• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Plex vs Roon

thejck

how does emby work for remote (control) playback? For example i have multiple rasberry pi devices running stripped down os's for kodi. i can install the roon bridge on them and the windows/android roon app can control the play back remotely. similarly with plex. using plexkodiconnect and kodi i can use the plex app/brower to control the playback on the remote devices.

BillG

Major Contributor
how does emby work for remote (control) playback?

If your devices support UPnP/DLNA or Google Cast, then works just like any of the other client-server packages. They pretty much handle it the same with their interfaces, just select the device you wish to stream to and go.

thejck

If your devices support UPnP/DLNA or Google Cast, then works just like any of the other client-server packages. They pretty much handle it the same with their interfaces, just select the device you wish to stream to and go.
is the audio quality of upnp/dlna the same as playing native or similar to how roon does it? am i getting the bit-perfect lossless quality?

BillG

Major Contributor
is the audio quality of upnp/dlna the same as playing native or similar to how roon does it? am i getting the bit-perfect lossless quality?

If the receiving device supports whatever format you're sending to it natively there will be no conversion to any else.

AudioStudies

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have a miniDSP SHD that is stuck with Volumio so hopefully I can get Plex to work with it.
I am a Plex user, and will pull the trigger on a miniSDP SHD Studio soon. Curious if you got Plex to work, or if not -- have you found an alternative to Volumio? I have a thread started on the MiniDSP Studio.

AudioStudies

I bought the lifetime membership to Plex for $120, a couple months back, and haven't looked back. From what I can gather herein, and reading elsewhere, Plex keeps getting better. Roon would have been biting off a bit more than I can chew, although I must admit it is very intriguing. I am a big believer in lifetime memberships, particularly for something that one has reason to believe -- will continue to improve. I may even decide to try Emby also. For those who use both, do they ever get in the way of each other?

TimW

Major Contributor
I am a Plex user, and will pull the trigger on a miniSDP SHD Studio soon. Curious if you got Plex to work, or if not -- have you found an alternative to Volumio? I have a thread started on the MiniDSP Studio.
No I just don't use the streamer built into my SHD and I don't use Plex at home. Is there anyway to stream gapless music with Plex other than with Plexamp yet? Is Plexamp available on any streamers yet?

AudioStudies

No I just don't use the streamer built into my SHD and I don't use Plex at home. Is there anyway to stream gapless music with Plex other than with Plexamp yet? Is Plexamp available on any streamers yet?
I don't know the answers to those questions, I am relatively new to Plex. But you may want to check out some ideas (other than Plex) for streaming with the built in SHD streamer that some people provided in my thread MiniDSP SHD Studio. I don't have my unit yet, but will pull the trigger this week, and eventually check out some of their ideas.

TimW

Major Contributor
I don't know the answers to those questions, I am relatively new to Plex. But you may want to check out some ideas (other than Plex) for streaming with the built in SHD streamer that some people provided in my thread MiniDSP SHD Studio. I don't have my unit yet, but will pull the trigger this week, and eventually check out some of their ideas.
I have Roon as well and just use it connected to the SHD via USB. When the SHD finally becomes Roon certified I will switch to the ethernet input. The standard Plex app can't stream music gapless-ly so it is not acceptable for me. Plexamp can stream without gaps but only on the device it is installed on, if you use the cast feature it is no longer gapless.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have Roon as well and just use it connected to the SHD via USB. When the SHD finally becomes Roon certified I will switch to the ethernet input. The standard Plex app can't stream music gapless-ly so it is not acceptable for me. Plexamp can stream without gaps but only on the device it is installed on, if you use the cast feature it is no longer gapless.
My playback app "mconnect" has gapless by app or to renderer. Plobem solved. So Plex works great for me. Even better I can play Apple Music through and still have gapless which Aplle Music doesn't have either.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Plex just introduced AI driven "Sonic Similarity" music characterization in their latest server update. https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-playlist-features-for-plex-pass-users.25729/

Plexamp is the first player to take advantage of the features. It's still processing on my plex server at the moment. May take a few days to complete on my ~1600 albums as the ML model is pretty resource intensive to run.

