• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Bluesound Node Review (Streamer)

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Yep. I already tried it with my Topping E50 and it works perfectly fine. USB output is fully working. With Roon, you have to enable MQA Core Decoder and setup the NODE as Renderer only, otherwise you will get dropouts every 5 secs.

rudy

LuvTheMusic

There is a streamer/bridge/renderer available from iFi called the Zen Stream that is basically what you described. I bought one and have been using it but the iFi controller app has a bunch of glitches with it, especially DNLA mode to access my NAS (media server) drive. I'm frustrated enough with it to set aside the Zen Stream for now and wait until iFi cleans up the bugs in their iFi Stream app. The BluOS app had a lot of problems for a while but now is working really well with my Node 2i. I'm hoping that iFi Stream improves with age as well. On the other hand, if Bluesound/NAD came out with an upgraded bridge/renderer I'd buy one in a minute.

Tom
i bought an iFi Zen Stream and had nothing but connection problems with it. i than bought the Node 2i and have had no connection issues whatsoever. the iFi sounds very very good as does the Node 2i used as a transport. my problem i suspect is that the iFi is more network dependent and requires a fiber connection to perform ideally. unfortunately due to building issues i can not upgrade to fiber and i sent the Zen Stream back.

Frank Sol

iFi Zen Stream benefits greatly being plugged in directly with Ethernet cable

I use a WiFi Range Extender --> Cable --> Zen

RadioBuddha

iFi Zen Stream benefits greatly being plugged in directly with Ethernet cable

I use a WiFi Range Extender --> Cable --> Zen

Yes but does the iFi Zen Stream still have delays when loading internet radio stations, have they fixed that yet with a software update?

Surfnetb

This is a review and detailed measurements of the 2021 Bluesound Node wired and wireless streamer and DAC. It is the next generation from Node 2i which I reviewed a while back. The Node costs US $549 and was kindly drop shipped to me by a member. In case you don't know, Bluesound is from the same parent company as NAD.

The Node looks as attractive as the last generation:

View attachment 145926

That said, I can't figure out anything on it. Hopefully the app helps.... Not!!! There is no remote so I downloaded the app to try to figure out how to change inputs. The app downloaded fine and prompted me to upgrade the unit. I let it and it spent some 10 minutes doing so! This is way too clunky. What on earth is it doing for 10 minutes? It rebooted but then nothing would work in the app. The gear icon would do nothing. And neither would the "VCR" (player controls). It thought it was all well but it clearly could not communicate with the unit. I restarted it and the unit and still nothing. I gave up. :(

The back panel shows rich set of connections:
View attachment 145927
Inclusion of eARC over HDMI is very nice as is triggers for integration into the rest of your system. I used Ethernet for testing but there is also Wifi and Bluetooth.

Bluesound Node Meaurements
Roon nicely recognized the unit as an approved endpoint so I used it to stream by 24-bit, 1 kHz tone to get our familiar dashboard view:

View attachment 145928

This is sad. There is a lot of distortion which in this day and age is just not acceptable. I looked up the DAC chip and it is the TI PCM5242. Sadly it is specified at 94 dB SINAD at -1 dBFS. So it is bad to start with but the Node knocks a few more dBs from that, landing it straight in our "poor" bucket of DACs in red:
View attachment 145929

For good or bad, this is almost identical to what Node 2i performance.

Wanting to make sure it was not a pipeline shrink to 16 bits or something, I hooked up the Topping D30Pro to its Coax output. Performance shot way up to what the D3Pro produces on its own:

View attachment 145930

So you do have the option of adding a much higher performance DAC to it.

Surprisingly, the dynamic range is not too bad on the internal DAC:

View attachment 145931

Jitter spectrum is also clean although likely masking fair bit due to high noise floor:

View attachment 145932

Since my Audio Precision analyzer can't control the device directly, I don't have much else I can measure. But I think we know how the internal DAC performs anyway.

