone Amp)

pongpaktech

Hi all, I recently ordered this dac/amp and I was wondering which of the filter settings would be the best choice? From the graphs and the ESS DAC datasheet I want to say either Filter #2 or #3 (default).

DarrylG

Addicted to Fun and Learning
This driver might work.

Drivers for Windows 7 or above (MAC, IOS, Android needn't a driver)
Version: V4.82.0

As a last resort, you could install Linux, which doesn't need a driver...as far as I know.

madDog

Looking for an all in one solution and was just wondering if this is also good for iems ? Im talking things like moondrop blessing 2 and kato. Blessing have 22 ohms at 117db/vrms, kato 32 ohms at 123. Iems are not my only concern tho. Would also be using this in combination with my tv and for my PC aswell since the whole setup is in the same room. Anyone using the optical in with his tv+powered monitors ?

GeorgeWalk

I have been using MEI Pinnacle 1 iems with my DX3 Pro+ and they sound great.

MartinEighty8

I would like to know if this chain will work:

PS5 > USB out to Signstek UAC1 Mini DAC > Signstek Toslink out to miniDSP 2x4 HD >miniDSP USB out to DX3 PRO+

Doing this to avoid using the dodgy S/PDIF system on the DX3 PRO+

MartinEighty8

I would like to know if this chain will work:

PS5 > USB out to Signstek UAC1 Mini DAC > Signstek Toslink out to miniDSP 2x4 HD >miniDSP USB out to DX3 PRO+

Doing this to avoid using the dodgy S/PDIF system on the DX3 PRO+
I have the answer now, no need to respond to this.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Yes, balanced outputs and AES input. So, if you need high common mode rejection on your interconnects for some reason, the DX7 PRO has you covered.

gael

Any idea how to get rid of a hum from the phone amp? I can clearly hear it whenever I plug in earphones (NO mic), it goes away upon touching the chassis. No such hum using headphones.

MissionImpossible

Hi all. I'm new here. I've just ordered a DX3pro+ to act as a simple headphone amp + dac combo in my office setup. Currently using it with Sundara's and I noticed that several of you are using the same combo. I was wondering what was the best gain setting for Sundara's (High or Low) ? Currently using low gain since unboxing and -36dB low gain seems confortable with the Sundaras.

NB : I also have a Loxjie D30 (2021 version) on hand and trying to A/B test the differences with the DX3pro+. Tough choice.

Miiman

Hi all. I'm new here. I've just ordered a DX3pro+ to act as a simple headphone amp + dac combo in my office setup. Currently using it with Sundara's and I noticed that several of you are using the same combo. I was wondering what was the best gain setting for Sundara's (High or Low) ? Currently using low gain since unboxing and -36dB low gain seems confortable with the Sundaras.

NB : I also have a Loxjie D30 (2021 version) on hand and trying to A/B test the differences with the DX3pro+. Tough choice.
Only reason to switch to high gain is if you want it louder than what you get maxin out at -0db on the volume.

gael

Ground loop? What input are you using, USB?
Yes, USB, from the back of PC.
Tested some other ear phones - no hum. So the issue is with this specific phones, or maybe with its stock cable. Oh well, I'm getting rid of them anyway =)

Bow_Wazoo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I just wanted to mention, how much I hate this knob.
This clacking when turning is terrible. A knob has to be smooth...

dreamscene

Just joined the forum as was researching an all in one DAC-AMP setup that won't break the bank. I was laser focused on this DX3Pro+ model. The feedback of issues with the volume knob and also some crackling noise has me step back a little. Also the annoyance of the smaller headphone 3.5mm input. So I kept on searching for other 'newer' models around $200 and found that Fiio has released a similar 'chipset' all in one unit called Fiio K5 Pro ESS. It does not have bluetooth but that is something I do not require when the setup will be plugged directly to my desktop. Also I don't care for a remote or display. The main advantages that matters to me with the Fiio ESS is that it has a larger 6.35mm jack and 3 levels of gains. The advertised 'audio measurements' seems a bit more conservative than what Topping has listed. One big disadvantage of the Fiio I can see is that it has had a $50 price increase over the previous K5 Pro and now is $200 USD. More info here: https://www.fiio.com/k5proESS

P.S. I am no Fiio shill, genuine enquiry, what do people here in the know think of it compared to the DX3 Pro+?

Last edited:
Top Bottom