Here's the link to the announcement as well. https://www.plex.tv/blog/super-sonic-get-closer-to-your-music-in-plexamp/

for Plex server users looking to test out this new feature a couple of callouts:
1) Read the blog post on how to turn it on for each music library after you upgrade to the latest version 1.24.0. It's not on by default.
2)it will only run the ML model processing during scheduled task time and hours. And it may take a day or two of compute time and the feature won't start working until it's completely finished processing your library! so you'll want to expand your scheduled task time to as long as you can (I've expanded my to run for 23 hours) while getting the initial processing done.
3)You can only see the progress in app.plex.tv web app view. You can't see it in the player apps or in the regular local web app view of your server. So make sure you're using the app.tv.web view to watch the progress bar.
4) It takes a loong time to first run. Mine is running now for 12 hours and it's done 500 albums. The CPU is definitely ramping up and down sometimes as high as 99% so be prepared to be patient and plan on your CPU getting a workout while this thing is running.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Their Player/Renderer apps are gapless. So if you use the Plex player apps to play your music it will be gapless. They have a "sweet fades" feature as well. If you are using the Chromecast protocol to stream from your server to your player of choice then no. Chromecast doesn't support gapless playback. One workaround I've used is using the Rasplex image on a Rpi as a media player box. Then you can control it using the Plex app on your smartphone or tablet. The downside is Rasplex is not an officially supported Plex player so it doesn't have all the features of Plex and it's a bit wonky sometimes. It's a very nice little implementation of Plex as a media player box though.

capitanharlock

While Roon on windows 10 is bit perfect (I see it on a Meridian USB Explorer 2 dac), neither Plex or Plexamp are.
I tried every setting but the bitrate depends on the Windows setting, not on the file.
Any hint?

thejck

is there an exclusive mode setting in plex?
i have used kodi on windows which is bit perfect and then used a kodi plugin called plexkodiconnect. you can setup to direct play where it streams the flac file directly off your samba share.

capitanharlock

Yes, there is an exclusive mode setting in Plex, and I used it.
Unfortunately is not working.
Plexamp doesn't have it, only a "maximum" music quality setting.

Neither of the two is working.

Severian

Forum Donor
I spent a few months using Plexamp as my main music player and I liked it once I had all of my metadata straightened out, but I finally signed up for Roon with the Black Friday deal and there is no looking back. It's so much better.

Reactions: m8o

m8o

Forum Donor
Lifetime Roon customer here. Ya, Plex vs. Roon isnt really a valid comparison, at least didnt seem so to me; very different goals & tenets. Plex vs. Emby, that's the comparo I explored. (And I bought into Emby fwiw, for its greater configurability & other things.)

capitanharlock

I am a Roon user, but Plex has a huge advantage: I can listen to my library wherever I am, via Plexamp.
So I am using both.

PanteraGSTK

Yes, there is an exclusive mode setting in Plex, and I used it.
Unfortunately is not working.
Plexamp doesn't have it, only a "maximum" music quality setting.

Neither of the two is working.

What player are you using on Windows other than PlexAmp? I use the regular Plex for Windows and have no issues with my DAC matching bitrate with whatever I'm playing.

Now if only the Android TV client would do the same I'd be set.

jmaz87

Plexamp is fantastic to use on phone/tablet (as dev intended) its serviceable on Windows BUT until they properly support DLNA or update their RPI OS I can't cast to my 2 Streamers which is a huge bummer...

Browser works fine but I don't see a way for exclusive mode there...

I use Volumio for convenience and it works with GF's Spotify connect, my Tidal connect and even foobar2k via DLNA but I only see Plex if its a browser on PC... so ya huge bummer... but as stated above Plex and Roon are kinda doing different things and Plex is certainly improving almost monthly.

I have a lot of movies as well as music on my server at home and both Plex and Plexamp do work basically without fault on phone/tablet.

CCWGTV (android tv) is a little wonky sometimes but I think its just struggling to parse the server or something cuz its a shit piece of hardware.

Top Bottom