• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Tidal - better with MQA DAC or not?

xirtam2005

I'm not here to discuss the merits or lack of merit with MQA. Have a straightforward question about Tidal/MQA: If you are listening to Tidal Hifi (which is now based on MQA), does modern Tidal streaming sound better with a DAC with built-in MQA, or does it make no difference with running Tidal on computer app and USB to a non-MQA DAC.

I'm considering Qobuz to stream for critical listening on another thread, but this threat is to understand benefits, if any, of using an MQA compatible DAC with Tidal.

DimitryZ

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I have 4 DACs - two with MQA and two without.

Tidal sounds fine with all of them, but maybe MQA albums are a bit better on an MQA aware DAC.

Gustard X16 is a fine choice for an MQA DAC. I also really like the SMSL M300 mkii and it's MQAless.

BlackTalon

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
probably depends on the quality of your headphones or speakers. I added a ShenzhenAudio EX5 to my computer setup a month or so back, and I enjoy listening a bit more now. I can't really do a test against non-MQA though.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
, does modern Tidal streaming sound better with a DAC with built-in MQA, or does it make no difference with running Tidal on computer app and USB to a non-MQA DAC.

I have not directly compared my MQA DACs with non-MQA on the same system in a controlled way, but have never noticed or been moved to investigate.

I wouldn't expect to.

I have both Tidal and Qobuz. Never noticed audible differences between them either.

Top Bottom