Since the app did not work, I had no way of characterizing the input performance even though I was all cabled up and ready to measure!

Conclusions
From pure performance point of view, the Node 2 is a disappointment. OK, I cut it fair bit of slack but come on folks, it needs to at least clear the CD hurdle of 96 dB. Adding fair bit of aggravation was the non functional BlueOS control application. The fact that it didn't work was one thing. But not saying anything when it could not control the unit is something else.

Anyway, I can't recommend the Bluesound Node from performance point of view or reliability of its App. If you use an external DAC, then it works well assuming you can get the app working.

------------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/
Do you think the Node's DAC is bad because the noise is coming from the power supply? I replaced the power supply interface and use now a very low psu 5v , it made quite a noticeable difference for me but i'd love to see with measurements how much better it is. To my ears it certainly is way better I guess that is the most important. Any members from Gold Coast Australia please contact me if you would like to bring your DAC for a A/B test, I am interested to do that.

sane4sure

LuvTheMusic

There is a streamer/bridge/renderer available from iFi called the Zen Stream that is basically what you described. I bought one and have been using it but the iFi controller app has a bunch of glitches with it, especially DNLA mode to access my NAS (media server) drive. I'm frustrated enough with it to set aside the Zen Stream for now and wait until iFi cleans up the bugs in their iFi Stream app. The BluOS app had a lot of problems for a while but now is working really well with my Node 2i. I'm hoping that iFi Stream improves with age as well. On the other hand, if Bluesound/NAD came out with an upgraded bridge/renderer I'd buy one in a minute.

Tom
Similar to Tom, I've been using the Zen Stream from iFi for a few months and have become increasingly frustrated with the constant disconnection issues with Tidal Connect. Having recently bought an RME ADI-2 Dac, I'm now looking to source a streamer that is more 'robust'. I previously had a node 2i and may take a look at a new version node.

cheapsoundguy

USB to external DAC working very well for me with SMSL SU-9 and SMSL M400.

The Node is not perfect (wish it had native Apple Music, and a better Alexa integration), but it is one of the most versatile units I've found at anything close to this price point.

And it's one of the only units that can output 24/192, unlike products like the Amazon Echo Link.

Reactions: CMB

nstzya

Sure, these apply to the Node 2i and Powernode, I would think it is the same for the new Node but not sure.

From the BluOs app (not the Spotify app or other service app) select the player and tap the three vertical dots:

View attachment 173405

Select Audio settings:

View attachment 173406

You'll get this screen; move the subwoofer slider to the on position:

View attachment 173407

When activated you'll see the crossover slider:

View attachment 173408

There has been considerable confusion regarding just what this does. For those not using the Node DAC a full range digital signal is passed out via the coax or optical and your downstream component handles the bass management. For those using the internal DAC I found this recent summary from Bluesound support: (it applies to both the Node and Powernode)

"Depending on the resource you're reading, it could be based on an older firmware version (so not necessarily conflicting, just outdated). As it works now (3.12.xx):

Subwoofer (On/Off) - turning this setting ON will apply a high pass filter to the RCA and Speaker Out (where applicable) based on the crossover set. Leaving this in the OFF position will send full range out of the RCA and Speaker Outs. Note that the SUBW OUT output will not be affected by this (this output will always be active) nor will it set a filter on the Digital Outputs (applicable to NODE and VAULT only)

Crossover: this will allow you to adjust the crossover between 40Hz and 200Hz; anything below your set crossover will be sent out of the SUBW OUT of your player. If the Subwoofer switch is set to ON (as mentioned above), everything above this crossover will be filtered out and sent to the RCA and Speaker Outputs.

Otherwise than that the SUBW OUT on your POWERNODE/NODE will output much like the RCA outs on the NODE (briefly speaking ofc).

Regards,
Sam R."

Hope this helps. Cheers

Something else to know is that the subwoofer output is always active - even when the subwoofer slider is “off”. And that the level is relative to whatever level is set on the Node. This can lead to a surprise if one converts the output to “fixed” from “variable” while thinking they’ve turned the subwoofer output off with the slider. Ask me how I know!

I use the Node as a digital preamp with DSP speakers, so the internal DAC is irrelevant to my use. That said, I’ve heard the DAC (with Purifi EVAL1) and I have to say that it sounded fine to my ears. But what I like is that I can still use the analogue sub out while using it as a digital preamp.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Something else to know is that the subwoofer output is always active - even when the subwoofer slider is “off”. And that the level is relative to whatever level is set on the Node. This can lead to a surprise if one converts the output to “fixed” from “variable” while thinking they’ve turned the subwoofer output off with the slider. Ask me how I know!

I use the Node as a digital preamp with DSP speakers, so the internal DAC is irrelevant to my use. That said, I’ve heard the DAC (with Purifi EVAL1) and I have to say that it sounded fine to my ears. But what I like is that I can still use the analogue sub out while using it as a digital preamp.
So is the only difference from this and the 2i is the USB input and HDMI output? And the DAC, which most won't use...

nstzya

…And the DAC, which most won't use...
Personally, I think the DAC performance is becoming something of an urban legend - subjectively, it’s really not that bad. One should really give it a listen for themselves.

I think you might have meant HDMI input and USB output, but yes. And I think I read about a power supply alteration?

Last edited:

ex audiophile

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Yes, the new Node has an "improved" power supply and its CPU is more powerful. Glass top with proximity sensor, presets and a less rubbery surface on the node itself. I agree with @nstzya that the DAC is likely more useful than the measurements would suggest. I had a Matrix X-Sabre3 DAC/streamer for a while and could not tell a difference between it and the analog output of my Node 2i. Of course that's just me, a trained listener might detect a difference. The more I've experienced streamers the Node is IMO in a class by itself. The plug/play nature, Bluesound OS and features are the best I've found. I just wish Bluesound would produce a Node transport, sans DAC, with all the features and a lower price tag.

bobitto

Forum Donor

Thanks for sharing. So with the sub out being used it’s technically impossible to use the fixed volume since the sub will get the full volume via sub out. If I’m planning to use if with the integrated 2ch amp, should I set the highest volume on integrated then and use the app to control the gain?

nstzya

Thanks for sharing. So with the sub out being used it’s technically impossible to use the fixed volume since the sub will get the full volume via sub out. If I’m planning to use if with the integrated 2ch amp, should I set the highest volume on integrated then and use the app to control the gain?
What I generally do is - with the Bluesound turned up to 100% - set the highest volume I’d want on my DSP speakers as well as match the subwoofer gain to this level (only about a 3 on my sub). The equivalent to this is setting the highest volume you‘d want on your integrated amp. Then I adjust down the volume in the BluOS app to a comfortable listening level. Gives me the headroom to turn something up a bit while reducing the amount of digital volume control (and any deleterious effects thereof).

And don’t forget that if your subwoofer has speaker level inputs, you always have the option of using those from your integrated amp rather than the line level from the Bluesound.

This somewhat defeats the purpose of using the Bluesound as a preamp, but if your integrated lacks remote volume control and/or subwoofer outputs…

Hagto

Usb out working here but the sound from it is dull and lifeless. As far as USB audio, for me its a no-go, thanks BS for enabling but more work needs to be done.

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Usb out working here but the sound from it is dull and lifeless. As far as USB audio, for me its a no-go, thanks BS for enabling but more work needs to be done.
I think the problem resides somewhere other than the Node.

I'm using USB out to a Topping D30Pro, and the sound is sublime. (It was great using coax, too.)

Hagto

I think the problem resides somewhere other than the Node.

I'm using USB out to a Topping D30Pro, and the sound is sublime. (It was great using coax, too.)
Very strange. I have tried with different dacs. Much better sound from spdif. Tried a lot.
Friends are saying the same, and I read that others have same experiences as mine.

Top Bottom